GDT: GM#2: Knits @ Caps - 7pm-ish

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
not sold on radish yet. liking mangiapnie. PLD seems serviceable as a 2nd C as he drives play with speed. seems to have good chemistry with Wilson.
Raddysh is there in how he thinks the game IMO. The issue with PLD is he needs to be the second or third-best player on his line (despite the contract). He does seem pretty serviceable. Some creativity, good size.

PLD-Wilson definitely ought to stay a pair. Ditto Ovechkin-Strome. The fourth line will remain intact. The rest is mixing and matching. Ideally they'd create another pair with a center that's going (presumably CMM if the early going is any indication). But that may need to wait a year...or until the spring.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I keep wondering how we just got Strome for free. He’s a stud.
Yes! He was free. Also fun stats on Strome since he started the 2022-23 season:

* most games played (stayed healthy)
* most points
* Second most goals

The is amazing value. And while it doesn’t get talked about a lot, he is part of the leadership core. He wants to win. Wants the team to better. He will have an A when OV departs, Wilson takes the C and Carlson and Strome with A’s.

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
I keep wondering how we just got Strome for free. He’s a stud.
The part that will never make sense to me is that he didn't just walk, the Blackhawks gave up his rights for absolutely no reason when they could've qualified him. I'm pretty sure the Caps ended up paying him more than he would've gotten on his QO, so it's not like he would've had negative value if he accepted the QO. Kyle Davidson just burned an asset for no reason at all. Even if he hadn't developed into a 1C it'd be an inexplicable move.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
The part that will never make sense to me is that he didn't just walk, the Blackhawks gave up his rights for absolutely no reason when they could've qualified him. I'm pretty sure the Caps ended up paying him more than he would've gotten on his QO, so it's not like he would've had negative value if he accepted the QO. Kyle Davidson just burned an asset for no reason at all. Even if he hadn't developed into a 1C it'd be an inexplicable move.
Gotta give it to Hawks. They were committed to the tank. They got good players. Might take a few years but they could be really good if they don’t f*** it up.

Different rebuild for the caps. But that was a great move to get Strome. Hopefully 2 or 3 more this year between PLD, Roy, Cherchyn, with Raddysh and Duhaime both looking good too. We have 2-3 year players looking to take a jump (Protas, McMichael, Lapierre, and even Fever. Miro and Leonard coming. Iorio, Rybinski, and Trineyev as youth behind them. It’s a (different) rebuild.

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
Gotta give it to Hawks. They were committed to the tank. They got good players. Might take a few years but they could be really good if they don’t f*** it up.

Different rebuild for the caps. But that was a great move to get Strome. Hopefully 2 or 3 more this year between PLD, Roy, Cherchyn, with Raddysh and Duhaime both looking good too. We have 2-3 year players looking to take a jump (Protas, McMichael, Lapierre, and even Fever. Miro and Leonard coming. Iorio, Rybinski, and Trineyev as youth behind them. It’s a (different) rebuild.
I get they were tanking, but why not trade him? He clearly had value or the Caps wouldn't have needed to give him 3.5M that first year. Surely they could've gotten a late round pick for him instead of... nothing?

Reactions: DWGie26

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I get they were tanking, but why not trade him? He clearly had value or the Caps wouldn't have needed to give him 3.5M that first year. Surely they could've gotten a late round pick for him instead of... nothing?
Hawks had to tender him. They didn’t want to be on the hook for his Cap hit. It is beyond questionable now, but at time, they were just dumping people. they got rid of DeBrincat, Strome, Kubalik, and Dach amongst others. A true commitment to tank. I prefer Caps model.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
OV showed almost mediocre puck-handling skills tonight
(and that, actually, is a huge compliment since his norm the last cpl years has been horrible)

Quite the satisfying game tonight, Eichel/Stone only got a cpl sniffs of turning it on, bounces went the Caps way, LT made a cpl great saves, and no passengers the whole 60

Before the game I figured limiting VGK to anything under 5 goals is a moral victory for WSH

Saw some extremely encouraging stuff all night from Chych, love having a 1LD again

hangman005

It's my first day.
Apr 19, 2015
Iceland II the hotter crappier version.
Hill was their Cup winning goalie. The knock on him is staying healthy. Sammy could end up getting more starts depending on Hill health through the season.
Funny thing is as much as people took about the ruthlessness of our head office, many on HFVGK recognized it was lightning in a bottle, I don't think we would have been terribly upset if we hadn't resigned. In hindsight, I wish we didn't as it cost us LT.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Audio is god awful jesus

Yeah that was driving me nuts. Benninati's voice was occasionally punching loud. No excuse for that in a home game broadcast.

New defense, same amount of breakaways. Something about Carbs system needs some tweaking.

TVR uncharacteristically gave one up right off an O-zone face-off. No excuse for that.

Call it early season rust. But if that crap is happening later in the season then it's a coaching problem.

Reactions: Fred22406Capsfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad