GDT: Gm 16: Detroit at Anaheim, @ 7pm Pacific on Nov 15

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Post game show shared some insights on McTavish.

* Eakins refers to McTavish as Mack-T.
* McTavish's development process is by both the coaching staff and mgmt, as shared by Eakins.
* Herbert gave us great info and info that was actually shared during training camp about McTavish's usage and play. Herbert cited how McTavish has had a very long season last year and hasn't had a true break off from hockey. Leaving him on the 4th line and getting PP time to help manage McTavish's minutes. I do remember Eakins saying the same thing about McTavish at training camp, especially limiting McTavish's minutes.

Although, McTavish was playing top-6 wing to start the season, so I dunno. I might understand about playing him at center and the putting him back on wing to reduce the responsibilities for a few games. If managing minutes and responsibilities, then I guess it's a development season and making McTavish last the whole season.

I kind of agree, but with a two man advantage in a one goal game in the third their execution was downright atrocious. The PP can't be relied on to be anything but inconsistent

I think Terry was forcing things too much with a cross ice pass when he had Fowler up top to be safe. We lost possession with that Terry mistake.

DarthYenik

Sep 15, 2011
California
Great game to be there live. Loved seeing the redwings fans get cocky and then leave with their tails between their legs.
That was kind of funny. Don’t give that stick back. If they want it, that guy needs to break it.
They went and took the stick. The funny part was the usher going through the crowd asking where it was and people were yelling “run” and “stick it down your pant leg”. I think some wings fans ratted them out.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
I want to start that still, somehow, the atmosphere is great on a Tuesday night game against the f***ing Red Wings. I hate the Wings, but there 's no shot 90% of the fans feel the same way and I contribute nothing. Honestly I don't know how there is that much energy in the building, but kudos to everyone who goes and cheers for the team. It's honestly incredible and I appreciate you all.

Special teams were good tonight I thought.

I immediately thought, oh put McTavish in that trigger position where he's been successful his entire life and look what happens. I know he didn't score tonight in that exact position, but he probably should've twice and it just makes too much sense. Z can be dangerous anywhere and McTavish is deadly in that position, just f***ing use it, like what are we doing and trying to reinvent the wheel?

I kind of agree, but with a two man advantage in a one goal game in the third their execution was downright atrocious. The PP can't be relied on to be anything but inconsistent

I noticed McTavish was substituted for Strome in that instance, but that may have been an equipment issue or something else. If it wasn't, then that's simply a coaching failure because McTavish's best PP attribute is his one timer and on the 5-3 that's literally what you SHOULD be looking for.

Fowler finished with 30:27

I thought he was solid tonight, like most of the season. I want more from him, but it's hard to expect that when he's playing so f***ing much. I'd much prefer him playing 20 minutes of hard driving minutes than 30 minutes of solid play where he can't press the issue because he doesn't have the legs.

Post game show shared some insights on McTavish.

* Eakins refers to McTavish as Mack-T.
* McTavish's development process is by both the coaching staff and mgmt, as shared by Eakins.
* Herbert gave us great info and info that was actually shared during training camp about McTavish's usage and play. Herbert cited how McTavish has had a very long season last year and hasn't had a true break off from hockey. Leaving him on the 4th line and getting PP time to help manage McTavish's minutes. I do remember Eakins saying the same thing about McTavish at training camp, especially limiting McTavish's minutes.

Although, McTavish was playing top-6 wing to start the season, so I dunno. I might understand about playing him at center and the putting him back on wing to reduce the responsibilities for a few games. If managing minutes and responsibilities, then I guess it's a development season and making McTavish last the whole season.

I think Terry was forcing things too much with a cross ice pass when he had Fowler up top to be safe. We lost possession with that Terry mistake.

I'm on board with centering the 4th line and top PP minutes. I'm all about minutes in positions to succeed. I think he should be at center and absolutely should be on that top PP in that right half wall position.

Last edited:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
They've had more good periods than bad ones over the last handful of games. More baby steps.
Yep. We're not outshot 1:2 anymore, and we've looked competitive. Just very unexleriemced letting that Hawks win slip away. This game we turned it around tho :) PP looked solid AND scored (McT was on a mission there).

Definitely steps in the right direction. Now back on the road vs strong Winnipeg team, will see how it goes. Currently, we're still last in the league

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Beating the Red Wings always feels good.

8152797812b5a6dc70fc5a9febe6efae57202f39.gif

Kariya 9

Feb 28, 2014
Still the most obnoxious fan base that ever enters the Pond. Good to see them get owned by our last place team.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Whomever we win this year, should get eliminated down to the AHL for the rest of the year. Starting with the RedWings. We're the worst team in the league (officially) and well, Red Wings were even worse.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
That was Fowler klingberg and mctavish best games this year. Need those types of games from Fowler and klingberg on a more consistent basis as they are supposed to be our top 2 dmen

Mctavish can score a lot of points if he plays on that cross ice area on power play.

I don’t mind strand and white on roster…. Seemed fairly reliable so far.

Zegras looks about 10x more confident than he did in first 5 games of the season

Gibson made some timely saves.

I think having carrick back is a moral boost.

Our powerplay is 10ish percent back of league average and our pk is close to 15, fixing those 2 areas would go a long way for the team. Keep pumping those stats up klingberg, we need another 1st at the deadline!

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That was Fowler klingberg and mctavish best games this year. Need those types of games from Fowler and klingberg on a more consistent basis as they are supposed to be our top 2 dmen

Mctavish can score a lot of points if he plays on that cross ice area on power play.

Zegras looks about 10x more confident than he did in first 5 games of the season

Our powerplay is 10ish percent back of league average and our pk is close to 15, fixing those 2 areas would go a long way for the team. Keep pumping those stats up klingberg, we need another 1st at the deadline!

Good morning, glad to see someone on here so early, lol. Anyway yeah very good points. Think this was their best overall game of the season. If they can improve special teams they will see more wins, maybe even get their first in regulation. Lol.

The wins are not even that important now, just playing competitive hockey with the kids looking good and contributing like last night.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
That was Fowler klingberg and mctavish best games this year.

Good morning, glad to see someone on here so early, lol. Anyway yeah very good points. Think this was their best overall game of the season. If they can improve special teams they will see more wins, maybe even get their first in regulation. Lol.

The wins are not even that important now, just playing competitive hockey with the kids looking good and contributing like last night.
1 thing I like a lot is zegras look off pass …. There was a play in the 2nd I think where he didn’t even look mctavish way and nailed him cross ice… that’ll be a very dangerous effective move.

Still shocked at how little assist zegras has in his career…. Because it seems like he makes 2 tap in passes a night

Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That was Fowler klingberg and mctavish best games this year.

1 thing I like a lot is zegras look off pass …. There was a play in the 2nd I think where he didn’t even look mctavish way and nailed him cross ice… that’ll be a very dangerous effective move.

Still shocked at how little assist zegras has in his career…. Because it seems like he makes 2 tap in passes a night

Thats an indication of his line-mates lack of finish. If he is with Terry a lot and the PP gets going he will pick up more apples. I’m glad he picked up two last night, he was setting up his line-mates all night with nice passes.

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
Yep. We're not outshot 1:2 anymore, and we've looked competitive. Just very unexleriemced letting that Hawks win slip away. This game we turned it around tho :) PP looked solid AND scored (McT was on a mission there).

Definitely steps in the right direction. Now back on the road vs strong Winnipeg team, will see how it goes. Currently, we're still last in the league
I don't think it's a coincidence that in the 2 games they've not been wildy outshot, that the human black hole #22 isn't playing ...

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
2nd period was a bit lacking in entertainment value, but the rest was pretty exciting. Nice to see McTavish get some PP time and as many have mentioned, he looked like he belonged there.

Bottom pairing doesn't seem like a complete adventure now that Shattenkirk has been out. I don't see it lasting very long, but they seem decent enough to get the job done more often than not.

Scratching Comtois and playing Jones was an odd move to me. Comtois seemed to be coming on as of late and Jones has struggled a fair bit this season. Although, I'd prefer to see Jones in a checking role rather than Comtois. There's just no easy way to solidify the bottom 6 it seems.

Also, he didn't have much of an impact on the game but it was great to see Carrick back. Hopefully he'll be back to his old self in the coming weeks.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Scratching Comtois and playing Jones was an odd move to me. Comtois seemed to be coming on as of late and Jones has struggled a fair bit this season. Although, I'd prefer to see Jones in a checking role rather than Comtois. There's just no easy way to solidify the bottom 6 it seems.
They should both be in the lineup, and Leason should be scratched or waived.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Dallas Eakins coaching decisions read like “ ok gmPv if you claim someone, I will play them if course master plz I’m on your side plz don’t fire me” a true head coach would snap scratch a newly acquired player who isn’t better than the existing roster if that’s best for the team

Reactions: DarthYenik

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Unfortunately I agree, he’s just really bad. I like him a lot too. Just unfortunate.

Yeah it's hard to even play the "well maybe a change of scenery..." card with him because we know he's a great teammate who has worked his butt off. Opportunity has been fairly wide open/endless and it just doesn't look like it's likely to come together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad