GDT: GM 1 | Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers | 7:00PM PST | Sportsnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
I’m sure the coaches have their reasons, but Dowling on the pp make 0 sense. He is a low scoring player. Either Podkolzin or Hoglander are better offensively. I think Podz will earn his way onto the 2nd unit quickly.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
On a positive note, for pretty much just myself, kinda neat that 3 rookies are in the starting lineup. Also weird for a team trying to compete to be doing that.

Reactions: DL44

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Looking like a fantastic sports day.

Canada men’s soccer plays at home to Panama at 4. I don’t want to say they need to win because they’re positioned OK right now but a win would mean they’re on target and that the last few draws were meaningful even if they didn’t get a win.

Canucks play away with a brand new defense against Batman and Robin. Not a must win by any means but it would be nice to see us start to control games instead of rope-a-dope.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Like I said, green is just not a Höglander guy.
There’s more than enough signs to show this, he probably thinks he’s god awful defensively, Because every little praise always gets followed with some sort of sleight on his defensive work

I mean it makes sense, look at the high standard of defense Green holds all the rest of the players on this team to….

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Why not just move Horvat down and throw in Garland/Hog onto PP1 to avoid having Dowling there on the PP at all?

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Story if this opening match is…

Dowling…

Would not even go bowling with Dowling. Why is Dowling in the 2nd PP? What does Dowling bring to this team that Hoglander can’t? Seeing Dowling in the 2nd PP just makes me feel like a Downy.

Travis Green is a trash coach.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Why not just move Horvat down and throw in Garland/Hog onto PP1 to avoid having Dowling there on the PP at all?
Horvat is an elite PP player and should be on PP1.

I don’t think that is the solution.

Reactions: Nucker101

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
By the way, someone mentioned it before. When Benning inherited this team we had:

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Bieksa

As our top 4, both Edler and Tanev were in their 20’s and Hamhuis and Bieksa just starting early 30’s.

7 years on the rebuild journey and we have:
OEL-Hughes
Poolman-Myers.

Unless Hughes can bring it up a notch, the old guard is way better then the current lineup. Proof me wrong Poolman, but this D is looking like the weakest in years.

WishfulThinker

Jun 10, 2021
Demko is going to have a busy a night. Management better hope for their sakes that he starts the season running.

In principle, I'm not 'against' safe low-event players like Highmore/Chiasson on the roster, since parking the bus can be a strategy in itself when you're against top players like McDavid/Drai ....but I'm not sure our defensemen are built for that type of game.

Feels like Schenn vs McDavid last change is just asking for trouble too.

Reactions: Indiana

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
By the way, someone mentioned it before. When Benning inherited this team we had:

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Bieksa

As our top 4, both Edler and Tanev were in their 20’s and Hamhuis and Bieksa just starting early 30’s.

7 years on the rebuild journey and we have:
OEL-Hughes
Poolman-Myers.

Unless Hughes can bring it up a notch, the old guard is way better then the current lineup.

To be fair, it was supposed to be

OEL - Myers/Poolman
Hughes - Hamonic

Which is an improvement but not much.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Demko is going to have a busy a night. Management better hope for their sakes that he starts the season running.

In principle, I'm not 'against' safe low-event players like Highmore/Chiasson on the roster, since parking the bus can be a strategy in itself when you're against top players like McDavid/Drai ....but I'm not sure our defensemen are built for that type of game.

Feels like Schenn vs McDavid is just asking for trouble too.

To be honest no one minds Dowling, Chiasson, if they just stick to the fourth lines, Chiasson is a serviceable fourth liner and I think Dowling and Highmore will play like their jobs on the line.

It becomes a problem when Travis Green puts them in top 6 roles and PP roles, we’ve seen this happen to many times over the years.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
On the plus side the faster they get through this season the faster we can jettison this coaching staff and front office.

If this is a playoff team it's only on the back of Demko me thinks.

Agreed, based on Hfboards assessment, they are shooting themselves in the foot here. If things go south fast I want these Baboons fired into the sun.

Its a win win situation, we do great that’s great, we do bad then I think time is finally up for these idiots running this team.

Reactions: Indiana

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Green has the unique ability to form lines in a way that none of them are good for execution of a specific strategy ie score goals, shut down etc.

sadly i think we are going to get destroyed tonight and the hard questions will begin

Reactions: JumpierPegasus

LickTheEnvelope

Weird time to be a Canucks fan 2024
Dec 16, 2008
Sidney, formerly Vancouver
Agreed, based on Hfboards assessment, they are shooting themselves in the foot here. If things go south fast I want these Baboons fired into the sun.

Its a win win situation, we do great that’s great, we do bad then I think time is finally up for these idiots running this team.

I hope they jettison everyone prior to the trade deadline if it's not looking good.

Last thing we need is Benning and Green making stupid decisions on making a playoff push.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Rathbone Burroughs should be interesting

Them plus whatever limited minutes Podkolzin gets are the most fun aspects of this game. Curious to see how Garland fits in as well. Opening few weeks of the season can be very weird, though. So many strange things happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad