TSN: Giordano's Contract Watch - initial ask is $9M/year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I honestly would consider trading him. I knew he would want big money. I just don't know if he is worth the risk. That is just my opinion though.
This is how negotiations work. He starts high, team stars low and the gap closes.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
People really don't understand negotiation.. It's a pretty common thing, I'm sure almost everyone has boughten something used, or a car, yet most seem so clueless when it comes to negotiating?

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Negotiations are understandable to most I believe. The facts seem to be the thing that is throwing everyone for a loop. 1 point in 4 playoff games, which happened in his second season.. 7 years ago. Only played 82 games twice in his career in a lesser role. Has never broken 50 points in his career. He will be 33 when his new contract kicks in and he has 125 games worth of quality hockey that he could even be considered a #1 to this point. I see a gigantic land mine waiting to happen if we stretch past 7 x 4. I am still skeptical about even paying him that because our window of opportunity to win will likely be in 4-5 years time. I would trade him personally. This one stinks to me.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Refer to the main board for my reply.

On that note, I'll pull a Lebowski and just say

That's like, your opinion, man.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Fans can get ridiculous when it comes to contract extensions. A bunch get hysteric at opening numbers, others seem to think the upper limit is still 39M, and some act like they'll be the ones actually paying for the contract.

Oh, and then they're all those morons who think blatant cap circumvention contracts are valid comparisons for new deals.

Seems to getting worse too. Can't wait for the reactions when Stamkos (most probably) opens with an ask of 13M+.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Pretty safe bet that if this is coming out in the media now, talks have most likely been under way for a while now. I find it interesting that this would surface just before the draft. Could be that the Flames aren't in the same ball park and are curious about offers. Every team out there knows he doesn't have a NTC and almost every team could fit Gio@$2 million, even if it was only for a year. Either way, over 7 and the franchise should at least explore options.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
He deserves top dollar for a couple of years for sure. If he's still at the top of the league then renegotiate the next two years of his contract (in fact have this in the contract) to bring otherwise reduced numbers for years three and four up to 9 million as well. After that, the drop off should be happening to the 5-7 million range.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm wondering if we just pay him 3 years at 8.5? Why does it need to be longer in length? Gio loves Calgary, Iggy always got 3 year extensions. He can always be signed to an extension in 3 years based on his level of play then.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I was thinking an 8 x 5, but I wouldn't mind an 8.5x4 to subtract away a UFA year.

A 7.5 x 5 or 8 x 4 would be steals in my book.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I'm wondering if we just pay him 3 years at 8.5? Why does it need to be longer in length? Gio loves Calgary, Iggy always got 3 year extensions. He can always be signed to an extension in 3 years based on his level of play then.

I'm sure Treliving would love that, Gio's camp, not so much, this is his last chance at a big money contract, guarantee he wants security to finish out his career

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
wasn't Iggy's last deal 5 or 6 years?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
wasn't Iggy's last deal 5 or 6 years?

I believe he had a 3 year from 05/06 - 07/08. Then I think you are correct, he signed a long term deal in 08/09 - 12/13.

After reading all the posts in here and giving this a lot of thought, I really think we should keep Gio's deal @ 3 years even if the dollars cost more. We need to remain competitive through our younger guys prime years and having Gio sign a deal in 6-8 year range could really affect that.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I believe he had a 3 year from 05/06 - 07/08. Then I think you are correct, he signed a long term deal in 08/09 - 12/13.

After reading all the posts in here and giving this a lot of thought, I really think we should keep Gio's deal @ 3 years even if the dollars cost more. We need to remain competitive through our younger guys prime years and having Gio sign a deal in 6-8 year range could really affect that.

It depends... If we can frontload him his first 2-3 years and then have him on a low 5-6m cap on the last 2-3, I think it would be a great signing to sign him 6 years. He's already stated he wants to stay in Calgary, I'm pretty sure he wants to get a long term contract. I just hope Treliving gets the $ amount down if Gio is looking for term.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Holy triple post Batman! I don't think I have ever heard the Flames underpay a star.

Not recently. The early 90s were an entirely different story though. The Flames lost pretty much every star they had from the 89 Cup team because they tried to nickel and dime them.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

I would prefer a 4-5 year deal.

9-9-8-7-6. Then if he wants a NMC then knock off another 500k per year and you have him in @ 7.3 if my math is correct. I think this deal is fair to both parties.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

I was just thinking to myself "Would I be upset if they signed him for 3 years, $27 million?" I don't think I would be. Sure it's a lot, but it's short. I could live with it.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I was just thinking to myself "Would I be upset if they signed him for 3 years, $27 million?" I don't think I would be. Sure it's a lot, but it's short. I could live with it.

This is how I view it, he's our captain, he loves the city, I don't see why he wouldn't want to resign in 3 years time given we are trending up and have such a young core. The shorter term gives us the flexibility to pay him accordingly when the contract expires or address team needs as necessary. Signing him to longer term deal eliminates that and it really won't reduce his cap by probably more than 1.5 million a season.

For his age alone, I would not hand out anything over a 4 year deal personally. It's too much money over too many years and I just think it's to risky. I could honestly live with 9 over 3 years.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
This is how I view it, he's our captain, he loves the city, I don't see why he wouldn't want to resign in 3 years time given we are trending up and have such a young core. The shorter term gives us the flexibility to pay him accordingly when the contract expires or address team needs as necessary. Signing him to longer term deal eliminates that and it really won't reduce his cap by probably more than 1.5 million a season.

Because a 6 year guaranteed contract is guaranteed for 6 years. He knows just as well as we know that there's a chance that he declines over the next few years and becomes a 3/4/5/6 defenceman. If he signs a contract for 3 years, he could be looking at FA next year as a depth piece. It's in his and his family's best interests to get as many total dollars now as he can, whether that be because of term or because of AAV, because you never know what the future holds, and how much he may be able to earn after this contract. There's even a chance that this contract is his last in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium