TSN: Giordano's Contract Watch - initial ask is $9M/year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Trade him now, before it's too late! Let's bring in a young Iggy. Gio to the Sharks or Aves

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
Any expectation to have Gio signed for less than $7m AAV is ludicrous. I'd be happy to have Gio signed long-term anywhere between $7.5-8.5m AAV, if he somehow signs between $7-7.5m AAV I'd consider that a discount for his services.

I lol'd at some of the trade board reactions saying that Flames fans expect him signed for under $7m AAV... I think consensus here has been $7m+ for a few months now.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Any expectation to have Gio signed for less than $7m AAV is ludicrous. I'd be happy to have Gio signed long-term anywhere between $7.5-8.5m AAV, if he somehow signs between $7-7.5m AAV I'd consider that a discount for his services.

I lol'd at some of the trade board reactions saying that Flames fans expect him signed for under $7m AAV... I think consensus here has been $7m+ for a few months now.

They honestly have no idea how good Gio is, it's mind-boggling.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Something to consider about a $9 million x 5 year deal is it may make it unappetizing for a new team not located in Las Vegas to claim him in an expansion draft. Hell of a risky move to expose him, I admit.

What's the compensation if he gets taken under that kind of contact? Might be worth the risk if it allows us to protect another player...maybe. Not like he's a superstar that will put fans in the seats, just a real good guy you know.

I'd be ok offering 9 mil for the first two years, and lowering it to 4mil in the last year. His age will be our best negotiating tool.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
What's the compensation if he gets taken under that kind of contact? Might be worth the risk if it allows us to protect another player...maybe. Not like he's a superstar that will put fans in the seats, just a real good guy you know.

I'd be ok offering 9 mil for the first two years, and lowering it to 4mil in the last year. His age will be our best negotiating tool.

No compensation, but it would allow protection of another player.

Like I said - pretty risky to do. Like playing with matches at the gas pump.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
A player turning 33 as a new contract gets 5 years MAX from me, preferably four. If he wants more than 5 years, I'd trade him. I'm dead serious too. Shouldn't be giving 6-8 year deals to players that age

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
A player turning 33 as a new contract gets 5 years MAX from me, preferably four. If he wants more than 5 years, I'd trade him. I'm dead serious too. Shouldn't be giving 6-8 year deals to players that age

Yeah that would be rough but by year 6 maybe the smart move.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Oh don't get me wrong...I have zero expectation of the contract being similar to the one's in which I have proposed. I am expecting an AAV of around 8M, I just think we will putting the future in jeopardy with such a contract. A 36/37/38 year old Giordano at an 8M dollar cap hit is going to cause problems.

TeMPZ

Apr 20, 2004
Great White North

Term is way more important with this extension than AAV, so just saying "long-term" like you did above is way too vague.

For instance I'd give him $8.5m+ on a three year contract without batting an eye. I'd likely give him $8.0m+ on a four year deal without batting an eye too. But I'd be leary about giving him $7m+ on any deal longer than four years.

He'll be 36 in his fourth year of any extension we give him. History has proven that maintaining an elite level of play as a blueliner >35 is rare. There are maybe half a dozen examples of dmen who have had elite seasons deserving of that kind of money after their 36th birthday over the past ~10 seasons. It's pretty much limited to Lidstrom, Chara, Pronger, Zubov, Schneider and Rafalski. And the drop off at 37 is even steeper, you're pretty much looking at only first ballot HHOF caliber players at that point no matter how far back you go (Lidstrom, Bourque, MacInnis, Chelios, Harvey etc.).

His regression is unavoidable. If he wants term longer than four years we need him to accept a lower AAV. I'm hoping Treliving can make some magic happen.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

I think it depends on the term too, that can not be ignored.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I expected him to ask for this much or more in his initial offer. They will agree to something in the high 7s or low 8s. The length is what I am curious about.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Gio better play like Keith and Pronger combined if he wants 9m.

7m/4-5y or less and you guys have a pretty good deal, anything more and you might be looking at a Brian Campbell situation.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Something to consider about a $9 million x 5 year deal is it may make it unappetizing for a new team not located in Las Vegas to claim him in an expansion draft. Hell of a risky move to expose him, I admit.

He could be getting league max and he'd get snatched up in an expansion draft. He'd be guaranteed to be the best player on the expansion team by a wide margin.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Gio better play like Keith and Pronger combined if he wants 9m.

7m/4-5y or less and you guys have a pretty good deal, anything more and you might be looking at a Brian Campbell situation.

His level of play is not the issue; it's his long-term health imo, Gio arguably plays as well as a Duncan Keith when healthy... I'm fairly certain he'd have been a Norris finalist this year had he not missed the last 1/4 of the season, and nobody in their right mind would be balking at $9M if that was the case. That torn bicep will surely go down as the most expensive injury of Gio's career, when you think about it.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I'd love to see 5x 7.5M as the final contract.
Though based on recent signings he could potentially get 8

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I honestly would consider trading him. I knew he would want big money. I just don't know if he is worth the risk. That is just my opinion though.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
If Gio signs for 6.5, I'll eat my hat. He's going to get paid and rightfully so.

I've heard the big thing with contracts is total dollars more than AAV. So maybe (maybe) by that logic he'd be more (or equally as) amenable to 39 mil over 6 years than 37.5 mil over 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad