Gerard Gallant Named New Coach of Florida Panthers

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
www.miamiestatebuyers.com
I wish they would have stepped up and got Blysma. Besides being a good coach he's a great name and I think that free agents/players/fans are attracted to a team that is willing to spend to get things turned around and it would have made a few headlines around the league with that kind of hire and show the panthers are serious this offseason with the new ownership.

I think he was the best coach available and we should have paid him what he wanted as his résumé is impressive regardless that he has 2 of the top players in the NHL. I'm fine with the hire but I think after all this wait the panthers settled here because they didn't want to step up and couldnt get the number 1 guy. I hope this is not the attitude come free agency and we settle for the scraps after striking out with the top FAs. This is strike 1 in my book.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
I wish they would have stepped up and got Blysma. Besides being a good coach he's a great name and I think that free agents/players/fans are attracted to a team that is willing to spend to get things turned around and it would have made a few headlines around the league with that kind of hire and show the panthers are serious this offseason with the new ownership.

I think he was the best coach available and we should have paid him what he wanted as his résumé is impressive regardless that he has 2 of the players in the NHL. I'm fine with the hire but I think after all this wait the panthers settled here because they didn't want to step up and get the number 1 guy. I hope this is not the attitude come free agency and we settle for the scraps after striking out with the top guys. This is strike 1 in my book.

I'd rather have a guy who's proven he's good with young players and a coach that players seems to like and respect. We don't need a coach for his name, we need him for how he coaches.

floridada

Jan 31, 2009
Florida
Because the guy who played Jarome Iginla out of position in favor of Pascal Dupuis and whose team was a complete failure in the Olympics (and not to mention every NHL year after 2009) was the right choice, despite the hefty salary demands.

Just because you have the money doesn't mean you should spend it all willy-nilly.

Yep. I can't remember who it was (Parise maybe?) that basically blamed the Finland game on Bylsma's strategy.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
As I said in the other thread, I was torn between Bylsma and Gallant, but I am happy we with GG.

Sounds like a great coach, really cares about his players and handles the kids well, which is important. A lot of what I heard about Bylsma is that he couldn't handle young kids properly and never knew how to utilize them.

I'm excited to see what he can do. Now it's time for Tallon to beef up that roster.

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
I'd rather have a guy who's proven he's good with young players and a coach that players seems to like and respect. We don't need a coach for his name, we need him for how he coaches.

Blysma can coach and is not just a name. His resume backs it up and Tallon waited for him and wanted him but couldn't get the deal done for whatever reason. We are supposedly going after big free agents this offseason and get more experienced here so Blysma would have been great here.

I'm just saying they settled in this move and I hope this is not what we're going to see in free agency and come in second and sugar coat who we settle with. We have seen this all before.

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL

I think he was the best coach available and we should have paid him what he wanted as his résumé is impressive regardless that he has 2 of the top players in the NHL. I'm fine with the hire but I think after all this wait the panthers settled here because they didn't want to step up and couldnt get the number 1 guy. I hope this is not the attitude come free agency and we settle for the scraps after striking out with the top FAs. This is strike 1 in my book.

After hearing everything that media, coaches and former/current players have said about Gallant since his hiring it's clear that he is a great name as well, just not in the public eye. Sure Bylsma has a cup, but he was also recently fired and seems to be on a down swing. Don't forget, the Panthers aren't the only team to not hire him this offseason, there were several vacancies and it looks like he won't get any of them. Just because the Panthers took the MUCH cheaper option, it doesn't mean that they picked the wrong option. From what I hear Gallant will be great w/ the young guys and seems to be a guy that players love to play for. I know it's only junior hockey, but no coach has ever had a 3-year run like Gallant had in Saint John. The big question now will be if the team can build a roster for Gallant to work with.

I understand the appeal of Bylsma and I think he would have been a nice choice as well, but I really don't see that big a difference between him and Gallant at this point, especially not a $1.5-$2 million a year difference. Gallant has earned a shot and I think he'll do well with it ... if he pieces are in place.

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
After hearing everything that media, coaches and former/current players have said about Gallant since his hiring it's clear that he is a great name as well, just not in the public eye. Sure Bylsma has a cup, but he was also recently fired and seems to be on a down swing. Don't forget, the Panthers aren't the only team to not hire him this offseason, there were several vacancies and it looks like he won't get any of them. Just because the Panthers took the MUCH cheaper option, it doesn't mean that they picked the wrong option. From what I hear Gallant will be great w/ the young guys and seems to be a guy that players love to play for. I know it's only junior hockey, but no coach has ever had a 3-year run like Gallant had in Saint John. The big question now will be if the team can build a roster for Gallant to work with.

I understand the appeal of Bylsma and I think he would have been a nice choice as well, but I really don't see that big a difference between him and Gallant at this point, especially not a $1.5-$2 million a year difference. Gallant has earned a shot and I think he'll do well with it ... if he pieces are in place.

Gallant is fine and I'm sure he will do a good job. All I am saying is that we all know Blysma was number 1 on there board. Gallant was not. Blysma rightfully wants to get paid and I'm sure he will pick where he wants to go and i dont blame him for not coming here if the panthers didn't want to pay his price he feels he deserves. I just look at it as a precursor to what might be in getting big FA stars here. I don't want to come in second. We have to outspend teams and overpay to sign the best FAs and I am getting the vibe we are in for a disappointment.

Also I disagree with you that Blysma is in a down swing. Every coach gets fired too especially when a gm covers his butt for not putting better pieces around the stars.You can't fire all the players when the team underachieves and the coach always gets the ax. The penguins expect to be in the east finals or playing in the Stanley cup finals so expectations were sky high and someone has to take the fall if it doesn't happen.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011

There's a Finnish saying "ei se ole tyhmä joka pyytää, vaan se joka maksaa", which translates to around "he/she who asks isn't stupid, it's the one who pays".

As others have pointed out already, Tallon isn't the only GM that passed on him.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
I just read the whole thread on the Montreal board. It's worth a read. Like thiavun said, it's kinda 50/50, but by and large they consider him a great player's coach and a great guy with good scheme/technical skills... much of the discussion over there seems to center on how much of and what he was actually responsible for. There's a lot of bashing of their PP, but they don't know for sure that that was Gallant. And seriously - could ours get any worse? This has got to be an upgrade.

That question has to be asked at the presser. Please Jameson/crew ask that for us , curious more than anything.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl

I'd rather have a guy who's cheap and has more success in juniors than in the NHL. There's no reason to spend money on a coach that attracts free agents when you've got beaches like these in Florida. I'm telling you now, once Matt Moulson, Thomas Vanek, and Marion Gaborik find out Gallant is the new head coach of the Florida Panthers they're gonna turn a blind eye to every other offer and tell their wives and children they're moving to Florida for a discount cause there's something special going on down here.

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
Blysma can coach and is not just a name. His resume backs it up and Tallon waited for him and wanted him but couldn't get the deal done for whatever reason. We are supposedly going after big free agents this offseason and get more experienced here so Blysma would have been great here.

I'm just saying they settled in this move and I hope this is not what we're going to see in free agency and come in second and sugar coat who we settle with. We have seen this all before.

Gallant is fine and I'm sure he will do a good job. All I am saying is that we all know Blysma was number 1 on there board. Gallant was not. Blysma rightfully wants to get paid and I'm sure he will pick where he wants to go and i dont blame him for not coming here if the panthers didn't want to pay his price he feels he deserves. I just look at it as a precursor to what might be in getting big FA stars here. I don't want to come in second. We have to outspend teams and overpay to sign the best FAs and I am getting the vibe we are in for a disappointment.

Also I disagree with you that Blysma is in a down swing. Every coach gets fired too especially when a gm covers his butt for not putting better pieces around the stars.You can't fire all the players when the team underachieves and the coach always gets the ax. The penguins expect to be in the east finals or playing in the Stanley cup finals so expectations were sky high and someone has to take the fall if it doesn't happen.

Prove the bolded. Your disappointment is based on speculation.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
Little blast from the past with Gallant playing and Tallon commentating.

-ghoste

Maybe Huberdeau gets his chippiness from Gallant?? Hold on after every whistle folks... Huberdeau was getting into battles a lot at the World Championships. I see Huberdeau's game reaching another level before AND after whistles. Gallant likely wants him to continue to play with an edge.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I'd rather have a guy who's cheap and has more success in juniors than in the NHL. There's no reason to spend money on a coach that attracts free agents when you've got beaches like these in Florida. I'm telling you now, once Matt Moulson, Thomas Vanek, and Marion Gaborik find out Gallant is the new head coach of the Florida Panthers they're gonna turn a blind eye to every other offer and tell their wives and children they're moving to Florida for a discount cause there's something special going on down here.

professor_frink_sarcasm_detector-68030.gif

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Maybe Huberdeau gets his chippiness from Gallant?? Hold on after every whistle folks... Huberdeau was getting into battles a lot at the World Championships. I see Huberdeau's game reaching another level before AND after whistles. Gallant likely wants him to continue to play with an edge.
So, Huberdeau is the enforcer next year?

E4

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl

Then again, maybe he would have gotten his superstar potential from Bylsma? Superstar vs enforcer, hmm...

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
That was from his captain in St. John before him. Hubey's always been like Giroux in that sense of being a guy who has that high skill but will be involved in scrums and drop gloves when he needs to.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
So... You guys think Pat Riley fires coach Spo and hires Chalmers' college coach to turn the Heat around next season? Chalmers' coach won the NCAA ya know!

Last edited:

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007

How are you so sure that Bylsma would attract free agents better than Gallant? It seems like you're freaking out over complete unknowns.

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
Prove the bolded. Your disappointment is based on speculation.

Obviously its speculation because none of us are in Tallon's inner circle but let me ask this, do you think Tallon was waiting for an assistant coach or Blysma because obviously he was waiting for somebody and I think its logical to think he was waiting for the Stanley cup winning coach to be let go after the Penguins were eliminated and not an assistant coach.

Blysma is getting paid 2 mill I think just sitting home for the next 2 years so If any of us were him I think we'd also ask a lot more money to get you off that couch.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Obviously its speculation because none of us are in Tallon's inner circle but let me ask this, do you think Tallon was waiting for an assistant coach or Blysma because obviously he was waiting for somebody and I think its logical to think he was waiting for the Stanley cup winning coach to be let go after the Penguins were eliminated and not an assistant coach.
Tallon was waiting to interview every possible candidate, which he did.

Blysma is getting paid 2 mill I think just sitting home for the next 2 years so If any of us were him I think we'd also ask a lot more money to get you off that coach.
This is just pure speculation again. No one other than Bylsma himself and the Pittsburgh ownership knows how much he's getting paid, and whether a new job would affect that or not.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
How are you so sure that Bylsma would attract free agents better than Gallant? It seems like you're freaking out over complete unknowns.

He doesn't seem to be what Tallon said he was looking for three months ago, does he? He's never won a Stanley Cup, the NHL team he coached performed horrifically, the Panthers aren't much better (so how can we expect better results) , and he's never coached the best hockey player in the world. I am freaking out cause it looks like this is DeBoer, Dineen, and Horachek all rolled into one. Gallant is great with kids? He should be an assistant coach. This was not a power move. Bylsma was a power move.

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
Ok, this Dan Bylsma stuff is getting a bit ridiculous in regard to name recognition. Yes, Dan Bylsma is a bigger name, but I don't think not hiring him will drastically impact what FAs we will be able to bring in. Money IS money, and money talks. If Tallon, Viola and Co. are honest, then bringing talented players here and willing to pay for them should not be an issue, regardless of Bylsma being here or not.

We can't jump to conclusions about choosing Gallant was strictly a money decision either. It is very feasible that Tallon and Co. believed Gallant and Bylsma were both very good candidates, and quite honestly, it may seem Gallant fits the team a bit better, on top of having a cheaper price-tag. If anything it's a wise "business" decision, which is what hockey, and running any type of organization comes down to -- "business" decisions. And if that's not enough, saving the amount of money that makes up the difference between Gallant and Bylsma can only be a positive when it comes to potentially using that cash to attract FAs, or acquiring heftier contracts in trades.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
He doesn't seem to be what Tallon said he was looking for three months ago, does he? He's never won a Stanley Cup, the NHL team he coached performed horrifically, the Panthers aren't much better, and he's never coached the best hockey player in the world. I am freaking out cause it looks like this is Detour, Dineen, and Horachek all rolled into one. Gallant is great with kids? He should be an assistant coach. This was not a power move. Bylsma was a power move.

Bylsma and the Penguins have choked in the playoffs each year since they won the cup in 2009 and that's with two of the best players in the world.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
Bylsma and the Penguins have choked in the playoffs each year since they won the cup in 2009 and that's with two of the best players in the world.

His team played incredibly well when Crosby was concussed and Malkin was out. Much better than Panthers have in years. At least they got to the playoffs. Panthers haven't gone past the first round since the mid 90's!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad