Gerard Gallant Named New Coach of Florida Panthers

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Penguins-coach-Dan-Bylsma.gif

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
“We are pleased to welcome Gerard as the new head coach of the Florida Panthers,” said Tallon. “He is an individual with tremendous character, integrity and a strong passion for the game and has experience as an NHL head coach. Gerard is an excellent teacher and motivator who possesses the leadership qualities and hockey knowledge that are necessary to lead our team.”

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Nothing to do with coaching but I watched a few of his fights and he had scraps with quite a few tough guys, I like that kind of fire.

I liked the slow process selecting the coach this time around. I think it will be really beneficial. I've heard really good things about Gallant and his experience with Huby is a plus.

-ghoste

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I'm just glad that the rumors are finished and someone was hired. It was said that Bylsma was offered the job, but turned it down as he likely wanted more money. He's already getting 2.3M this season from the Pens, so while he might have been the top choice, if he's being unreasonable, I can't blame the front office for moving on. Now, this can use the money that would have paid him on some better talent on the ice.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Gallant works with the young players. Huberdeau's probably happy as hell right now. As far as attracting free agents, I don't think hiring Gallant over Bylsma will be a large factor for free agents and I don't think we can use his experience with Columbus as a huge thought either with the crap team they had. I'd rather look at his stats being an assistant coach in Montreal and think maybe he can make an impact with us.

GernBlanston

May 20, 2011
Smyrna, GA
I just read the whole thread on the Montreal board. It's worth a read. Like thiavun said, it's kinda 50/50, but by and large they consider him a great player's coach and a great guy with good scheme/technical skills... much of the discussion over there seems to center on how much of and what he was actually responsible for. There's a lot of bashing of their PP, but they don't know for sure that that was Gallant. And seriously - could ours get any worse? This has got to be an upgrade.

RCDeltaFixer

Mar 15, 2014
Harvey was on the same plane as Bergenheim last week, and apparently Bergy was "very effusive in praising Gallant who was his assistant coach with Islanders".

So that's also great to hear. I'm finally warming up to the idea of Gallant. I think a lot of our player's games will elevate under him.

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
The question is does this help us attract big time free agents?? I can't really say that it does...

You're overrating the importance of a coach to attract free agents. If our summer signings were contingent on hiring Bylsma... I think I might quit hockey.

HockeyRulez

Panthers hockey since 1993
Nov 11, 2010
The Sunshine State
Any word on the assistant coaches or if madden/ skrudland are continuing? I like them but I hope they give gallant the freedom to bring his own guys in.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Any word on the assistant coaches or if madden/ skrudland are continuing? I like them but I hope they give gallant the freedom to bring his own guys in.
IIRC Madden was already confirmed no matter who ends up as HC, Skrudland to be his decision (or was he let go already? not sure..).

Madden probably going to end up responsible for the PK.

RCDeltaFixer

Mar 15, 2014

Tallon said that Madden will be back for sure next year. I think he said that he'd recommend Skrudland to whoever was going to be the next HC, but he's not coming back for sure.

HockeyRulez

Panthers hockey since 1993
Nov 11, 2010
The Sunshine State
You're overrating the importance of a coach to attract free agents. If our summer signings were contingent on hiring Bylsma... I think I might quit hockey.

I wouldn't say I was "overrating" it. I think it's pretty clear that both the manager and coach are pretty important in attracting free agents. It's not the only reason players sign with teams of course but it is still pretty important.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad