George Parros

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
I think we should be concerned that maybe he just can't count properly since Orr sent him into retirement by knocking him out.

That's the only thing I can think of that makes sense :dunno:

Maybe he thinks 5 comes after 1

I expect more from someone with a Princeton education.

Reactions: Samsquanch

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
George Parros' Top 10 Biggest Suspensions!

DatePlayerTeamOffenseGamesNotesPlayer Reputation
1September 30, 2018Tom WilsonWashington CapitalsIllegal check to the head of Oskar Sundqvist.20 gamesSuspension later reduced to 14 games.Wilson had previously been suspended 3 times, totalling 9 games, and was considered a Repeat Offender. Wilson was second in PIM on the season.
2November 16, 2017Radko GudasPhiladelphia FlyersSlashing Mathieu Perreault.10 gamesGudas had previously been suspended 2 times, totalling 9 games, and was considered a Repeat Offender.
3February 6, 2018Alex BurrowsOttawa SenatorsServing as the aggressor in an altercation & kneeing Taylor Hall.10 gamesSuspension covered two incidents in the same game.Burrows had previously been suspended 1 time, totalling 3 games, and fined twice.
4May 19, 2021Nazem KadriColorado AvalancheIllegal check to the head of Justin Faulk.8 games8 post-season games.Kadri had previously been suspended 5 times, totalling 19 games, and fined once.
5March 5, 2021Tom WilsonWashington CapitalsBoarding Brandon Carlo.7 gamesWilson had previously been suspended 4 times, totalling 23 games. Wilson was first in PIM on the season.
6February 13, 2020Zack KassianEdmonton OilersKicking Erik Cernak.7 gamesKassian had previously been suspended 3 times, totalling 10 games, and was considered a Repeat Offender.
7December 9, 2023David PerronDetroit Red WingsCross-checking Artem Zub.6 gamesPerron had previously been fined once.
7December 23, 2017Zac RinaldoArizona CoyotesPunching an unsuspecting Samuel Girard.6 gamesRinaldo had previously been suspended 4 times, totalling 19 games, and fined twice.
9February 8, 2022Brad MarchandBoston BruinsRoughing & high-sticking Tristan Jarry.6 gamesSuspension covered two incidents in the same game.Marchand had previously been suspended 7 times, totalling 22 games, and fined five times, and was considered a Repeat Offender.
10December 5, 2021Jason SpezzaToronto Maple LeafsKneeing Neal Pionk.6 gamesSuspension later reduced to 4 games.Spezza had no prior record of supplemental discipline. Spezza was a six time nominee for the Lady Byng Memorial Trophy.
?February 10, 2024Morgan RiellyToronto Maple LeafsCross-checking Ridly Greig.???Offered in-person hearing (6 or more games possible).Rielly has no prior record of supplemental discipline. Rielly is a two time nominee for the Lady Byng Memorial Trophy.
Off-ice and automatic suspensions were not included in the list.
Post-season games are typically considered worth more than a regular season game.
A Repeat Offender is defined as having been suspended within the 18 months prior.
While PIM and Lady Byng nominations have no effect in supplemental discipline, it paints a slight picture of the reputation of the player at the time of the incident.

Two of these names stick out like sore thumbs, imo.

The next biggest suspension that matches Rielly's reputation (or Spezza's) would be Mark Schiefele, who would rank 17th on the list (not counting Rielly) for a 4 game suspension (3 post-season games) with no prior record of supplemental discipline and three "gentlemanly" nominations.

While an in-person hearing means Rielly can be suspended 6 or more games, it does not mean he has to be. It could still be 4 or 5, or technically, even with an in-person hearing they could slap him with just a fine, or give him no(!) discipline; the in-person hearing just gives them more options. That said, following Perron's similar suspension this season (retaliatory cross-check to the head, while sitting on a fairly clean record), my prediction is 6 games for Rielly, tying him for 7th in Parros' biggest suspensions.

Last edited:

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
6 or 8 or 10….who cares.
As Leafs will appeal just like the Spezza thing and Bettman will come in and reduce.
That’s the routine.
Screw what other fans are saying bc they are just trolls and want nothing more than see us-Leafs fans pissoff.
If it's 6, they shouldn't bother appealing. I believe Perron appealed to Bettman and he upheld the suspension. Again, the 2 incidents were very similar. Just take the 6 at this point and get it over with. An opportunity for someone else to step up with an increased role.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If it's 6, they shouldn't bother appealing. I believe Perron appealed to Bettman and he upheld the suspension. Again, the 2 incidents were very similar. Just take the 6 at this point and get it over with. An opportunity for someone else to step up with an increased role.
That’s what I think too. They should still appeal to show that’s non sense….but it’s a good opportunity for Timmins and Lilly to step up.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I suspect that 6 games is right, although I think 5 would be more appropriate given the kind of player Morgan has been during his career. In any event, I doubt the Leafs will appeal a 5 or 6 game suspension. What is there to even appeal? He did it. Take the lumps and move on.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
It's looking like it will be 6 games.
It was most similar to Perron's 6 game suspension earlier this year. Cross check to the head, split second reaction to something that just happened and no real injury to the other player.

I was thinking maybe Rielly would get 3 games bc Perron was a repeat offender, but obviously that won't be much of a factor now that it's in an person hearing. If it was going to be 5 or less the in person hearing wouldn't have been offered. I just can't see it being more than 6 given what Perron got.
Perron attacked a guy who didn’t even do anything. Zub was just standing there and had nothing to do with Larkin’s injury

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

Clearly Rielly wasn’t aiming for the head. He even lets go of his stick to reduce the impact when the stick rides up.

Parros though hates the Leafs because he was knocked out by Colton Orr which he probably felt was a cheap shot and shows his agenda every chance he gets.

Gary Bettman overruled one suspension so far, and it was Spezza’s because even he knew it was so ridiculous he couldn’t let it stand.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
6 or 8 or 10….who cares.
As Leafs will appeal just like the Spezza thing and Bettman will come in and reduce.
That’s the routine.
Screw what other fans are saying bc they are just trolls and want nothing more than see us-Leafs fans pissoff.
Pretty sure player needs to sit immediately.
I can remember a player getting his suspension reduced after he had served all his games.
he was entitled to his salary for games sat.

Reactions: OddyOh

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Perron attacked a guy who didn’t even do anything. Zub was just standing there and had nothing to do with Larkin’s injury
This is true but it's still not going to help Morgan's case. DOPS and Gary aren't going to care that Greig took a slapshot on an empty net. It doesn't justify a crosscheck to the head whether we think he deserved it or not

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Since Parros has been in charge, Leafs are tied for most suspensions in the league. During that time, the Leafs have also been a relatively skilled soft team.

To look specifically at the Rielly cross check, see some examples of similar crosschecks against Leafs players that resulted in 0-1 game suspensions. But Rielly does, is the only one to target the shoulder and incidentally hit the head, and he's looking at 5+ games (despite zero history as a dirty player)?

Edit: Reddit link not working

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Parros is a political appointment and will do whatever his handlers tell him to do. I could list 400 guys better equipped to do this job and so could anyone on this board.
This infraction is bad because game was virtually over, whistle had gone, but criss checks garden than this are done in front of goal regularly and are ignored or get 2 minutes.
Maybe the head is a little worse but he was uninjured do how much head actually was involved

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
This is true but it's still not going to help Morgan's case. DOPS and Gary aren't going to care that Greig took a slapshot on an empty net. It doesn't justify a crosscheck to the head whether we think he deserved it or not
In a weird way, this one might actually help having Parros in charge. He will 100% understand why this happened. He will agree with Rielly and probably not be too fussed about the response.

Morgan should and probably will ask George what would he have done?

Now the only issue is, which of George's views win? The view that he would've done similar, or the view that he despises the Leafs?

We'll fine out in a few hours.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
In a weird way, this one might actually help having Parros in charge. He will 100% understand why this happened. He will agree with Rielly and probably not be too fussed about the response.

Now the only issue is, which of George's views win? The view that he would've done similar, or the view that he despises the Leafs?

I highly doubt that considering it was Parros' decision to offer an in-person hearing

Parros, while I disagree with much of his tenure, has been pretty candid acknowledging that his career was built on being an enforcer, yet likes the game faster and less run by goons.

If Rielly only went for a punch on Greig, we may have seen just the penalty, or a fine, or a 1 game suspension for unsportsmanlike, but because the stick rode up, I think that's the distinction Parros is trying to make (which is fair - if you ignore the other crosschecks to the head this season that went unpunished).

Were I think Rielly's argument should/will be is that the stick made contact with the shoulder first and rode up - it wasn't his intention - and that he let go of the stick to minimize the force as soon as he realized. The crosscheck was much less egregious than Perron's 6-gamer, imo.

In theory, that's the point of these hearings.
Players (and their representative team) are meant to provide and refute evidence and have a chance to plead their case. Often the case is open & shut though, and Matthews' recent quote makes it sound like DoPS' decision is made before you even get there...

It's rare, but it's possible that the DoPS offers a hearing and then rules no supplemental discipline is needed
Zadorov a couple of years ago the only example under Parros, that I remember, but I'm sure there was someone else like 10-15 years ago that was in the same boat.

I definitely don't think Rielly will get 0 or a fine, but I think there's some potential that he gets under 6 games (though definitely not holding my breath on that!)

Last edited:

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014

I'm sure he agrees that what Greig did will warrant a response as part of unwritten rules of sport. He still has a job to do as DOPS of the NHL and set precedents. Him not giving Rielly the same as what he gave Perron would look bad on him. Not that he hasn't appeared competent in his role when it came to other dirty plays, like Edmundson cross checking Simmonds in the face and then getting 0 games.

As far as what Parros would've done it that situation. He was an enforcer. I doubt he would've swung lumber to someone's head. He would've dropped the gloves and beat the piss out of him

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'm sure he agrees that what Greig did will warrant a response as part of unwritten rules of sport. He still has a job to do as DOPS of the NHL and set precedents. Him not giving Rielly the same as what he gave Perron would look bad on him. Not that he hasn't appeared competent in his role when it came to other dirty plays, like Edmundson cross checking Simmonds in the face and then getting 0 games.

As far as what Parros would've done it that situation. He was an enforcer. I doubt he would've swung lumber to someone's head. He would've dropped the gloves and beat the piss out of him

Throwing down the gloves and boxing him in on the spot would be my preferred response.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad