Proposal: Geo to EDM package

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
In what way is that reasonable for NYR? That's making a move to make a move.

Maybe I should have added more onto it then. I don't think trading for Georgiev is a good idea. I think he's more of the same type of goalie they already have. If you insist on making a trade for him, that's the price I'd pay... pretty much nothing because I'm not interested in the move.

Given the state of their team, I'd rather roll with Smith and Koskinen and find a new goalie next year than give up anything for Georgiev. Or... add some pieces together and go for an actual upgrade in net.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I'd do this just for the cap savings this year. Geo I'd rather try then stay with Koskinen. If we add Kane and start winning that extra cap space at the deadline could prove invaluable.

Reactions: TFHockey

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
God no how do the oilers give up a better pick a better prospect for basically the exact same type of goalie. Georgiev is a younger Koskinen way to keep the goaltending just as awful while giving up better pieces just to do it.

He is not the same goalie . He has played well when put in the number 1 role . He is the opposite of Koskinen . Koskinen folds like a cheap tent in a wind storm when given too much work . Geo thrives with more work .

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I'm shocked we have Oil fans saying no to this. Even if we use him only for this season, he's an RFA and if you go all in on a goaltender in the off season you can easily get a mid or later pick for his rights.

We won't be adding a legit starting goaltender this season. Koskinen needs to move. Tippett isn't getting the axe so give him another tender. See what Geo can do with an increased workload. Hell even as a lateral move make a change in the room. I don't believe the players in the locker room or the coaching staff have faith in Koskinen. Coach throws goaltender under the bus, goaltender speaks out against the scoring of the team/vocally upset with his coach.

Pull the trigger if this is on the table.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Lavoie isn’t even a good prospect. A week ago (last I checked) He was 0.41 PPG AHL player. Was almost an overager when drafted. Late sept birthday. He’s a B- level prospect and one that may never make the NHL as a regular. What’s the odd interest in this guy?

Target the Savoie kid at DU. He’s a better player.
What the heck is this "almost an overager" junk? That's perhaps the most odd criticism of a prospect I have ever seen. It doesn't mean anything at this stage.

Savoie isn't the type of prospect that gets traded in a deal like this. Lavoie could be. He's an okay prospect, a bit of a longshot but could still make it. Lavoie may never make it, but Savoie may also never make it. But Savoie has more value, and that value throws this trade out of balance. For what its worth, the Rangers young guy being tossed in here isn't much to celebrate either.

Reactions: Seachd

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Georgiev is worth a 3rd, if that. Edmonton isn't trading a top prospect for him and will ease the cap impact by having someone to a trip to Robidas island.

/Lock thread
There are no top prospects here. A couple of reclamation projects, a couple of picks, and a couple of goalies. The Rangers get the better pick, the Oilers get the better goalie, not sure about the prospect but I'm not super excited about Hajek after the scouting reports. He's possibly a bust at this point. Lavoie isn't a bust but also isn't a guarantee to make it, and he's been inconsistent in the AHL.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Swapping Georgiev and Koskinen makes a ton of sense for both teams. Obviously the Oilers would have to add something, but I'm not going to judge what that value would be.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Geo + Hajek + NYR 2022 4th [Oil have no 4th atm]
for
Lavoie + Kosk + EDM 2023 3rd

all salaries full pop which gives EDM a bit of instant cap relief [4+ - hair over 3].

Value: Lavoie recently drafted 2nd rnd = sufficient value for Geo.
upgrade of pick reflects both pick now for later pick + NY taking Kosk back

NY should get 4th or 5th for expiring Hajek, but I am more concerned about
a) creating instant roster spot
b) giving the guy a good home as NYR has way too many LD ahead of him
c) recover cap hit now

For those who foolishly insist on win now, and think Geo should be kept this season:
1. It is INDISPUTABLE that Rangers do not have cap for Strome or Geo going forward.
2 More immediately pertinent, we have discerned Geo's track record is starter quality IF IF IF he gets regular starter mins.
NY should NOT give Geo starter mins over Shesty
Shesty should get starter mins vs toughest competition and let Kinkaid/Huska handle balance.

Kosk should be waived to the A.
If someone wants to take him now, great.
If not, see if Benny Allaire can up his game as an insurance policy.

Probably not. Lavoie is not lighting up the AHL. if you replace him with... never mind nothing really interesting. I would do Hajek, Georgiev and Gauthier for Lavoie + 2 2nd rounders

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
He is not the same goalie . He has played well when put in the number 1 role . He is the opposite of Koskinen . Koskinen folds like a cheap tent in a wind storm when given too much work . Geo thrives with more work .
Georgiev folds like a tent just as much as Koskinen. Look at his numbers they are barely ahead of Koskinen and he is just as likely to put a team especially the oilers down 2 in the first just like Koskinen.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Georgiev folds like a tent just as much as Koskinen. Look at his numbers they are barely ahead of Koskinen and he is just as likely to put a team especially the oilers down 2 in the first just like Koskinen.
Koskinen is done . Geo cost less and is also a FA is it can be a test run . Give some extra cap space we might be able to add a D at the trade deadline .

Reactions: bernmeister

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Before the year I would have said no, but Koskinen has to go man. Even if he isn't the biggest problem his time here needs to end.

I'd probably do it, but I don't really care for Hajek either.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Assuming you looked at those numbers - go on and show us Georgiev numbers when having to be the starter and not a backup guy here and there.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I'm not willing to give up Savoie for a goaltender we have little faith in.
If I were the Rangers, I wouldn’t even consider trading my backup goalie. They are a playoff team. Their starter has already been injured once this season.

Koskinen is garbage and expensive. Rangers should and will keep their solid backup G unless an offer blows them away.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
If I were the Rangers, I wouldn’t even consider trading my backup goalie. They are a playoff team. Koskinen is garbage and expensive. Just keep your solid backup G unless an offer blows you away.

That's cool, but Georgeiv isn't worth dealing a good to great prospect for. I'd call Savoie a B+ to an A- level prospect.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
That's cool, but Georgeiv isn't worth dealing a good to great prospect for. I'd call Savoie a B+ to an A- level prospect.
That’s the only way I’m even considering it if I’m Drury. Otherwise, you just maintain the status quo.

oilers can shop for a G elsewhere. I don’t see any inexpensive paths for Edmonton to get MAF or Giorgiev. Doubt Gibson is even available.

if they are bargain shopping, there are other options for the Oil. Just won’t be any of these guys. Maybe Varlomov but Lou usually doesn’t get railroaded in a trade.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
That’s the only way I’m even considering it if I’m Drury. Otherwise, you just maintain the status quo.

oilers can shop for a G elsewhere. I don’t see any inexpensive paths for Edmonton to get MAF or Giorgiev. Doubt Gibson is even available.

if they are bargain shopping, there are other options for the Oil. Just won’t be any of these guys. Maybe Varlomov but Lou usually doesn’t get railroaded in a trade.

I see MAF as a much better, and thus more desirable target than Georgeiv.

I am not sure where I rate Varlamov. I mean, still better than Koskinen but that isn't a rave review.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Probably not. Lavoie is not lighting up the AHL. if you replace him with... never mind nothing really interesting. I would do Hajek, Georgiev and Gauthier for Lavoie + 2 2nd rounders

That's brutal. We don't want Hajek or Gauthier. You're basically asking for 3 2nd's and we lose cap space for spare parts. Geo could be a decent get. Is he even worth a single 2nd without cap going back? Doubtful.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
He knew who you meant.

Georgiev for Koskinen @ 50% + 5th is a more reasonable trade than something like this. I would have said 4th, but EDM doesn't have a 4th. Edmonton needs a legitimate upgrade in net if they're going to make a trade. Georgiev is literally on the same level as Smith.
No, that is gross underpayment.
Not surprised you want something for nothing and expect us to take Kosk for free.

Hajek is a nothingburger and I sincerely don't see much of an upgrade in Georgiev.

I'd probably still do it because I'm not sure about Lavoie's upside and it clears some cap for us, but I sure wouldn't consider our goaltending fixed in any way.
Hajek is thrown in here freebie b'c
1. NY needs roster space and wants it to come from him to address LD logjam
2. We are taking full cap on Kosk no retention.

Hajek was all star for 4 games after acquired + shot here, but injured his shoulder and somehow, that kind of injury, you think they can overcome. But he was never the same and Ranger mgmt effed it up.
He has sufficient size and ability.
He tries to do too much imo
What system he is in and who is partner is may be a factor.

Geo may be a stopgap, but he IS an upgrade over Kosk

This one makes a lot of sense. I don't know much about Hajek, but positionally I don't think he's what we need, unless he can play right side. If we could swap in a similar forward (centre preferably) then I would be happier, but I would agree to this one regardless. If nothing else, it's a prospect and pick swap to unload Koskinen and give Georgiev a try out. It may not be the long term answer, but it doesn't hamstring us, and is a legitimate short term solution.

Although he is a lefty shot and usually plays LD my impression is he's not lost out there on the other side.
As for a centre, no on a swap, like I said we need the roster spot.
And we are not interested in moving better pieces.
Howev, if you want depth guys Brodzinski - a W with a bit of scoring history or McKegg, I'd move those guys for lower picks and give mins to guys like Gettinger and Rooney deserves more mins. Also want mins for Barron and Kravtsov. Interested?

Rangers say no. Geo has played well recently and the Rangers arent going to downgrade in net and potentially open up a hole for a meh prospect and to upgrade a few spots in the mid rounds of the draft. Dont really see how it benefits the Rangers at all to be honest.
I hear you but you are overlooking an important point I made earlier.
Geo needs starter mins level of regular work to stay sharp.
He is not Gilles Villemure backing up Eddie Giacomin and the guy could be lost for 2-3 wks then come in 2-3 games relief and pitch a shutout.

I ask again.... Do you deprive Shesty of starter work to keep Geo sharp?
Obv NO.
Kinkaid/Huska etc can handle second/third tier teams IF the skaters play. Huska got his cherry popped vs Colorado, and that first goal being muffed was all on him. But the rest of it, they gave him zero support.

BINGO EXACTLY

No we are not trading Gauthier

If I were the Rangers, I wouldn’t even consider trading my backup goalie. They are a playoff team. Their starter has already been injured once this season.

Koskinen is garbage and expensive. Rangers should and will keep their solid backup G unless an offer blows them away.
pls see my note above.
Geo requires starter mins
A replacement does not and not concerned if replacement is chiefly playing vs 2nd tier clubs

I see MAF as a much better, and thus more desirable target than Georgeiv.

I am not sure where I rate Varlamov. I mean, still better than Koskinen but that isn't a rave review.
MAF definitely IS better but:
1. Will cost HUGE amount more, Chicago should not do anybody any favors and will extract something that hurts.
2. MAF's game has been predicated upon elite reflexes, and his ability to control them to not be a fraction ahead or behind in reaction time to make saves. He is ok right now, but if that goes anytime soon and he cannot readjust, you will see a problem.
To his credit he has fully recovered but I remember something like a dozen yrs ago vs Philly he looked horrid.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
He is not Gilles Villemure backing up Eddie Giacomin and the guy could be lost for 2-3 wks then come in 2-3 games relief and pitch a shutout.

Obv NO.
Kinkaid/Huska etc can handle second/third tier teams IF the skaters play. Huska got his cherry popped vs Colorado, and that first goal being muffed was all on him. But the rest of it, they gave him zero support.

I agree Geo needs starter work but I dont see why Drury would just ship him off for basically nothing. Rangers want to win and they are going to play whoever is performing better. If Shesty goes down Geo is the better option over Kincaid and an unproven and not ready Huska. Geo could also then be traded at the draft for more then what this package is to a team who has cap space. I just dont see why they would trade him for this type of return.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
I agree Geo needs starter work but I dont see why Drury would just ship him off for basically nothing. Rangers want to win and they are going to play whoever is performing better. If Shesty goes down Geo is the better option over Kincaid and an unproven and not ready Huska. Geo could also then be traded at the draft for more then what this package is to a team who has cap space. I just dont see why they would trade him for this type of return.

I think that Lavoie is a fair price. he is a 6'3 center with speed and hands who just needs some development time. That is the typical 2nd round pick player that is 3 years into his career. There is a few goalies that we can get in the same rough price range like MAF, Korposalo, Holtby, Quick, Varlamov or Driedger. Some of those guys will be a little more cost to acquire but have some term which is worth paying for. Geo does not have as good a resume as any of those guys, so the oilers are not going to pay more for a bigger question mark if they do make a run.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
How about Georgiev + Kravstov instead of Hajek?

Obviously package would have to change from Oilers.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Just don't see the reason for Rangers to take a risk when everything is going so well this season.

If they are making a trade with one of their assets, it's to fill a gap to try and make a run.
Not downgrade and help another team.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
No, that is gross underpayment.
Not surprised you want something for nothing and expect us to take Kosk for free.

Hajek is thrown in here freebie b'c
1. NY needs roster space and wants it to come from him to address LD logjam
2. We are taking full cap on Kosk no retention.

Hajek was all star for 4 games after acquired + shot here, but injured his shoulder and somehow, that kind of injury, you think they can overcome. But he was never the same and Ranger mgmt effed it up.
He has sufficient size and ability.
He tries to do too much imo
What system he is in and who is partner is may be a factor.

Geo may be a stopgap, but he IS an upgrade over Kosk

Although he is a lefty shot and usually plays LD my impression is he's not lost out there on the other side.
As for a centre, no on a swap, like I said we need the roster spot.
And we are not interested in moving better pieces.
Howev, if you want depth guys Brodzinski - a W with a bit of scoring history or McKegg, I'd move those guys for lower picks and give mins to guys like Gettinger and Rooney deserves more mins. Also want mins for Barron and Kravtsov. Interested?

Obv NO.

BINGO EXACTLY

No we are not trading Gauthier

pls see my note above.
Geo requires starter mins
A replacement does not and not concerned if replacement is chiefly playing vs 2nd tier clubs

MAF definitely IS better but:
1. Will cost HUGE amount more, Chicago should not do anybody any favors and will extract something that hurts.
2. MAF's game has been predicated upon elite reflexes, and his ability to control them to not be a fraction ahead or behind in reaction time to make saves. He is ok right now, but if that goes anytime soon and he cannot readjust, you will see a problem.
To his credit he has fully recovered but I remember something like a dozen yrs ago vs Philly he looked horrid.

No. *I* don’t want anything. Georgiev is about as dime a dozen as goalies come.

I don’t know why Edmonton would have any interest in acquiring him. .905-.910 is not that good. If I’m Edmonton, I actually pay something to acquire an upgrade, not go bargain hunting for someone who, at best, might match the goalie I have already if he stayed healthy.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
Didn’t they already try one of our backups and it didn’t work for them...why would they want to repeat that cycle?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad