OT: General Video Game Discussion IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Do it, I'll watch. Not live, but as long as you make them available, when I have time.

I'd put them as youtube videos (maybe edited, maybe raw) sometime after the stream was over. I don't really like the twitch platform for recoded videos.

The wife is the guinea pig (for once) currently for this. I built her a nice rig this spring so she does her stuff on that. I could use it, but I can't stand anything about her desk setup. She'll stream her Disney game a few times a week. The problem is she forgets to record it, so it's all lost when she ends the stream.

Reactions: BagHead

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I don't know if anyone does stream, but I just saw this with steam/paypal exploit going on. So you might want to disable your donation button if you do.

The spiffing brit was a youtube video on it released today. It's around the 8:50 mark of the video that explains it. I'm not linking the video here, because reasons.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I fell down the Elden Ring hole.

I’m running a pokey INT build with a cold infused Banished Knight’s Halberd (has great poise break) with Loretta’s Slash AoW.

Also playing around with Death Ritual Spear and Bolt of Gransax, but they struggle with larger enemies up close compared to my halberd.

Progression-wise, I just got to Mountaintops of the Giants.

I’m considering respecing because I use melee ~75% of the time and magic ~25% of the time, so I feel like I’m not getting the most out of my stats with INT being my highest attack skill (60). But I haven’t really found another spear/halberd I love to pull me away from my BK Halberd build yet. I also enjoy the flexibility of switching to magic when an enemy/boss gets too tough.

Recommendations are welcome.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Picked up Octopath Traveller II last weekend. Haven't had a chance to jump into it yet but has good reviews. Anyone already play it?

Still need to get back to BG3 - only finished ACT 1. Just not enough time to do all my hobbies!

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Beat Gaius today. Man at first i thought that boss was complete bs, with a bs moveset, and it still kinda is, but once you get it down man is it a beautiful dance.

Messmer next after giving up on him and moving to Gaius. Im not looking forward to it lol

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I fell down the Elden Ring hole.

I’m running a pokey INT build with a cold infused Knight’s Halberd (has great poise break) with Loretta’s Slash AoW.

Also playing around with Death Ritual Spear and Bolt of Gransax, but they struggle with larger enemies up close compared to my halberd.

Progression-wise, I just got to Mountaintops of the Giants.

I’m considering respecing because I use melee ~75% of the time and magic ~25% of the time, so I feel like I’m not getting the most out of my stats with INT being my highest attack skill (60). But I haven’t really found another spear/halberd I love to pull me away from my BK Halberd build yet. I also enjoy the flexibility of switching to magic when an enemy/boss gets too tough.

Recommendations are welcome.
STR/FTH is SUPERRRRRR fun and always my go to. Incantations are really fun, but you're still clobbering things too.

Picked up Octopath Traveller II last weekend. Haven't had a chance to jump into it yet but has good reviews. Anyone already play it?

Still need to get back to BG3 - only finished ACT 1. Just not enough time to do all my hobbies!
It never really commanded my interest for long. Very cool art/design style and the turn based combat is great... but those segmented stories. I don't know, just never hooked me

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
It never really commanded my interest for long. Very cool art/design style and the turn based combat is great... but those segmented stories. I don't know, just never hooked me
I've only given it a few hours so far and I have to admit, it seems super story heavy. Combat is pretty cool but hasn't been enough to grab me either.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN

I got my money's worth out of it, though did not fully finish it, only about half of the stories. Combat was good but eventually got tedious for me.

I also need to eventually get into BG3, never made it out of act 1 either when it came out. I’m not much of a DND guy, but I did like Pathfinder, just have to be in the right mindset.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
I got my money's worth out of it, though did not fully finish it, only about half of the stories. Combat was good but eventually got tedious for me.

I also need to eventually get into BG3, never made it out of act 1 either when it came out. I’m not much of a DND guy, but I did like Pathfinder, just have to be in the right mindset.
I am pretty similar with BG3 - I am not a DnD guy. Never played pen and paper or video games but I enjoyed BG3 for the most part...but have to be ready to focus for at least 2 hours if I am going to be able to play it the way I want.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014

Similar exp. Got like 2/3 of the way with each character and its just too much and didn't end up going further. And too many characters to juggle. Woulda much rather had half the characters and longer stories for each of them.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Similar exp. Got like 2/3 of the way with each character and its just too much and didn't end up going further. And too many characters to juggle. Woulda much rather had half the characters and longer stories for each of them.
The good news is that, if you roleplay your character and make the decisions they would, you could end up killing half your party yourself by the end of Act 1.
I wonder what Astarion's story is like...

The bad news is that Act 3 is a bit of a mess in terms of pacing, even solo, so I'm not surprised you haven't beaten the game. I think a lot of people get bogged down in Act 3. I think they had too many story threads open and should have cut some content to maintain focus in that act.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I finished Persona 3 and actually went for the 100% complete (rare for me). It took a NG+ playthrough to do it though.

At it's core it's a Persona game: decent/good story/side story lines, repetitive combat, lots of talking. I got my money's worth ($30-40), but I wouldn't have been happy at the $60-$70 retail price. Some of the dungeon areas got old quick and just made my eyes tired was my biggest drawback. I'm not sure if I'll get the DLC when it comes out, maybe sometime in the future when it's sale priced. P5 was a better game to me, but it's also much newer.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Caelid is breaking me... again. Dang
Care to elaborate..?
I tried out an indie game named The Infected. Still in development. Survival. Build a base, get attacked by Vambies. Single developer. Highly addictive. Love these low budget games with no expectations. The hours just fly by, I love it.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Playing FF7 Crisis Core (ps+ sub) now. I've had my eye on it at the stores for awhile, just couldn't bring myself to buy it. The gameplay is rather meh, but the story has some pretty cool FF7 lore.

It does makes parts of the ff7 part 2 remake make more sense.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Care to elaborate..?
I tried out an indie game named The Infected. Still in development. Survival. Build a base, get attacked by Vambies. Single developer. Highly addictive. Love these low budget games with no expectations. The hours just fly by, I love it.
Area in Elden Ring I didn't like in my first playthru and still don't like now lol

Reactions: Sweetnut

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Care to elaborate..?

This is a 1st person, zombie survival game; correct? Can it be changed to a 3rd person view, or is everything 1st person?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
You're the kind of guy who wants to watch your player character suffer, aren't you?

Not really. I just don't like 1st person games very often. This goes back the the Doom and Golden Eye (I couldn't stand the N64 controller so that probably didn't help) days of games. Cyberpunk (when it was mostly fixed) was the last 1st person game I spent any time playing.

Too many years of being MT for MMO raids really makes me notice the lack of spatial awareness when in 1st person.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Not really. I just don't like 1st person games very often. This goes back the the Doom and Golden Eye (I couldn't stand the N64 controller so that probably didn't help) days of games. Cyberpunk (when it was mostly fixed) was the last 1st person game I spent any time playing.

Too many years of being MT for MMO raids really makes me notice the lack of spatial awareness when in 1st person.
I was just kidding, but that's an interesting perspective (no pun intended) you have anyway. Cyberpunk was my last one as well, though I used to play a lot of Counterstrike. GoldenEye before that, which I loved, but I also hated the controller so I'd spend my time doing weird stuff that required no skill and a bit of whimsy, like holing up in a room, spinning in place, and spamming proximity mines. To quote Nathan Bedford Forrest, no damned man kills me and lives.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
college football has lived up to the hype
My son likes it but said stay away from Ultimate Team. Not much to do and very pay to play. Hopefully when the season starts there will be packs and rewards. I enjoy the team build and collecting in Ultimate Team or MLB the Show but I refuse to pay $$$ for packs and currency.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
This is a 1st person, zombie survival game; correct? Can it be changed to a 3rd person view, or is everything 1st person?
Yes.
You can't change the view, but you can change most settings. You can even turn off the enemies or change the timing between attacks, or if you just want them to guard the towns you have to visit.
You must visit the POI's to get technology to advance your building skills.
There are predators such as bears, wolves, foxes, scorpions. One particular area has crocks.
You can get attacked by boars and goats too, lol

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Yes.
You can't change the view, but you can change most settings. You can even turn off the enemies or change the timing between attacks, or if you just want them to guard the towns you have to visit.
You must visit the POI's to get technology to advance your building skills.
There are predators such as bears, wolves, foxes, scorpions. One particular area has crocks.
You can get attacked by boars and goats too, lol

So it's like going on a hike though the Everglades?

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
So it's like going on a hike though the Everglades?
Sorta, haha. I like to turn the enemies off and just focus on the building, it's more relaxing that way. You must still hunt for food, of course. And stay away from the sun exposure. The worst thing in that setting is when you're out chopping trees and a bear sneaks up on you.
You can rescue a helper named Mike and bring him to your homestead, but first you should build a house for him and a town hall. He will help you cut trees and harvest your crops. He can harvest and water them, and cut rocks for you to lessen the grind.
But the grind is a big part of what I like with this game, not the action part where the enemies attacking your homestead and tearing everything you just spent 16 hours to build apart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad