Prospect Info: General Prospect Discussion Thread 2020-21

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Don't know whether I'm excited or nervous to see how Rossi and Khusnutdinov will perform against bigger, better competition here. Obviously Marat has acquitted himself well against men in primarily a PK role with SKA, and Rossi didn't look out of place in his 1 game in Switzerland, but it was an area of concern for both going into the draft. Both have struggled to produce vs. quality competition in the past, and that's the main thing I'll be watching for this year.

Be cool if Boldy continues looking like an absolute stud, too.
Rossi - he's the only player on Austria's roster that is drafted. I expect them to get their shit kicked in so I don't expect much in terms of box score stats. This will have to be a "watch the games" evaluation. Austria just isn't that talented so evaluating Rossi's performance should be a "tread carefully" situation.

Khustnutdinov I expect big things. He'll be centering Amirov and Podkolzin. Those guys aren't small and Podkolzin especially is a brute. Marat has game breaking speed so that will get him out of plenty of tough situations on its own. Ultimately this is his opportunity to showcase his offensive prowess that will determine if SKA keeps him in a shutdown role or if they give him opportunities to spread his wings a bit. This tourney is big for his growth.

Firstov - Russia will probably lean on their top 2 lines heavily in late game situations if they're down - which I don't expect happening. Russia has the best goaltending in this tournament followed by Sweden and USA. Firstov should have plenty of opportunity to show himself this tournament.

Novak - They beat Russia and took the US to OT last go around, not sure if they'll do that this year. Their defense is bad and while they do have a promising starter in Bednar - no idea how this team has a good showing other than being able to turn games into up and down track meets. Have no idea what lineups would be but he's one of the few drafted players on this roster and so he'll probably slot in as the 2nd line RW behind Teply.

Boldy - He should shine. Unless he gets stuck dragging that smurf Caufield up and down the ice. This roster is better on-ice than they appear on paper - but we'll get a better judge of things during the pre-comp games starting the 20th. They kick off the group stage against Russia on Dec. 25th. That should be a VERY good game.

We should all be rooting for Finland. Canada is 50-0-1 vs. Switzerland, Slovakia, and Germany. Group B is a slaughterhouse.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Not too concerned about how Rossi looks on a team that’s going to be pretty well outmatched.
Ya, Vanek was able to propel austria to the top tier for his final season of WJC eligability and only managed 4 points in 6 games. Something along those lines would be fine for Rossi

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Not ready to call him a "bust" yet, but it worries me that Khovanov can't stick in the KHL for whatever reason. Isn't the VHL somewhat equivalent to the ECHL in terms of skill level?

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Not ready to call him a "bust" yet, but it worries me that Khovanov can't stick in the KHL for whatever reason. Isn't the VHL somewhat equivalent to the ECHL in terms of skill level?
probably, I decided not to worry about him till he is in the AHL. If he is a PPG in the V that is fine by me for the time being. Hope he can find a way to the KHL if he gets a better coaching situation. if the allege rumors are correct.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I wouldn’t call him a bust. He’s probably a top 9 guy on half the teams in the KHL, it just so happens the team he’s on is one of the best and the coach seems to have no time for Khovanov’s attitude. You can’t tell me Ivan Lodnia is suddenly a better player than Khovanov. Khovy’s got some maturing he needs to do but there’s a lot of skill there. Maybe he makes it maybe he doesn’t. Certainly wouldn’t put him in bust territory as a 3rd rounder.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn’t call him a bust. He’s probably a top 9 guy on half the teams in the KHL, it just so happens the team he’s on is one of the best and the coach seems to have no time for Khovanov’s attitude. You can’t tell me Ivan Lodnia is suddenly a better player than Khovanov. Khovy’s got some maturing he needs to do but there’s a lot of skill there. Maybe he makes it maybe he doesn’t. Certainly wouldn’t put him in bust territory as a 3rd rounder.
Anything outside of the top 40 is gravy. Calling Khovanov a bust (remains to be seen if he makes the NHL) is like getting upset that you didn’t win a scratch off.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Anything outside of the top 40 is gravy. Calling Khovanov a bust (remains to be seen if he makes the NHL) is like getting upset that you didn’t win a scratch off.

I pretty much agree with this....but fair or not, the expectations for Khovanov have increased considerably since his draft season and with that also comes increased scrutiny.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Khovy too me screams it comes together when hes in his early 20s like 23 or 24 when hes a more mature human, has filled out and has gone through his reps of what he can and cannot get away with in the better leagues.

Imo hes just a late bloomer in development naturally, doesn't mean hes not talented enough to make it.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
He does truly have the skill and his skating is not too bad. He has the mind too it would SEEM. Does he have the commitment though?

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's
Am visiting the forum. I know you guys have Kaprizov, Rossi, and Boldy in particular. Who are some other good prospects for y'all? I saw some Russians that I can't spell while browsing.

Finally looks like you guys are gonna have a bright future ahead of you to get you over the hunch of mediocrity. Minnesota is a great hockey city so I'd like to see them get some success. I would be more thrilled with them than the Hawks or Blues.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Am visiting the forum. I know you guys have Kaprizov, Rossi, and Boldy in particular. Who are some other good prospects for y'all? I saw some Russians that I can't spell while browsing.

Finally looks like you guys are gonna have a bright future ahead of you to get you over the hunch of mediocrity. Minnesota is a great hockey city so I'd like to see them get some success. I would be more thrilled with them than the Hawks or Blues.

Addison, menell, beckman, orourke, hunt. we have a pretty solid prospect pool weve been starting to fill. need a few more centers but hopefully marat pans out into a good 2c

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Yup.

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

GordieGallant

Oct 6, 2020
East Metro, soon to be Up North.
Couple thoughts on Carson Soucy. Classic late bloomer and the Wild should hang on to this guy. I don't give a rat's ass where and when he was drafted, this guy can play and will get better with experience. Would really be a shame if he had to play for something called the Kracken.

Pretty jacked to see Team USA play at 8;30, and to finally see Rossi in the first game. Unlike a lot of you guys I have never seen him play.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue Ox

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
Couple thoughts on Carson Soucy. Classic late bloomer and the Wild should hang on to this guy. I don't give a rat's ass where and when he was drafted, this guy can play and will get better with experience. Would really be a shame if he had to play for something called the Kracken.

Pretty jacked to see Team USA play at 8;30, and to finally see Rossi in the first game. Unlike a lot of you guys I have never seen him play.
I like Carson a lot but a shame is Shea Theodore playing for the VGK. I think Carson’s ceiling is a #4D, again I like Carson but him playing for Seattle will not keep me up at night

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
@AKL Somebody asked Rossi what number he’ll wear at the world juniors (on Instagram, he was asking for questions) and he said he’ll always wear 23 if the number’s available. So, that’s probably what we’ll see.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
@AKL Somebody asked Rossi what number he’ll wear at the world juniors (on Instagram, he was asking for questions) and he said he’ll always wear 23 if the number’s available. So, that’s probably what we’ll see.

Rossi will be the greatest Wild player to wear #23 since Jason Marshall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad