OT: General OT Thread #44 - The World is Still Turning

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Missed the last two games while attempting to hunt some pheasants around Marshall. Definitely feel humbled (public is HARD) and at the same appreciative of the land my dad and I have hunted on his farmer friends land in SD for many years.

@Roman Maroni flushing out some birds with your harvest? If so... mind giving a general county-ish location to look for some public land? Lyon county was a bust.

Roman Maroni

Prepared to be underwhelmed
Sponsor
Dec 7, 2019
Up where I am at (Near Aberdeen, Brown County) we don’t have many. There are some 40 or 50 miles to the North, West, and South. But seems like the Winner, Gregory, Platte areas always have tons. Basically south central part of the state on east side of Missouri River. Where I am at, we don’t have as much habitat for them. We don’t have as many sloughs/grassland for them. Our farm ground is pretty good stuff, not much marginal ground. Hence having to go 40 or 50 miles in 3 directions.
Towns up north, Ipswich, Redfield, Conde even Frederick to the north have birds. Not sure about the public access though.
Corn is just starting to get harvested. Some areas more than others. We just started on ours Sunday afternoon. The more corn that comes off, the easier it will be to find them. They will stick to the corn until it comes off.
Hope this helps….
Up north, Edmunds County (Ipswich/ Roscoe/Hosmer)
Spink County (Redfield/Mellette/Northville/Conde/ Turton)
None of these towns would have lodging unless somebody is renting a farmhouse type deal.
But Aberdeen is within (approximately 25000 people) about 40 minute or less drive. But rooms are probably overbooked and expensive. Best bet is a camper…..

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Missed the last two games while attempting to hunt some pheasants around Marshall. Definitely feel humbled (public is HARD) and at the same appreciative of the land my dad and I have hunted on his farmer friends land in SD for many years.

@Roman Maroni flushing out some birds with your harvest? If so... mind giving a general county-ish location to look for some public land? Lyon county was a bust.

Does the DNR release farm raised pheasants around you? One of the main local pheasant farms near me was hit by a tornado this spring. Now it's got me wondering how the local hunting is this year.

I see some on our land from time to time when I'm out letting the dogs run. I watch more for turkey and deer which the sighthound will chase down. I'm just glad the neighbors peacocks don't wander very far from home; that's not a conversation I want to have.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Up where I am at (Near Aberdeen, Brown County) we don’t have many. There are some 40 or 50 miles to the North, West, and South. But seems like the Winner, Gregory, Platte areas always have tons. Basically south central part of the state on east side of Missouri River. Where I am at, we don’t have as much habitat for them. We don’t have as many sloughs/grassland for them. Our farm ground is pretty good stuff, not much marginal ground. Hence having to go 40 or 50 miles in 3 directions.
Towns up north, Ipswich, Redfield, Conde even Frederick to the north have birds. Not sure about the public access though.
Corn is just starting to get harvested. Some areas more than others. We just started on ours Sunday afternoon. The more corn that comes off, the easier it will be to find them. They will stick to the corn until it comes off.
Hope this helps….

Corn got picked really early this year in S.WI. My dad's was done around the Oct. 1st. It's usually closer to Halloween and sometimes it's still up at Thanksgiving (makes crappy deer hunting those years).

Roman Maroni

Sponsor
Dec 7, 2019
Does the DNR release farm raised pheasants around you? One of the main local pheasant farms near me was hit by a tornado this spring. Now it's got me wondering how the local hunting is this year.

I see some on our land from time to time when I'm out letting the dogs run. I watch more for turkey and deer which the sighthound will chase down. I'm just glad the neighbors peacocks don't wander very far from home; that's not a conversation I want to have.
Most released pheasants are from the Private Lodge type hunts. It works good…..too dumb to fly so the coyotes get em and the Wild ones get away…..:)

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Most released pheasants are from the Private Lodge type hunts. It works good…..too dumb to fly so the coyotes get em and the Wild ones get away…..:)

That's different than here. It's 70k-80k a year released in WI yearly by the DNR (about 1k per property on average) on state land. They even have a nice map of the areas where they are released.

Roman Maroni

Sponsor
Dec 7, 2019
That's different than here. It's 70k-80k a year released in WI yearly by the DNR (about 1k per property on average) on state land. They even have a nice map of the areas where they are released.
Maybe SD releases some, not sure.
Search the GF&P website for lists of public hunting. Also search for CReP while there.
CReP stands for Conservation Reserve easement Program.
Landowners will enroll some land in the Conservation Reserve Program. If the Government accepts it, some landowners will elect the CReP program which makes it public hunting, but remains privately owned. Applies to pheasant and waterfowl, would assume deer too.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Hope this helps….
Up north, Edmunds County (Ipswich/ Roscoe/Hosmer)
Spink County (Redfield/Mellette/Northville/Conde/ Turton)
None of these towns would have lodging unless somebody is renting a farmhouse type deal.
But Aberdeen is within (approximately 25000 people) about 40 minute or less drive. But rooms are probably overbooked and expensive. Best bet is a camper…..
You continue to be an absolute legend. For some reason I thought you were farming in SW MN. My main hunt every year is outside of Faulkton (where dad is from) on private land. It is usually pretty good, but was trying to get some friends on some good Mn public land. Hope you got everything in my man!

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Maybe SD releases some, not sure.
Search the GF&P website for lists of public hunting. Also search for CReP while there.
CReP stands for Conservation Reserve easement Program.
Landowners will enroll some land in the Conservation Reserve Program. If the Government accepts it, some landowners will elect the CReP program which makes it public hunting, but remains privately owned. Applies to pheasant and waterfowl, would assume deer too.

That's similar here. There is also the CR option where the land is still completely private. It pays less but it keeps people off the land and the owner can still hunt/fish on it. You just can't use it for crops. Maybe send some goats to clean it up once every few years and we've had beehives.

Roman Maroni

Sponsor
Dec 7, 2019
You continue to be an absolute legend. For some reason I thought you were farming in SW MN. My main hunt every year is outside of Faulkton on private land. It is usually pretty good, but was trying to get some friends on some good Mn public land. Hope you got everything in my man!
Hit me up when you are in Faulkton. I’m about 45 minutes from there. I’d buzz over and have a beverage at Dot Ts with ya. Our schools are in same conference, not a stranger to that town.

What’s the last name of landowner, I may know them….. :)

That's similar here. There is also the CR option where the land is still completely private. It pays less but it keeps people off the land and the owner can still hunt/fish on it. You just can't use it for crops. Maybe send some goats to clean it up once every few years and we've had beehives.
Yup, you know the deal then……

Reactions: Wabit

Roman Maroni

Sponsor
Dec 7, 2019
You continue to be an absolute legend. For some reason I thought you were farming in SW MN. My main hunt every year is outside of Faulkton (where dad is from) on private land. It is usually pretty good, but was trying to get some friends on some good Mn public land. Hope you got everything in my man!
If you are at Faulkton, you might be hunting Cresbard too. If ya get the chance just east of Cresbard is a small town name of Chelsea. Literally 10 people in it. Small hole in the wall bar that has prime rib either Friday or Saturday nights (can’t remember). As good as you’ll ever eat. Whole bar doesn’t seat 20, and their Prime is well known. Call before ya go to make sure of the day, and get there about 5:30. No reservations……

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Hit me up when you are in Faulkton. I’m about 45 minutes from there. I’d buzz over and have a beverage at Dot Ts with ya. Our schools are in same conference, not a stranger to that town.

What’s the last name of landowner, I may know them….. :)

Yup, you know the deal then……
Yeah, well be in Cresbard too, lol. Small world dude.

Soldier13Fox

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
If you are at Faulkton, you might be hunting Cresbard too. If ya get the chance just east of Cresbard is a small town name of Chelsea. Literally 10 people in it. Small hole in the wall bar that has prime rib either Friday or Saturday nights (can’t remember). As good as you’ll ever eat. Whole bar doesn’t seat 20, and their Prime is well known. Call before ya go to make sure of the day, and get there about 5:30. No reservations……
NM, you gave the name of the city.

Dude... I'm a complete cidiot, but if I had a choice I would love to have beem raised in small town SD. my best memories as a kid are anchored there. Love it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad