Celebrity Death: Gene Wilder

Ben Grimm

It's clobberin time
Dec 10, 2007
Lower E. Side
distrokid.com
...It's only going to get worse, I bet. People we grew up watching and listening to, are going to start leaving us more and more frequently as we age.
Bowie, Prince, etc. I don't know if that's possible for me. My favorite friend (excluding my wife and son of course) is 70 years old.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He was great in Willy Wonka, not sure what my favorite movie of his would be as Young Frankenstein is such a classic as is Blazing Saddles (what a year for him to put out two all time greats). Stir Crazy, See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Haunted Honeymoon. Loved watching all of them. Heck of a career as an actor and writer.:clap::tvhappy::bow::thumbu:

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Man, I've been watching a lot of his interviews over the past week. Very thoughtful and well spoken man. I couldn't believe when I saw he died today.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I knew it was coming because he was only living on fumes since Gilda's passing, but still, you never want your legends to die.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
He was great in Willy Wonka, not sure what my favorite movie of his would be as Young Frankenstein is such a classic as is Blazing Saddles (what a year for him to put out two all time greats). Stir Crazy, See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Haunted Honeymoon. Loved watching all of them. Heck of a career as an actor and writer.:clap::tvhappy::bow::thumbu:

I honestly can't think of a bad one. Amazing career.

Since you mentioned it though, I don't think I had any harder belly laughs with Pryor and Wilder than in "See no Evil, Hear no Evil" Totally underrated!

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
giphy.gif

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I honestly can't think of a bad one. Amazing career.

Since you mentioned it though, I don't think I had any harder belly laughs with Pryor and Wilder than in "See no Evil, Hear no Evil" Totally underrated!

What about "Another You"? The one where he plays a pathological liar on the path to redemption, only to be ruined by Pryor's character, and get involved in a scheme to pretend he's a rich guy only to be plotted against for murder? :laugh:

I personally love that one, even have it on original DVD, but I've NEVER heard of anyone who liked it. It had a charm, and the 2 guys are at their usual greatness despite the plot going way off the rails.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Blazing Saddles and Wonka a couple of my favorites (and everyone's for that matter). Great actor.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm having a hard time thinking of a scene in any show or movie that has made me laugh as hard as The Producers, when he finds the perfect script and reveals it's called "Springtime for Hitler."

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I see in the guide that Mel Brooks will be on The Tonight Show tonight. I imagine that that was a re-schedule in the last 24 hours, rather than a coincidence. There will probably be some interesting stories told.

EDIT: That was really disappointing. They didn't even mention Gene Wilder until at least 5 minutes into the interview, even though Fallon was showing off Brooks' book, which has Wilder's face on the cover (as part of the Young Frankenstein movie poster). I seriously questioned whether I was watching a re-run from before he passed. That wouldn't have happened with Leno. He would've led off the interview with it, rather than ignoring the elephant in the room and making people wait. In fact, Leno probably would've either interrupted his opening monologue to say something or given a tribute before bringing out Brooks. That was one of his biggest strengths: communicating his heartfelt feelings and knowing when his viewers wanted to feel, too, not just laugh. Fallon just comes off as awkward and uncomfortable with how to handle a situation without trying to be funny. It made him look, here, like he didn't seem to really care about Wilder at all. He just came across as more interested in promoting Brooks' book (the real reason that Brooks was there) than honoring the legend that passed just 24 hours earlier.

Last edited:

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
What about "Another You"? The one where he plays a pathological liar on the path to redemption, only to be ruined by Pryor's character, and get involved in a scheme to pretend he's a rich guy only to be plotted against for murder? :laugh:

I personally love that one, even have it on original DVD, but I've NEVER heard of anyone who liked it. It had a charm, and the 2 guys are at their usual greatness despite the plot going way off the rails.

Great one too! I can totally picture Gene in the stovepipe Abraham Lincoln hat playing "Abe". Just gold!

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I'm sure many of you have heard that AMC Theaters will be playing Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory and Blazing Saddles this weekend. I hope to go, but it depends on whether or not we can get a babysitter.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Apparently I've been under a rock. Did the news not cover this? Either way, just another reason to dislike this year. :(

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Where's that rock? Sounds like a good place to go to get away from it all.

Dude--you have been under a very big rock--it made news around the world

Judging by the date, that rock would be World of Warcraft: Legion. :laugh: But seriously, I don't remember a year with this many celebrities I liked going.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad