Celebrity Death: Gene Wilder

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009

Very sad news. The above is one of my favorite pieces of his work. Underplayed, subtle and I love the way that his acting in this portion of the movie draws you in close but is still funny. Right there he drops the comedy on you like a feather, not a hammer.

Zodiac

Jul 6, 2003
sad news. i loved watching his movies when i was a kid ...especially his Mel Brooks stuff, and the movies he did with Richard Pryor. never failed to make me laugh. he was one of my favorites.

RIP

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
According to his nephew, he passed from complications related to Alzheimers. Sad way to end life (we have a family friend whose wife is suffering from this now), though at least he supposedly never lost his ability to recognize close family and his personality didn't change. But he had quite an accomplished professional life as well as charitable one after Radner died, and to lose so much of what makes you YOU is a tough way to pass from this Earth.

I'm not looking forward to it when I end up with it in a couple decades (I'm probably reading too much into my lack of short term memory, but...) :wally:

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I feel like I've failed as a Movie fan when the only Gene Wilder film I've seen is Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Still, he was terrific in that film, and while I loved the heart and soul of the ending, my favorite part of the film was the "You get Nothing" scene.

RIP to Mr. Wilder. :(

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Wilder's performance in Willy Wonka (despite all the memes made about it) was incredible. RIP Mr. Wilder

2016 has been a horrible year

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Sad to hear he passed, and he was an iconic comedian/actor and so much more.

I'll be pushing the gifs this season.

giphy.gif

I heard he was fighting Alzheimer's for the last 3 years.

RIP.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
Pretty sure the first movie I saw him in besides Willy Wonka was Haunted Honeymoon with Gilda. Always a good ham it up movie.

RIP Letterman (if you know the Electric Company, you'll get it)

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Boooooo. Huge fan. Loved all his work w/Pryor, even the movies that most have never heard of (Another You, anybody?).

Willy Wonka has been a favorite since as long as I can remember, See No Evil Hear No Evil as well. So damn funny.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I feel like I've failed as a Movie fan when the only Gene Wilder film I've seen is Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Still, he was terrific in that film, and while I loved the heart and soul of the ending, my favorite part of the film was the "You get Nothing" scene.

RIP to Mr. Wilder. :(

Oh man you need to watch Blazzing Saddles. Hilarious and racist (in a good way, they spare no one).

RIP Gene.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
RIP Mr. Wilder. :(

His work with Mel Brooks was the stuff of legend.

Going to watch Young Frankenstein tonight.

(Never would have guessed he'd be outlived by Frau Blucher)

**** you 2016. Seriously. ****. YOU.

Sigh.

It's only going to get worse, I bet. People we grew up watching and listening to, are going to start leaving us more and more frequently as we age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad