Gene Principe

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Principe puts on a clown show.. no doubt about it.
I believe it's something Edmonton fans have grown used to and don't notice anymore. :devdance:
I don't know if you've noticed, but hockey in Alberta has been a clown show for quite a while.

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
I saw him running once in a traffic circle in Penticton. He was really giving it. He could have used a little more peripheral awareness. Don't worry, I stopped in time.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
He's a born Edmontonian who is passionate about the Oilers.

He is a fixture of Edmonton media. Just like Bill Matheson was.

He is quirky. Definitely dorky. But you can't appeal to all. It is his enthusiasm I like.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Yeah, Gene's thing is like mashing morning show randomness into his interviews. It's not my thing, but seeing people hate him for it is weird.

I wouldn't mind seeing others incorporate some of what he does into their interviews. IMO that might be neat. But slightly more hockey/personal topics and a lot less random.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
It's not a comment on his character. More on him being about as funny as Will Farrell was in The Office and adding zero insight into the game.

He's not analyst and no one has ever gone to Gene for analysis. He is a broadcaster and an entertainer and hes a nice change-up from the plastic 4 analyst round tables we get out of Sportsnet.

Reactions: ps241

Ossific

Aug 23, 2010
I grew up in Edmonton. Once I left and Winnipeg got it's own team I finally was able to move on and see that my relationship with Gene Principe was built on terrible terrible jokes. I don't miss him. I hope he gets the help he needs!

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Every time I accidentally watch Canadian broadcast, I am a bit taken aback by these talking heads, Gene, Friedman, used to be Cherry with sidekick.
It is like watching abc/cbs/nbc news and accidentally switching to fox news here in US.
Weird quirky dudes from alternate universe...
Haha, great take. The US-Style over-hyped professional broadcaster seems too fake to us. We can only handle like 1 "Straight man".

We like to sit around and talk about them: who we like, who we hate, who's an idiot, Hrudy's hair, or now bloated face / plastic surgery, Cherry's outfits, facial hair, hairstyle, voice, etc.

You need characters for that, and when we get bored we need new characters!

...and COVID-era Friedman remains unrivaled
EeDsEPLUEAAaBM_.jpg

Reactions: kugelbahn

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Seriously Oilers fans. Was the decade of darkness not enough pain for you guys? You have to watch this walking, talking, pun making buffoon prance around in boxing gear on your broadcast?
Ok, you're coming after a national treasure like Gene "Prince of Puns" Principe, while your team has Eric "which mediocre flames players butthole can i lick today?" Francis covering your team?

Do better Flamers, do better.

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
He’s a clown. I get second hand embarrassment from this guy. I usually mute him now. Tough day when I agree with a Flames fan

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I like Louie. Principe is a disaster. Michaels is ok. I don't get how anyone could possibly find his schtick good or entertaining.

I could understand thinking we were insecure if you guys were an organization like Tampa or something. You're not. You guys are more like that guy who won on a scratcher and bought a new truck. Then crashed it while sneezing. Then did it again. Then did if again. Then did it again.

Between Louie and Gene, it’s honestly debatable which one is the nicer guy.

At first you roll your eyes… then you groan… then you laugh once and then after about a decade he becomes part of the family. My wife and I honestly live the guy… think he should replace MacLean when the time comes.

I’d honestly walk up to either of Louie or Geno and expect at least a one-handed dude hug.

Michaels I could take him or leave him… he’s a blowhard (yeah that’s his job I suppose) but he makes everything about him. Limited self awareness.

Geno on the other hand has fully embraced his nerdiness… it’s endearing, especially if you enjoy self-deprecating humor. This man has lost all sense of shame in all of the best ways.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
If I were an Oilers fan I would probably love Gene Principe. To me he's always been their version of John Garrett.

Not at all the same… Garrett is a self absorbed a-hole (and I have that on authority, one of my besties growing up is a direct relative).

He’s a huge homer (Gene at least just hosts, he doesn’t have to comment on the game)… his knowledge of the game is cringe-worthy and ugh… he’s just such a negative guy.

Plenty of legit reasons to hate on Garrett… Geno… honestly impossible that he’s ever offended a fly, if you don’t like him, fine… if you hate on him you should probably recalibrate your cynicism meter

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Between Louie and Gene, it’s honestly debatable which one is the nicer guy.

At first you roll your eyes… then you groan… then you laugh once and then after about a decade he becomes part of the family. My wife and I honestly live the guy… think he should replace MacLean when the time comes.

I’d honestly walk up to either of Louie or Geno and expect at least a one-handed dude hug.

Michaels I could take him or leave him… he’s a blowhard (yeah that’s his job I suppose) but he makes everything about him. Limited self awareness.

Geno on the other hand has fully embraced his nerdiness… it’s endearing, especially if you enjoy self-deprecating humor. This man has lost all sense of shame in all of the best ways.
Comparing Gene to Louie is like comparing me to McDavid because we both only play in the offensive zone.

Gene may be a nice guy, seems like he probably is, but he's also a really horrible broadcaster. Not funny, no insight.

then don't watch...Gene is great
I usually skip ahead via my cable box recorder, but I watched live that game. Michaels was ok, solid play by play. Louie is good as always. Principe is horrific.

Bender Duster

Sep 16, 2024
Winnipeg
C'mon, what guy named Gene isn't likeable???

It’s true! I don’t recognize half the Genes ahead of him, but the first one that strikes me as remotely unlikeable is the guy right after him at #35 on the list of Famous Genes.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Gene is a cheesy national treasure. Only edgy douchebags don't like him.

Outside of Gene's clown like persona for Sportsnet. If you ever hear him talk serious about hockey, he's actually super knowledgeable and a great analyst. Like one of the best in the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad