GDT: Game 52 : Leaves @ CBJ : 2/10 7:00 PM

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
There needs to be a real discussion on whether to keep Korpisalo or not. I’m not sure you can look the team in the eye and say you are thinking about the best long term outlook for the team by trading korpi.

I know it hurts the tank, and I know his body of work is mediocre at best. But he’s played exceptionally well this season. Tarasov has not earned anything. And we all know about Elvis

This is of course assuming he would even stay. I could see him wanting to move on himself.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
There needs to be a real discussion on whether to keep Korpisalo or not. I’m not sure you can look the team in the eye and say you are thinking about the best long term outlook for the team by trading korpi.

I know it hurts the tank, and I know his body of work is mediocre at best. But he’s played exceptionally well this season. Tarasov has not earned anything. And we all know about Elvis
Yeah I would like to keep Korpi and see if his play continues like this when the team starts getting better. How that would be possible is luckily not my job.

Game over, 0-3 TOR, rematch tomorrow with Elvis in net...

Reactions: Cowumbus

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

This is of course assuming he would even stay. I could see him wanting to move on himself.

At this point I'm not willing to mess with the tank.

You can makeover the goaltending in the summer. Korpisalo will probably be one of the many UFAs on offer and I hope we have interest then.

Reactions: BB88 and KJ Dangler

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Hmmm. So we lost. But we would have won if we had Texier. Right ????

Reactions: DEF

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
At this point I'm not willing to mess with the tank.

You can makeover the goaltending in the summer. Korpisalo will probably be one of the many UFAs on offer and I hope we have interest then.
Yup .. Korpis gone…fortunately Tarasov has been strong , and you gotta Hope Elvis continues to find his game, and get his head straight .

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
So other than a couple top guys like Vasi and Hellebuyck many goalies get swapped around pretty constantly. Korpi has been around for awhile and we want him to succeed but really there are a number of guys who could do just as well. I dont imagine he'll be in a hurry to stick around and make less than Elvis.
As an example Carolina is a team that doesnt care what you think about their choice of goalies and a sound team game can make a world of difference

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I don’t know why people continue to imply Tarasov has been good. His numbers this year are not good, and although he’s been better than Elvis (not saying much) he hasn’t exactly inspired confidence either IMO.

He’s been OK. But his injury issues and AHL play bother me. I don’t think I can trust him to be the backup next year if Elvis is the starter

Last edited:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I don’t know why people continue to imply Tarasov has been good. His numbers this year are not good, and although he’s been better than Elvis (not saying much) he hasn’t exactly inspired confidence either IMO.

He’s been OK. But his injury issues and AHL play bother me. I don’t think I can trust him to be the backup next year if Elvis is the starter
His numbers are better that Korpis.. both save % and GAA..he has like 10 less starts I believe, but many of his opponents, especially in fist 10 starts this yr we’re some of best teams in the league.

65932E17-991D-473A-8A17-94984DF84865.png

Attachments

• C44B9C9B-7479-4A95-8AD4-365FCD465918.png
    C44B9C9B-7479-4A95-8AD4-365FCD465918.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

The CBJ made the decision (it appears it may be the wrong one) when it signed Elvis.
Problem is Elvis has negative value, so he's untradeable unless we attach other assets to him and take on another bad contract.
As you mentioned Korpi has a body of work - sometimes it was bad sometimes average, a few times (like now) it's good.

To me Elvis needs a fresh start but it's really impossible to move him until he starts playing like a NHL goalie.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I think you can turn it around and say to Korpi that you are playing lights out and we want to give you a chance to play post season games and we want you back for next season.

It doesn’t have to be a final goodbye

His numbers are better that Korpis.. both save % and GAA..he has like 10 less starts I believe, but many of his opponents, especially in fist 10 starts this yr we’re some of best teams in the league.

View attachment 648478

Feels like since the start Korpi has been game after game the MVP for Columbus

Don’t remember that from Tarasov

Last edited:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Feels like since the start Korpi has been game after game the MVP for Columbus

Don’t remember that from Tarasov
As mentioned above , Tarasov has better stats on the season , and that was when a large chunk of our players were hurt , when our players looked like they had no clue what the defensive system was . Not to mention. , look at the game logs of the teams Tarasov faced , most were against the top teams . Both him and Elvis are signed for next year , so you have to get an asset for Korpi , especially if a team like Vegas is going to be desperate. Besides , have we not learned anything from this year ? Korpi was consistently one of the worst goalies in the nhl for the prior 2.5 seasons, now he is playing pretty well , does that carry over into next season ? On the other hand Elvis was great his first 2 , slipped a bit last yr , which is understandable in lieu of the tragedy with Kivi. This year he’s just been bad … My guess is that Manny is canned after this season , our under-qualified Defensive coach is canned , and Larsen is safe . Gotta go that route first , see if it resolves problem with Elvis . I could see Elvis and Tarasov , 1a, 1b next yr

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
As mentioned above , Tarasov has better stats on the season , and that was when a large chunk of our players were hurt , when our players looked like they had no clue what the defensive system was . Not to mention. , look at the game logs of the teams Tarasov faced , most were against the top teams . Both him and Elvis are signed for next year , so you have to get an asset for Korpi , especially if a team like Vegas is going to be desperate. Besides , have we not learned anything from this year ? Korpi was consistently one of the worst goalies in the nhl for the prior 2.5 seasons, now he is playing pretty well , does that carry over into next season ? On the other hand Elvis was great his first 2 , slipped a bit last yr , which is understandable in lieu of the tragedy with Kivi. This year he’s just been bad … My guess is that Manny is canned after this season , our under-qualified Defensive coach is canned , and Larsen is safe . Gotta go that route first , see if it resolves problem with Elvis . I could see Elvis and Tarasov , 1a, 1b next yr
The only thing Tarasov has done consistantly is be injured. You can say his stats are better, but a .001 better save percentage, and .05 GAA average is nitpicking. There is a bigger difference in Korpi's favor in win-loss record. But seeing as though you want to lose, you like Tarasov's win-loss record better.

I like Tarasov, but he has been as inconsistant as our other goalies have been. The way this year has gone, best case scenario would be Korpi doing another one year deal with Columbus, Elvis straightening his head out, and Tarasov having a healthy season in the AHL. I doubt any of that happens though. Tarasov really hasn't earned a backup spot in the NHL yet, but he has shown flashes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad