GDT: GDT: #60 New York Islanders @ Pittsburgh Penguins | February 20th | 7 PM | F/4-2 W

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I literally want to punch anyone who says Sullivan isn't a huge issue in the face. When a team is disorganized CONSISTENTLY, that's on coaching.

Oh and at this point I'm just checking boxscores to see whether Sid or Geno added to their career totals so they can move up the all-time lists. I couldn't give a f*** about the on ice product as long as Sullivan is around.
You guys need a legit and steady goalie as well. It’s really amazing how coaches can lose their spark. There was a time where Sullivan was thought very highly of. Sometimes teams just need a change. I would have never fired Cassidy last yea but look at what Montgomery has done with the bruins. At least you know your team needs it. My team didn’t need it and still made the change.

Suffolkbull3

Apr 27, 2016
this team is sooooooo annoying!! just when you think its all over no playofffs because they suck so bad, they find a way to give us hope. a super shocking win, i thought they would lose by. at least 3… i really dont want to fool myself into thinking and hoping they make the playoffs but this team just will not give up.. i think they said fk lambert they will do ot themselves.

Reactions: Foppberg

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Gutsy win, nice mix of veteran wisdom and youthful exuberance.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Makes me wonder where Ross has been all year even in the games he's played he hasn't done his thing much
It's hard to sit for 3 weeks at a time then get 9 minutes of ice time and go out and stir something up.

You might be correct but
Never going to happen
Crosby, Malkin, Letang
Unless one of those requests a move, they’re going to try and keep the band together and supplement
As well they should
Add in Rust, Guentzel.

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
Just got done watching. Gave myself a tension headache because i wouldn't relax my neck and shoulders. Glad the team pulled that out for Soroking. Especially after the terrible officiating. That extra Mayfield penalty...WTF?!?
Zucker also blatantly tripped Mayfield in last few minutes.

Reactions: danteipp

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
lets see if they get to play that monster in net for Winnipeg. Guy looks 6'8 350 between the pipes
So basically he looks like Vasilevskiy does when he puts on his Garth Snow chest protector.

Just got done watching. Gave myself a tension headache because i wouldn't relax my neck and shoulders. Glad the team pulled that out for Soroking. Especially after the terrible officiating. That extra Mayfield penalty...WTF?!?
The Isles also didn’t get a power play until Pittsburgh scored on the man advantage. Not the first time the stripes have done that either.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
this team is sooooooo annoying!! just when you think its all over no playofffs because they suck so bad, they find a way to give us hope. a super shocking win, i thought they would lose by. at least 3… i really dont want to fool myself into thinking and hoping they make the playoffs but this team just will not give up.. i think they said fk lambert they will do ot themselves.
Sorokin.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
You guys need a legit and steady goalie as well. It’s really amazing how coaches can lose their spark. There was a time where Sullivan was thought very highly of. Sometimes teams just need a change. I would have never fired Cassidy last yea but look at what Montgomery has done with the bruins. At least you know your team needs it. My team didn’t need it and still made the change.
The problem with Sullivan is he's become complacent and he refuses to adjust to his roster. A "system" only works if you have the players to properly play it. Sullivan wants the Pens to play like the 2016 Pens, which was a fast paced, in-your-face team that forechecked well and just was faster than anyone else. This year's team isn't that, yet he wants them to do the same stuff.

IMO, the really elite coaches are the ones who adjust their system based on the roster they have to work with. The good but replaceable ones are like Sullivan, who insist their team play one way even if the roster can't. In other words, he's not a "bad" coach. He's just a poor fit for the Penguins now.

Reactions: SI90 and PK Cronin

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The problem with Sullivan is he's become complacent and he refuses to adjust to his roster. A "system" only works if you have the players to properly play it. Sullivan wants the Pens to play like the 2016 Pens, which was a fast paced, in-your-face team that forechecked well and just was faster than anyone else. This year's team isn't that, yet he wants them to do the same stuff.

IMO, the really elite coaches are the ones who adjust their system based on the roster they have to work with. The good but replaceable ones are like Sullivan, who insist their team play one way even if the roster can't. In other words, he's not a "bad" coach. He's just a poor fit for the Penguins now.
This has been a huge conversation and point from myself and @PK Cronin on the isles and Lambert making adjustments to cater to the isles roster. Completely agree that if you’re going to run a specific system that you stil need the right horses to do so.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I literally want to punch anyone who says Sullivan isn't a huge issue in the face. When a team is disorganized CONSISTENTLY, that's on coaching.

Oh and at this point I'm just checking boxscores to see whether Sid or Geno added to their career totals so they can move up the all-time lists. I couldn't give a f*** about the on ice product as long as Sullivan is around.
I just want to punch Sid and Geno in the face.

He's a gigantic p***y who only goes after guys significantly smaller, when it's someone his own size he runs away or gets tossed around. He wanted no part of Johnston and saw an opportunity to go after someone already tied up so he took it because he's a piece of shit on the ice.
I would love to see someone do to him what Tie Domi did to Ulf Samuelsson.

Reactions: danteipp and SI90

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
This has been a huge conversation and point from myself and @PK Cronin on the isles and Lambert making adjustments to cater to the isles roster. Completely agree that if you’re going to run a specific system that you stil need the right horses to do so.
Like Lambert realizing he doesn’t have finishers on his roster no matter how much he sacrifices from team defense?

Reactions: SI90

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

Honestly though, how many elite coaches are there then? Because I really can't think of one that changes their system to match the players. Sure, maybe when they first join a team that tweak it, but eventually the GM just spends the time getting players to match the system and the coach keeps coaching that way. If he changes it after several years, that looks more like he's floundering than adjusting and will probably get canned. If he keeps his system, at least he can rationalize, "Hey, I won a cup with this, you've just failed to surround me with players that can excel in my proven system." I'm not saying this is all black and white, just that I don't see a lot of coaches willing to do what you think an elite coach does. If you've got an example though I certainly listen. I admit I don't follow coaches league wide with any true intensive analysis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad