GDT: GDT: #51 Detroit Red Wings vs New York Islanders | John Tonelli Legends Night | January 27th | 7 PM | F/2-0 W

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
GG, It was not Pretty
Some nights at last call the lights would come on and we get a good look at who we're talking to and we excuse ourselves to the restroom and flee out the back door and I do mean quickly.

Then on a night like tonight no matter how ugly they look, we're just happy to get lucky

Reactions: MarsTBOW

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
It’s only been a year and a half since back to back ECFs. Brand new state of the art arena, organization back to respectability, best practice facility in the NHL as well.

They have done everything they said they would and everything we wanted for decades. Lou’s tenure maybe running its course but Ledecky and Malkin certainly aren’t the problem. Also, Cohen hasn’t done really anything with the Mets or won anything. You can’t just throw money around in Hockey because of the salary cap.
Cohen is at the beginning of an upward trend. He was smart enough not to overpay for DeGrom and replaces less effective pieces like McCann with an upgrade like Narvaez and brings in solid role players like Vogelbach and Pham.

He came in and cleaned some house. The Isles owners may do well to investigate the trust they have in Lou and what he has and has not done and see if maybe the property needs to be refurbished in some form or fashion

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
It was ugly. But feels better than losing at least!
Like that Raty likes to shoot.
Beau played better than Barzal
The PP... No words.
Palmieri was good and Pelech seems to be finding touch again.
It was sure ugly...though i do not feel any better winning.....more, against almost any other team, this was a loss.

Need to see more Raty.....Should be seeing more Raty
Also like Bolduc....just a real easy feel to his game....kinda like the way he interviews, lol

Oh, and Beau absolutely sucked again.....but that statement is true and says more than a lot.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Agreed. Then again, this team has its work cut out.
A turnaround would require some shrewd moves. Obviously we need a scorer. But in terms of Cap conscious moves and flipping hard to move guys, I'd try to get Vrana and Puljujarvi. Maybe EDM would take Bailey for Pulj and the Wings would take Beau for Vrana.

Puljujarvi is much maligned but actually has good metrics and can still pot 15 and be a set up guy.

Of course, we still need a primary scorer, but this is where I'd start.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
A turnaround would require some shrewd moves. Obviously we need a scorer. But in terms of Cap conscious moves and flipping hard to move guys, I'd try to get Vrana and Puljujarvi. Maybe EDM would take Bailey for Pulj and the Wings would take Beau for Vrana.

Puljujarvi is much maligned but actually has good metrics and can still pot 15 and be a set up guy.

Of course, we still need a primary scorer, but this is where I'd start.
Pulju isn't that good. Some people think he's another Nichushkin case, but the kid is just so bad because he drags his stick down on the ice while skating. Vrana is interesting but something must've happened to him mentally.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
It was sure ugly...though i do not feel any better winning.....more, against almost any other team, this was a loss.

Need to see more Raty.....Should be seeing more Raty
Also like Bolduc....just a real easy feel to his game....kinda like the way he interviews, lol

Oh, and Beau absolutely sucked again.....but that statement is true and says more than a lot.
I've noticed Raty finishes his checks well. Had 4 hits in 8 min last night. I like his game

Reactions: Lek and MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
He seemed that way in pre season too. We need that!

What's your view on Bolduc as a pro? I have great respect for your minor league knowledge whereas I have none!
First, Bolduc 6'4" and skilled so that's my biggest green checkmark in his column. He seems to skate effortlessly, is able to move the puck cleanly. It's too early for me to start pimping him up yet but I think he's gonna be a keeper for us.

Incidently, I spent most of last night trying to focus on Simon Holmstrom as I sit in the Isles end during the 1st and 3rd periods. This game he really impressed me with how poised he is under pressure in the D zone. He is usually hard on the puck and is really good at clearing the puck out over the blue line to relieve danger and end a threat against. He rarely turns the puck over (granted it's limited minutes) but I think that's huge for a rookie on this team.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
First, Bolduc 6'4" and skilled so that's my biggest green checkmark in his column. He seems to skate effortlessly, is able to move the puck cleanly. It's too early for me to start pimping him up yet but I think he's gonna be a keeper for us.

Incidently, I spent most of last night trying to focus on Simon Holmstrom as I sit in the Isles end during the 1st and 3rd periods. This game he really impressed me with how poised he is under pressure in the D zone. He is usually hard on the puck and is really good at clearing the puck out over the blue line to relieve danger and end a threat against. He rarely turns the puck over (granted it's limited minutes) but I think that's huge for a rookie on this team.

One thing I noticed about Bolduc the first time I watched him in person at the prospect game years ago was how skilled of a skater he is due to his size. He is going to be a quality player in this league and should not be sent back down.

Many of these Lou picks we are starting to see come up and I am impressed. Holmstrom, Raty, and Bolduc have all looked the part.

Reactions: MJF

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.

i noted the same thing about Bolduc. effortless skating. seems to glide out there. pretty to watch

Buccigross and AJ did the game last night for ESPN. they were drowned out a lot by the crowd during play by play but they were glowing in their assessment of holmstrom and his poise and positioning.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
One thing I noticed about Bolduc the first time I watched him in person at the prospect game years ago was how skilled of a skater he is due to his size. He is going to be a quality player in this league and should not be sent back down.

Many of these Lou picks we are starting to see come up and I am impressed. Holmstrom, Raty, and Bolduc have all looked the part.
He should stay here the rest of the way. I don't even want him going back to play in the AHL All Star Game. Can't have this kid risking injury in a nonsense game ;)

Reactions: Mike C

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
We win, but it means nothing. What this game showed me is Detriot is HORRIBLE. and Everyone prasing Yzerman need to serious rethink their opinion about him.

We still suck, and no we won't go on any sort of run to make the playoffs. Not even close. We will go back to losing today against Vegas.

We played a team that you can tell is tanking.

I like Bolduc, To me he reminds me of a mix of Pelech and Dobson. I know, I know. Not saying he's going to be an all-star, but definitely a solid 2nd pairing d-man.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
We win, but it means nothing. What this game showed me is Detriot is HORRIBLE. and Everyone prasing Yzerman need to serious rethink their opinion about him.

We still suck, and no we won't go on any sort of run to make the playoffs. Not even close. We will go back to losing today against Vegas.

We played a team that you can tell is tanking.

I like Bolduc, To me he reminds me of a mix of Pelech and Dobson. I know, I know. Not saying he's going to be an all-star, but definitely a solid 2nd pairing d-man.
in fairness to Det, they palyed OT game across the border in MTL the night before and looked like it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad