GDT: GDT #2 New York Islanders @ Dallas Stars | October 12th | 8:00 PM | F/L 3-0

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
Agree with Roy. We outplayed them at times, so we were not embarrassed. Errors...giveaways... are hurting us a lot.

I am no picking on Barzy, nor implying that Roy's quote was directed toward him, but I think he HAS to work on that part of his game. I feel like he has been getting better at what I might call, 'over-possession', and even saw him dump it in a few times. More northsouth and less eastwest. More shooting.

If he fixes that part of his game, he will be a perennial top-10.
Barzal is 27 years old and in his eighth full time season. We know the kind of player he is already.

If he has one “top 10” season I’d be very surprised, let alone be in the perennial top 10. Perennial top 50 is probably more realistic.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
I mean you asked for teams who won Cups in the last 15 years after tear downs and I provided that. I could have also included Florida (#1 overall picks in two consecutive years). Obviously you have to get other parts of the rebuild right, nobody is claiming that a tank will magically solve all of your problems. Coaching matters. You have to make smart picks in later rounds or find way to build good depth in other ways (a big problem for Edmonton and Buffalo), and Florida made the leap because they made smart moves over the last few years. They also drafted the best two way center on the planet right now at #1. It’s a nice start.
So a handful of teams had successful rebuilds and a handful of teams did not. A team can be built into a cup contender without trying to lose for 3-5 seasons. Lou is not the right man for the job as he locks up average players for forever contracts. We can attract UFA talent but can not pay them because contracts like Pelech, Lee, and JGP to name a few

We have a new arena and a very small fan base. Do you think anyone wants to be non competitive for 3-5 years and have 7-9k in the building every night? To add we have only 7 pages on this GDT… just another example of a small fan base that will not tolerate a compete tear down

Last edited:

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Not to be a jerk, but Buffalo, Utah, Detroit, Edmonton, and Toronto say hello.

You're not being a jerk at all...Just looking through the wrong end of the telescope. Remember that only 1 team can win a Cup per year, but hopefully you've learned from most of the last 30 years of Islander hockey that it doesn't matter how many picks you have if your owner/GM is terrible (and most of those teams you listed qualify that way).

With that said...Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA, Tampa, and Colorado send a postcard from Fiji.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
You're not being a jerk at all...Just looking through the wrong end of the telescope. Remember that only 1 team can win a Cup per year, but hopefully you've learned from most of the last 30 years of Islander hockey that it doesn't matter how many picks you have if your owner/GM is terrible (and most of those teams you listed qualify that way).

With that said...Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA, Tampa, and Colorado send a postcard from Fiji.
Someone has to win every year and 31 teams do not. Tanking the right year AND winning the lotto might be even more important than owner/GM. Look at us, we got Tavares who is a great player but he does not change a franchise like Crosby,Mcdavid, Kane etc…

Tanking is not the answer and guarantees nothing. The time to make moves was the last 2 years to re tool on the fly. Horvat was a good move. Keeping Mayfield, Nelson, and Palms were all bad moves

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Someone has to win every year and 31 teams do not. Tanking the right year AND winning the lotto might be even more important than owner/GM. Look at us, we got Tavares who is a great player but he does not change a franchise like Crosby,Mcdavid, Kane etc…

Tanking is not the answer and guarantees nothing. The time to make moves was the last 2 years to re tool on the fly. Horvat was a good move. Keeping Mayfield, Nelson, and Palms were all bad moves
They literally are on the end of the line for both Nelson and Palmieri. At some point the islanders DEFENSE needs to change and not the offense. I swear the defense being locked up for half a decade plus is worse than any forward or goalie contract since none of them can skate or provide good enough offense

Romanov is also doing a very very very good job at making Jfresh look right and say that we overrated him a ton. This isn't good. Our defense depends on Dobson and Reilly for offense, and everyone else can barely play offense. Adam Pelech and Ryan Pulock's regressions also have been terrible.

Last edited:

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
I
They literally are on the end of the line for both Nelson and Palmieri. At some point the islanders DEFENSE needs to change and not the offense. I swear the defense being locked up for half a decade plus is worse than any forward or goalie contract since none of them can skate or provide good enough offense

I agree with you about the defense. We have 4 guys locked up that are all on the downside of their careers for the next half decade.

With Nelson and Palms I think last years TDL was the time to move on from them as they probably had really good value and would have given wiggle room for us this off season. I like both players but they both should be dealt at the TDL this year unless we are a top 6 team in the conference at that time.

Holding onto Mayfield 2 years ago and not trading him at the TDL followed by a lifetime contract was a major major blunder

MYIslanders

Oct 4, 2014
I’m not sure how anyone could watch that game and say they played well. Dobson sucked (again), the special teams suck, the entire second period sucked, and they only acted like they cared in the 3rd. Not a good look.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Not to be a jerk, but Buffalo, Utah, Detroit, Edmonton, and Toronto say hello.
Toronto is an example of a team that will NEVER rebuild because ownership would never permit it. Not that the Leafs would ever have to worry about corporate sponsors and plan holders turning their backs on the team the way the Islanders plan and sponsors have and seem to be doing (down to 6,500 full season subscribers) again.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Agree with Roy. We outplayed them at times, so we were not embarrassed. Errors...giveaways... are hurting us a lot.

I am no picking on Barzy, nor implying that Roy's quote was directed toward him, but I think he HAS to work on that part of his game. I feel like he has been getting better at what I might call, 'over-possession', and even saw him dump it in a few times. More northsouth and less eastwest. More shooting.

I dunno but I think our passing is awful once again. The inability of guys like Nelson, Lee, Pulock to execute a pass quick on the tape really lacks.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
So a handful of teams had successful rebuilds and a handful of teams did not. A team can be built into a cup contender without trying to lose for 3-5 seasons. Lou is not the right man for the job as he locks up average players for forever contracts. We can attract UFA talent but can not pay them because contracts like Pelech, Lee, and JGP to name a few

We have a new arena and a very small fan base. Do you think anyone wants to be non competitive for 3-5 years and have 7-9k in the building every night? To add we have only 7 pages on this GDT… just another example of a small fan base that will not tolerate a compete tear down
They're already not tolerating a mid team that barely makes the playoffs and doesn't go very far once they do.

I’m not sure how anyone could watch that game and say they played well. Dobson sucked (again), the special teams suck, the entire second period sucked, and they only acted like they cared in the 3rd. Not a good look.
But damn they did a lot of good things out there and they practice well.:eyeroll:

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
They're already not tolerating a mid team that barely makes the playoffs and doesn't go very far once they do.

But damn they did a lot of good things out there and they practice well.:eyeroll:

Step 1 is getting rid of Lou and getting a GM that can magically fix some of his mistakes

Reactions: MJF

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020

All the warning signs were there. He’s not that guy and highly likely he never develops into that player. You have 8 more years to hope and pray.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
The reason this team has had any success in recent years, is Trotz took a Tavaresless team and built a system around the talent he had. Roy is trying to build a new system but doesn’t have the parts to play it. They really need to make more serious decisions on the likes of Pageau and Lee and finally move Wahlstrom from this team. Don’t really like the Dobson / Romanov pairing either
Is this the Komarov argument? He was dragging down the soon to be great Barzal?

Bc Komarov is long gone, the fringe has changed, yet the team hasn’t won a playoff series since Komarov was dished off.

Maybe it’s the core forwards that are the issue that this team decided to invest in(wrongly). Even better, now the Isles have Duke Bure for four years.

What team goes to war and wins with Ice Capades and Duke Bure? Just one…and it shows.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I would love for them to score a goal and not give up a goal within the next 5 minutes after. They could even lose the game, but if they score and don't immediately give up a goal right after I will be happy.

Plus Dallas is objectively a better team with a coach who has a track record of success, so I'm not getting my hopes up.
They couldn’t even score a goal. :cry:

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Winning fixes everything. Win a few games and everyone will be singing a different tune. At the very least they are playing a style of hockey that is not boring to watch.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
People have been complaining about Isles GM since Torrey left.

Didn’t the Vegas coach get his team to the finals in their first season? With a roster of unprotected players?

Yup. Coaching in today’s NHL determines it all. PP and PK % too.

//JB12
We have had coaches come and go but bad special teams lives with this roster

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Winning fixes everything. Win a few games and everyone will be singing a different tune. At the very least they are playing a style of hockey that is not boring to watch.
They’ll win their share of games, and they’ll make the playoffs. Probably.

barz2

Jul 1, 2023

I would say we outplayed them in the third, but Dallas was already up by 2, and with their structure, and Otter playing like he was … I don’t think they needed to go pedal to the metal, per se. I know the SOG were in our favor, as well as the O-Zone time, but I didn’t really see that many quality scoring chances… I remember one post .. could have been a few, like Roy said… with a guy like Otter .. if you give him clean looks, he’s not going to let much behind him. Not enough traffic at all. As far as Barzy… they were keying on him, and he just doesn’t play big enough sometimes to be effective when the opposition is not giving him space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad