Speculation: Gavrikov's Future

Gavrikov's Future

• Extend

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Let walk at end of season

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • Trade to a team he wants to go to (NMC)

Votes: 36 75.0%

• Total voters

MonkeysUncle

May 31, 2024
San Diego County
So the best case scenario here is this?

Anderson - Doughty
Edmundson - Clarke
Kirsanov - Spence

It’s a good thing we had that insane prospect depth and then didn’t have a plan for the future lol
Unfortunately that's where at and I'd rather go with that as sooner rather than later, get Gavrikov $$ off the books and not resign him at an insane price. Preferably at deadline when gms start acting more crazy

Reactions: Johnny Utah

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
They will probably trade him if the team is not in contention. Otherwise, he will walk. I think there could be an extension if the young D don't step and make him redundant.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
The moment i saw Gavrikov signing a 2 years contract that also ends when Kopitar and Doughty are done, i knew this man will walk away for free.
The no movement clause also prevents trading..... bravo

All this for the usual 1st and 3rd rounder.
Since we are honest people, we can't forget to mention, that we also got 1 years of backup level goal tending back.

The league is loving the Kings right now, with Gavrikov we will let people walk for free, who return 1st rounders for teams with at least basic level management.
That will be 3 1st rounders missing for the rebuild after Kopitar and Doughty

Last edited:

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
The moment i saw Gavrikov signing a 2 years contract that also ends when Kopitar and Doughty are done, i knew this man will walk away for free.
The no movement clause also prevents trading..... bravo

All this for the usual 1st and 3rd rounder.
Since we are honest people, we can't forget to mention, that we also got 1 years of backup level goal tending back.

The league is loving the Kings right now, with Gavrikov we will let people walk for free, who return 1st rounders for teams with at least basic level management.
That will be 3 1st rounders missing for the rebuild after Kopitar and Doughty
With the trading of multiple first rounders it harkens back to the 70's when the Kings traded away every single one except Jay Wells...Kings did draft Tim Young in 1975 but when he found out the Kings signed Marcel Dionne The Magician("UFA") and would sit behind Butch Goring,Juha Widing (our numero uno Centre) for 4-5 years,the Kings traded him to the Minnesota North-Stars for a 2nd Rounder that LA turned into the not so great Steve Clippingdale

Reactions: Kurrilino

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
With the trading of multiple first rounders it harkens back to the 70's when the Kings traded away every single one except Jay Wells...Kings did draft Tim Young in 1975 but when he found out the Kings signed Marcel Dionne The Magician("UFA") and would sit behind Butch Goring,Juha Widing (our numero uno Centre) for 4-5 years,the Kings traded him to the Minnesota North-Stars for a 2nd Rounder that LA turned into the not so great Steve Clippingdale

From this point of view we are doing great.
Little later after your scenario, we traded for Wayne Gretzky.

So just wait for McDavid and as Gretzky came with Kurri, McDavid will come with Draisaitl.

I swear this has been Blakes plan all along.
This is the only explanation for Blakes behavior

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
From this point of view we are doing great.
Little later after your scenario, we traded for Wayne Gretzky.

So just wait for McDavid and as Gretzky came with Kurri, McDavid will come with Draisaitl.

I swear this has been Blakes plan all along.
This is the only explanation for Blakes behavior
McSaviour and Draisaitl to LA for all the Southern California Real Estate and 20 first rounders...that should do it

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Remind me, who exactly did Vlad replace in the lineup? Feels like it was Edler. Maybe it was some kid playing his offside while Todd held his nose. For the total cost of ownership, has this guy moved a single needle? So far, definitely no.

This is a true sunk cost scenario, so it’s a sure bet he walks to UFA with zero compensation coming back. If Roy can hit the lottery, then Gavvy is going to easily dance his way to a raise next to Panarin or Bob.

And that’s a better decision than re upping him. A one year deal at his current number is a waste of fan time and ownership’s money.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Like the player, scared to know what he'd ask for in an extension. Turns 29 in November, probably wants at least 5-6 years. I guess it depends on how you view this team going forward. Is this team still going to compete the next couple of years, or are they going to fall off? If they fall off this year is he even going to want to resign? Still a lot of questions that remain.

To answer the question, I'd like to keep them, but got to see how the season plays out. I don't love him enough to committ a lot of years for him and especially if the team is out of the playoffs by the deadline.

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
Remind me, who exactly did Vlad replace in the lineup? Feels like it was Edler. Maybe it was some kid playing his offside while Todd held his nose. For the total cost of ownership, has this guy moved a single needle? So far, definitely no.

This is a true sunk cost scenario, so it’s a sure bet he walks to UFA with zero compensation coming back. If Roy can hit the lottery, then Gavvy is going to easily dance his way to a raise next to Panarin or Bob.

And that’s a better decision than re upping him. A one year deal at his current number is a waste of fan time and ownership’s money.
Which is why re-upping him is the most likely outcome so long as BLuc are still here.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
If LA were building towards something, you pay to keep him. I like his game and his personality (and we have no one to replace him). But the only thing we're building is a hamster wheel, so why bother.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
If LA were building towards something, you pay to keep him. I like his game and his personality (and we have no one to replace him). But the only thing we're building is a hamster wheel, so why bother.
Never pay the 4th contract and only pay the 3rd on core players

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Vlad’s already earned $10.23M of his $11.75M deal due to signing bonuses. By taking a 2 year deal, he bet on himself. Does anyone think he’s inline for a raise on his $5.875M AAV contract next season?

Does anyone want Rob Blake to give him a long term deal, nevermind a raise on top of it? It’s just more lightning money on fire.

So I think he’d be open to a move if he thinks it’ll lead to a better next contract than if he plays out the year on a Kings team no one expects to contend anytime soon.

Reactions: YP44

Peter James Bond III

De-LUC-sional
Jul 8, 2020
I expect a better year, as he should be healthy. I don't think he was ever close to 100% after his 'lower body injury'.
I say give him a few months and see how he's playing with Spence / Clarke.
But, if they want to keep him, negotiate before trade deadline.....if can't get a 4 yr
or less deal, at decent cap, then deal him at the deadline. No more stupid asset management,

By deadline time, the Kings will have a better idea about these LHD:
1. Kirsanov and if he will sign and come over late Spring
2. How good Dvorak is and if he's only 1 yr away.
3. How good Booth is as a pro
4. Is Jared Woolley truly a stud and killing it in London? (still 2-3 yrs away, of course)
5. Honestly, how are Englund and Caleb Jones playing? (wherever they are)

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I expect a better year, as he should be healthy. I don't think he was ever close to 100% after his 'lower body injury'.
But, if they want to keep him, negotiate before trade deadline.....if can't get a 4 yr
or less deal, at decent cap, then deal him at the deadline. No more stupid asset management,

4. Is Jared Woolley truly a stud and killing it in London? (still 2-3 yrs away, of course)
Pretty good take IMO. Hopefully if he doesn’t sign he’d be open to waiving…

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
You don't sign Edmun for 4 years if you plan to extend Gav another 4-5 years. Not with an NHL ready KK expected to come over from Russia this or next year and you top pick last year was a LHD.

I'd then was going to say "it makes no sense to do that" -- but then remembered we're talking Blake. The bird brain with no vision beyond 1-5 months.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You don't sign Edmun for 4 years if you plan to extend Gav another 4-5 years. Not with an NHL ready KK expected to come over from Russia this or next year and you top pick last year was a LHD.

I'd then was going to say "it makes no sense to do that" -- but then remembered we're talking Blake. The bird brain with no vision beyond 1-5 months.

that was my thought, Edmundson is the bridge/contingency plan for everything in @Peter James Bond III 's post going wrong, even if only for a year.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA

I don't see any of those players ready EXCEPT Kirsanov because he is older and been playing in Russian. He will be 22 soon and I heard he's a solid 200 lbs.

I stood next to Dvorak in Vegas last year - he's very young and skinny.

Kings could roll out:

Doughty-Anderson
Kirsanov-Clarke
Edmundson-Spence
Extra: Burroughs

As much as I liked Englund, he's gone. Either traded, waived and picked up OR waived and put in Ontario.

Look at the free agent D next year...Provorov (we are paying him anyways), Chychrun, McCabe, Borgen, Byram (RFA).

Last edited:

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
As much as I liked Englund, he's gone. Either traded, waived and picked up OR waived and put in Ontario.
or unemployed in Greenland

1721940935037.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad