Value of: Garland or Beauvillier for a similarly paid defenceman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I think it's something the Avs could be interested in. Manson is way overrated by fans. Bednar doesn't even think that highly of Manson. He was their 5th most-used defenseman during their Cup run (even after Girard got hurt). And this year against Seattle, Bednar very, very heavily relied on their Makar/Toews/Byram/Girard top-four and used Manson sparingly on the 3rd pair.

His efficacy will only decrease as he gets older and incurs more injuries. The Avs need to improve their forward depth. It's an interesting swap.

Not for Garland. But aside from that, Manson has a full NTC until next summer.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Full NTC until next summer? Yeesh, that was not a great contract.

It's not great. He hasn't played 30 games in 2 of the past 3 years. But to be fair, it was 1 of 2 years when they signed the deal. Hopefully he's mostly healthy next year when they can realistically trade him. Hopefully he's not injured 52 or more games except in contract years.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
It's not great. He hasn't played 30 games in 2 of the past 3 years. But to be fair, it was 1 of 2 years when they signed the deal. Hopefully he's mostly healthy next year when they can realistically trade him. Hopefully he's not injured 52 or more games except in contract years.
Maybe there's a way to dump him this offseason, if he's convinced to waive.

Big, tough RHD. Definitely will be GMs willing to bite.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think it's something the Avs could be interested in. Manson is way overrated by fans. Bednar doesn't even think that highly of Manson. He was their 5th most-used defenseman during their Cup run (even after Girard got hurt). And this year against Seattle, Bednar very, very heavily relied on their Makar/Toews/Byram/Girard top-four and used Manson sparingly on the 3rd pair.

His efficacy will only decrease as he gets older and incurs more injuries. The Avs need to improve their forward depth. It's an interesting swap.

It's an interesting observation...how little Bednar seems to want to deploy Manson. I think he was acquired and signed because he fills a very clear and obvious role need in the Avs blueline. They've got lots of smaller puck movers...what they needed, was a big bruiser to fill things out. But when the rubber hits the road...it certainly is interesting that Bednar clearly prefers others.

I think EJs future probably plays into this. Not sure what's happening with him, and that takes us back to the original acquisition of Manson when EJ was unavailable.

If the Avs were actually willing to swap Manson for Garland, i'd take that an run as a Canucks fan. Heck, i'd do Boeser for Manson easy. He's not as consistent and reliable as you'd like...but he's exactly the sort of partner we've been looking for with Hughes for years, since Tanev left. Goes about things in a very different way, but i think it could be a pretty successful pairing if Manson embraces that role.

I just really don't get the impression that the Avs actually want to move on from him. Even if Bednar doesn't use him as much as he could, or maybe should. And even with Manson's durability issues.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Yes they will, because your post does not factor in the quality of the defenceman involved.
Right, Canucks totally need more #5 defenseman being paid money and term further recycling perpetual cap hell.

Beauvillier and Garland have value, but they’re not worth a trade for a top 4 defenseman.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
It's an interesting observation...how little Bednar seems to want to deploy Manson. I think he was acquired and signed because he fills a very clear and obvious role need in the Avs blueline. They've got lots of smaller puck movers...what they needed, was a big bruiser to fill things out. But when the rubber hits the road...it certainly is interesting that Bednar clearly prefers others.

I think EJs future probably plays into this. Not sure what's happening with him, and that takes us back to the original acquisition of Manson when EJ was unavailable.

If the Avs were actually willing to swap Manson for Garland, i'd take that an run as a Canucks fan. Heck, i'd do Boeser for Manson easy. He's not as consistent and reliable as you'd like...but he's exactly the sort of partner we've been looking for with Hughes for years, since Tanev left. Goes about things in a very different way, but i think it could be a pretty successful pairing if Manson embraces that role.

I just really don't get the impression that the Avs actually want to move on from him. Even if Bednar doesn't use him as much as he could, or maybe should. And even with Manson's durability issues.
Avs fans don't seem to like Garland as a target, but the idea of a Manson swap for a similarly priced forward appears plausible. I doubt Colorado has any interest in Boeser though. He's even more expensive and is too slow to really play their system.

I don't think EJ's presence has much to do with Manson. Like you said, when the rubber hits the road, Bednar doesn't use Manson. I watched every game in that series too, and he certainly didn't look good either.

From a Canucks POV, I think there should be a lot of buyer beware there. There definitely was a time Manson was a premium, physical, defensive defender. I wonder if injuries and general age have just worn him down so much to the point he's just not a top-four player anymore.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Right, Canucks totally need more #5 defenseman being paid money and term further recycling perpetual cap hell.

Beauvillier and Garland have value, but they’re not worth a trade for a top 4 defenseman.

Do they really though?

They're both overpaid middle 6 wingers. Those players typically have very little to negative value.

Also Josh Manson sucks. Would happily trade him for Beauvillier. But he has a NMC and almost certainly wouldn't approve a trade to Vancouver.

We are unfortunately stuck with that waste of cap space.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Do they really though?

They're both overpaid middle 6 wingers. Those players typically have very little to negative value.

Also Josh Manson sucks. Would happily trade him for Beauvillier. But he has a NMC and almost certainly wouldn't approve a trade to Vancouver.

We are unfortunately stuck with that waste of cap space.
On their own, I do believe they have value on a rebuilding team with cap space.

Garland put up 96 points in 158 games and of those 96 points has only put up 15 power play points. He’s a 5 on 5 beast, and puts up solid middle 6 numbers. Quite frankly, I’d keep him over Beauvillier and Boeser. His metrics are pretty good as well, and he brings a pest element that frequently draws timely penalties.

Beauvillier similarly is a solid middle 6 player and has offensive skills that can be useful to a team needing some offensive scoring in their middle 6.

They do have value, though teams won’t part with a top 4 defenseman of the same age, term, and money considering they are significantly more valuable. Manson for Beauvillier isn’t a smart move for Vancouver considering Manson isn’t a good top 4 defenseman and Canucks already paying 7.2M for a #5 defenseman.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016

They are going to move out defencemen this off-season.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
They are going to move out defencemen this off-season.
Who.. an OEL buyout? A Myers trade after Sep 1st when teams have essentially constructed their roster for the upcoming season?

Essentially, you want to bring a Josh Manson type defenseman with term and money. Canucks surely need more of those types.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
Who.. an OEL buyout? A Myers trade after Sep 1st when teams have essentially constructed their roster for the upcoming season?

Essentially, you want to bring a Josh Manson type defenseman with term and money. Canucks surely need more of those types.
Myers is most likely to be moved, yes. We also do not know who they are going to re-sign (such as Bear). Believe it or not, teams make trades after Sept 1st.

I do not know if Manson is the type they would want. I made this thread to gauge the market to see what potential options are available. I do not understand your desire to stifle discussion; if you don’t like it, don’t click on the thread. This seems like a n00b mistake on your end.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

Manson tired unsuccessfully to play thru a significant injury. He missed 46 of the last 49 Avs games before the playoffs. Did you not know this?

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Manson tired unsuccessfully to play thru a significant injury. He missed 46 of the last 49 Avs games before the playoffs. Did you not know this?

Whether he was injured and to what degree might be highly subjective. However, he played for the first time after a long layoff and was extremely rusty. Not giving him games before the playoffs backfired tremendously. But then again, there was a time in the season where he was projected to return before Byram. Some might say the injury lingered on for several months. Others might say it malingered on for several months. Reading X-rays are part of injury recovery. But so is interpreting pain thresholds and that can be a gray area. Gray areas can be a playground.

Last edited:

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
I know I’m in the minority on this one as far as Blackhawk fans go but I would deal Connor Murphy as part of a bigger deal with the Canucks.

If the trade is done at the draft

Vancouver trades:

Myers, Garland and pick # 19

Chicago trades:

Murphy and pick # 67

If the trade is done in September, after Myers‘s bonus is paid, the picks are:

Vanouver’s 2024 1st, top ten protected (becomes unprotected in 2025)

Latest of Chicago’s 2024 2nds

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
I know I’m in the minority on this one as far as Blackhawk fans go but I would deal Connor Murphy as part of a bigger deal with the Canucks.

Vancouver trades:

Chicago trades:

Murphy and pick # 67

Not bad. Although, KD might be more interested in using other picks to get something in that area.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016

Vancouver trades:

Chicago trades:

Murphy and pick # 67

Canucks don’t have pick #19? If you mean #11, this is terrible for Vancouver. Myers doesn’t carry much negative value after his bonus is paid out (I’d say he has neutral value or a mid/late pick), so the Canucks give up Garland and a high 1st for a 2nd and a 30 year old Murphy with a concussion history? Yikes, very bad for Vancouver.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Dvorak is barely an NHL player

Chiarot definately isn’t an NHL player
He sucks by most measures
Not sure why Christian Dvorak is being mentioned when someone asks "Garland or Beauvillier for a similarly paid defenceman", since he is a centre. He's also not "barely an NHL player". He is a pretty good, although overpaid, 3C. You have amazing depth at center if he is a 4C for your team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad