Value of: Garland or Beauvillier for a similarly paid defenceman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Whether he was injured and to what degree might be highly subjective. However, he played for the first time after a long layoff and was extremely rusty. Not giving him games before the playoffs backfired tremendously. But then again, there was a time in the season where he was projected to return before Byram. Some might say the injury lingered on for several months. Others might say it malingered on for several months. Reading X-rays are part of injury recovery. But so is interpreting pain thresholds and that can be a gray area. Gray areas can be a playground.
Manson can back for about 4 games in March. Got hurt again and we didn’t see him for a month until game 1. He wasn’t right, played terrible, then got hurt again by game 5. He was out again. Manson was injured much of this season.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Not sure why Christian Dvorak is being mentioned when someone asks "Garland or Beauvillier for a similarly paid defenceman", since he is a centre. He's also not "barely an NHL player". He is a pretty good, although overpaid, 3C. You have amazing depth at center if he is a 4C for your team.

Some montreal fan said Garland for Dvorak
Garland is better than Dvorak......... pretty easily too

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
You may want to go watch Brodie’s playoff highlights before you make that declaration, he was brutal.
So was the rest of the defense. Brodie has been a stable two way defender for the leafs since he came here. Garland and consistent doesn't bode well together.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Manson tired unsuccessfully to play thru a significant injury. He missed 46 of the last 49 Avs games before the playoffs. Did you not know this?
So was he injured during the 2022 Cup run too? When Bednar also didn't utilize him like a top-four player?

And yes. I did know this. Which is why I literally said "injuries and general aging will reduce his efficacy". Like, getting injured a lot is not a positive factor.

You want to be a condescending know-it-all but aren't actually engaging in any of the actual substance.

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Are they not already spending enough money on D? They just added Hronek and don't even know what that addition is going to do for them yet, right? From an outside perspective I just feel like this isn't really needed, but Canucks fans would obviously know better than I do.

We have over spent on our blue line, but unfortunately it still needs to be upgraded. We also need a 3C.

Canucks are basically at the cap, with a full line up signed. So the only way to maneuver is to trade from a position of strength (W) for a position of weakness (D/C). Expect to see proposals all summer that fall under this premise.

I am operating under the assumption that they try to dump Myers after his bonus is paid out. The Canucks’ biggest needs are a top 4 RHD and 3C.

I could make a case that with the addition of Hronek, our RHD is fairly on par with our LHD. Obviously if we dump Myers that will no longer be the case.

I’m hoping we can sell a couple wingers for draft picks, then sign maybe Gavrikov and Kampf to fill in some holes.

I just don’t see too many great RHD options out there to sign. I’m not sure this is the off-season to upgrade that position. I don’t think any quality RHD will be available for trade either, at least not for what most Canuck fans would be willing to part with.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
So was he injured during the 2022 Cup run too? When Bednar also didn't utilize him like a top-four player?

And yes. I did know this. Which is why I literally said "injuries and general aging will reduce his efficacy". Like, getting injured a lot is not a positive factor.

You want to be a condescending know-it-all but aren't actually engaging in any of the actual substance.
Manson averaged 19 minutes a game back then. Lots of PK. On a team with Byram, Makar and Toews.

Manson had his best ever NHL game in game 6 vs Tampa. He was important. The Avs missed him badly this season.

The Avs don’t need a tiny, overpaid 3rd line winger in his place.

If you’re engaging in advocacy for this trade on behalf of Colorado, you suck at it and/or player evaluation in the same vein.

The Avs would need a bad contract to send to Vancouver for one of their many bad contracts. Unless Nuke is so toxic he can’t play anymore, the Avs don’t have a bad contract to send to Vancouver for one of Vancouvers bad contracts coming the other way.

If Vancouver wants to put Kuzmenko on the table, then the Avs can look at a horse trade. I’d definitely trade Manson for him. I’d even add something like a future 2nd or Olausson.

Last edited:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Manson looked like Tyler Myers this year. Not interested in that contract.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
On their own, I do believe they have value on a rebuilding team with cap space.

Garland put up 96 points in 158 games and of those 96 points has only put up 15 power play points. He’s a 5 on 5 beast, and puts up solid middle 6 numbers. Quite frankly, I’d keep him over Beauvillier and Boeser. His metrics are pretty good as well, and he brings a pest element that frequently draws timely penalties.

Beauvillier similarly is a solid middle 6 player and has offensive skills that can be useful to a team needing some offensive scoring in their middle 6.

They do have value, though teams won’t part with a top 4 defenseman of the same age, term, and money considering they are significantly more valuable. Manson for Beauvillier isn’t a smart move for Vancouver considering Manson isn’t a good top 4 defenseman and Canucks already paying 7.2M for a #5 defenseman.
Manson is not a bad dmen he is just not healthy. Manson health is a good #4

Reactions: Mighty Makar

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

I've always wondered why fans don't value durability in the equation. It doesn't matter if someone at their best is a 1D, if they are never at their best, and when they aren't, they're a 4-5D you know?

Reactions: bossram

mc1laren

Jun 18, 2018
Manson averaged 19 minutes a game back then. Lots of PK. On a team with Byram, Makar and Toews.

Manson had his best ever NHL game in game 6 vs Tampa. He was important. The Avs missed him badly this season.

The Avs don’t need a tiny, overpaid 3rd line winger in his place.

If you’re engaging in advocacy for this trade on behalf of Colorado, you suck at it and/or player evaluation in the same vein.

The Avs would need a bad contract to send to Vancouver for one of their many bad contracts. Unless Nuke is so toxic he can’t play anymore, the Avs don’t have a bad contract to send to Vancouver for one of Vancouvers bad contracts coming the other way.

If Vancouver wants to put Kuzmenko on the table, then the Avs can look at a horse trade. I’d definitely trade Manson for him. I’d even add something like a future 2nd or Olausson.
ummm...started off okay but completely lost by the end. You talk about player evaluation and then propose Manson and a 2nd for a rookie 40 goal scorer signed for two more years at 5.5. Hypocritical much?

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
I think it's something the Avs could be interested in. Manson is way overrated by fans. Bednar doesn't even think that highly of Manson. He was their 5th most-used defenseman during their Cup run (even after Girard got hurt). And this year against Seattle, Bednar very, very heavily relied on their Makar/Toews/Byram/Girard top-four and used Manson sparingly on the 3rd pair.

His efficacy will only decrease as he gets older and incurs more injuries. The Avs need to improve their forward depth. It's an interesting swap.
Manson was hurt, but I do agree that he is overrated by some fans. I don’t mind Garland. I think the Avs want Manson for his size and toughness, though. He is already regressing.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Manson was hurt, but I do agree that he is overrated by some fans. I don’t mind Garland. I think the Avs want Manson for his size and toughness, though. He is already regressing.
I just think Manson is (or should be) an obvious target to move for cap flexibility for the Avs. Maybe they can clear him out or swap him for a forward they can use.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
I just think Manson is (or should be) an obvious target to move for cap flexibility for the Avs. Maybe they can clear him out or swap him for a forward they can use.
I think Girard might be traded this summer. Toews is a possibility, too, but I hope we can re-sign him.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Myers will be placed on waivers after his bonus and a team will claim him.

Maybe. The problem with relying on clearing cap that way, is that it happens so late in the offseason, there's not going to be much left to spend the savings on. Any UFAs worth signing will be long gone. They're not going to wait around for a "what if" scenario to play on Vancouver.

So at that point you're losing Myers who is overpaid, but not really replacing him with anything better. Might as well just keep him at that point. Unless there's some other sort of trade that comes along really late in the offseason for an upgrade using one of these wingers or something. But that's not something i'd count on. Especially since teams tend to end up with more concerns about their defensive depth as camp approaches, than they worry about not having enough small wingers. That's usually the point where teams get really excited about their own internal options at forward.

I think that's where the cap-clearing is going to have to be somehow focused on that glut of wingers. They're guys that could be moved earlier in the summer. So you can actually go out and try to use that cap space to improve the team.

Habs won’t be taking another pint sized smurf. Dvorak is needed. Garland is not.

Yeah. From a Canucks POV, i'd swap Garland for Dvorak. Garland is probably the better offensive player, but Dvorak would fill a much more important need at #3C. As opposed to Garland, who is one of too many smaller wingers the Canucks have assembled. Same reason i don't see the Habs having any interest in that, with all of their own glut of wingers, a lot of whom aren't very big or physical.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Two players they shouldn’t be trading. Beauvillier was really good for them and Garland changes tempo, while contributing.

Seriously, what would they get? A Ben Chiarot tops? Actually a player who could be traded this off-season. A Brodie maybe for Beauvillier?

In reality though, I don’t know if they’d get any dman any better than Chiarot for either.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
M
ummm...started off okay but completely lost by the end. You talk about player evaluation and then propose Manson and a 2nd for a rookie 40 goal scorer signed for two more years at 5.5. Hypocritical much?
Manson was playing injured. That’s not ending bad. It’s playing injured. He shouldn’t have been playing injured but he tried. Hard to evaluate him harshly when his performance was deeply impacted by a lower body injury that caused him to miss the majority of the season and some playoff games.

He’s valuable to the Avs. Guys like Garland are bad contracts to Vancouver. Contacts your GM would love to dump. Vancouver would gladly accept “future considerations”for several of their players. The Avs would not for Manson. They’d like him on the ice.

So It’s not a possible trade. Avs trade an important player to them for a bad contract on a player they and Vancouver don’t need and certainly don’t want at his AAV.

If the Avs had a bad contract like the ones on Boeser, OEL, Myers or Garland, we could discuss swapping bad contracts in a change of scenery. Avs don’t have these types of contracts on their books they’d love to dump. Our bad contract was Erik Johnson, but it expired and he’s a UFA now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad