Games you are currently playing - Part 7

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Playing Silent Hill 2 having never played the original.

I'm enjoying it a lot so far though the game is insanely stuttery. Like every few feet you walk there is a big stutter. There are also some visual bugs which can be fixed by installing DLSS Ray Reconstruction though a mod. Aside from those issues I'm loving the game. Much more up my alley than Alan Wake 2 was.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Playing Silent Hill 2 having never played the original.

I'm enjoying it a lot so far though the game is insanely stuttery. Like every few feet you walk there is a big stutter. There are also some visual bugs which can be fixed by installing DLSS Ray Reconstruction though a mod. Aside from those issues I'm loving the game. Much more up my alley than Alan Wake 2 was.
Huge reason to not buy games on release, wait for them to go on sale months later with more content, patched, and cheaper.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Diablo 4 - Vessel of Hatred DLC - While the content is absolutely stellar, the XP gains in the DLC are astronomically slow (the XP gains in the Helltide is lightning quick).

Destiny 2 - Revenant - I’m having fun with it l. The content is really quick as there’s a new Dungeon launching at 10 AM PST tomorrow.

NHL 25 - I want to say I’m having fun but the game is just so poorly constructed in the game play that it’s maddening.

Silent Hill 2 Remake - Good god this is an amazing game. Bloober (who made the Medium) did a stellar job with the environment, the setting, and the gameplay. The near perfect scores from the games media are 100% accurate.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Huge reason to not buy games on release, wait for them to go on sale months later with more content, patched, and cheaper.
I doubt it will be patched, its a problem with Unreal Engine that Epic has to fix. I loaded up Hogwarts Legacy a week ago and had the same stutters.

Even if Epic does fix it, the chances of Bloober going back and upgrading the game to a newer version of Unreal are pretty much zero.

Last edited:

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I doubt it will be patched, its a problem with Unreal Engine that Epic has to fix. I loaded up Hogwarts Legacy a week ago and had the same stutters.

Even if Epic does fix it, the chances of Bloober going back and upgrading the game to a newer version of Unreal are pretty much zero.
That's a shame if true, I don't know anything about game development. Hopefully they figure something out.

Well I mentioned I started Batman Arkham Knight, gave up after 3 hours, here's my Steam review:

I really loved Arkham Asylum. I thought Arkham City was a bit of a step back from the focused level design to an open world but it was still a good game. Arkham Knight is just meh in my opinion.

The best part of the previous Batman Arkham games in my opinion was the stealth areas where you would take down a whole group in a focused room using fear to separate them and strike at opportune moments. I played about 3 hours and only had 4 of those sections. Each one was very small and uninspired despite being in an open world. None of them were particularly challenging or thought provoking. In fact, combat in general is very minimal. Taking down thugs is the best part of being Batman and there's not many sections where you actually do it.

What we do have is a lot of driving in the Batmobile. Now I'm going to preface this by saying I do enjoy driving games. I wish there were more arcade racers out there, it's sadly a dying genre. However, this is just not it. The controls are unorthodox which is fine, I could learn to adjust. Driving through the city feels like a bit of a bore, the driving physics aren't great. They're serviceable for what it they are and I could have forgiven it given the fact that this isn't meant to be a driving game. The main problem is the battle mode...

Pretty much every time you need to drive anywhere, you enter a battle with tanks. It is legitimately the most uninspired game play I've seen in years. There's absolutely 0 challenge. The reload between shots just feels incredibly tedious. Every time I've entered a battle vs tanks I don't get excited for the combat, I don't get nervous for the challenge, I just roll my eyes and think "please just let this be quick."

The combat and especially the stealth sections of the previous Batman Arkham games were where the game shined. So why did they remove so much of it for this awful Batmobile game play? I personally loved Arkham Asylum because of how focused the level design was. I thought making Arkham City open world took away from that, making the open world portions feel more like a chore padding time to get between missions. What does Arkham Knight do? Make you spend even more time doing tedious, repetitive stuff between the actual missions.

In fact, there are several sections where the game focuses too much on cinematics and not enough on game play. One early mission has you going into a chemical plant where you have to slowly remove canisters and move them to place inside another contraption on the other side of the room. Move to fast and game over. You have to move incredibly slowly for the sake of having a cinematic. There's absolutely 0 game play there other than holding your analog stick 25% of the way and watching everything move in slow motion. It doesn't evoke a feeling of tension, which is what I assume the devs aimed for, it just makes me bored and angry if my finger slips.

Technically, the game runs great, which is a bit surprising considering how bad of a port this was at launch. The combat is still solid, the stealth sections work but the level design took a step back. Then they made the open world sections even worse. In my opinion, this is a step back in every way from the other Batman Arkham games.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Been replaying Kingdom Come: Deliverance since I got hyped from the KCD2 trailer a month ago or whatever. I just love this game. Things are janky for sure, but it scratches all of my game itches. Solid story. Engaging combat (IMO). A real sense of progress / growth. Looting for a reason. Skill paths that I can switch between. I am even one of those people that likes to have to manage equipment condition (loved it in FO:NV too, gives me a reason to switch things up and plan).

This time around I knew what I was getting into so I 'power leveled' I guess. Spent the time in the prologue getting Herbalism to level 10 for that strength perk, sold the ingredients for some cash. After that, 'rushed' to Rattay and kept training with Bernard until I had master strike & some decent levels in combat skills before moving the story along to Neuhof. Grinded alchamy a bit making Marigold Concoctions. That kind of thing.

Now I'm in the middle of 'All that Glisters' but have also completed the Hans & Band of Bastard DLCs, nearly finished Pribyslavitz, and have focused on side quests. While I definitely over did the power levels, I've had a ton of fun taking it much slower, focusing on the side quests, hunting, etc. It's a little cheesy but I am enjoying rich & powerful Henry a bit more than I did my prior version. Honestly I might have finished my first play through with lower skills than I have right now, and without realizing how useful potions are. For example, I've been close twice but I haven't died in an ambush yet, and that was such a reoccurring problem for me last time I spent half my groschen on Savior's Schnapps...

TL:DR - gem of a game if you can overlook some of the rough edges. Really looking forward to the next one.

Reactions: Jovavic and Osprey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad