Post-Game Talk: Game VI Pens loss to Stars: Our Stars can’t dance

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I understand why the Pens stayed with Sully in 2019 and 2020.... I get it. 2 time winning cup coach deserves the benefit of the doubt. There is so much evidence pointing to different players - same play. That is not a player issue. Sure.. every team has a few gaps/holes in player usage. Every team has it.

But this team has had the same f***ing problem every f***ing year. Get rid of the coach. You changed players. You changed GMs. You changed everything but one thing. There is no more hiding it. Eat the cost and move forward.

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
All these younger players we had that are producing in others systems and some here do not think it is the coaching system that is the issue?

Reactions: dueling mullets

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
This team is so dead in the water and anyone who is surprised has not been paying any attention. The idea that anything is going to change under Sullivan is insane. Dude has completely outworn his shelf life here and desperately needs canned but I don't expect it. Personally I am checking out. This team is not worth watching right now.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
At what point the bottom six is a Sully/coaching issue and not a players issue? How many f***ing bottom six players you plug around with the same result? How many f***ing changes you bring around before you finally shoot all the coaching stuff into the Sun?
Are you suggesting that KAP wasn't the problem last year??? HOW DARE YOU

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The rebuild is going to take a loooooong time as there will basically be no assests to jump start it...
If you Sign THEN trade Jake you can. Start selling off assets, something I suggested before the 2022 deadline. But now the writing is even more apparent. We have players we can sell off, and the ones with NMC's will have to make a very tough decision.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Uh like wasnt this quote from three years ago? Hasn’t our bad puck management been a constant, consistent issue for the last several seasons? And have we thought to play a way that makes decision making easier for the players then? No….

"we need to be harder to play against" ..... says man who is 98.7324% responsible for building this soft as a marshmallow roster. Sorry meathead, that roster will never be "hard to play against".

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
And it’s less miserable watching the team’s play now? theyre Already boring to watch..
Watching even the first half of the game we were definitely the better team. And truthfully, we probably deserved to have a much bigger lead. But then our play dipped and the Stars started tipping the scales. We can't finish and our PP is underwhelming to say the least. Pretty demoralizing after a great 1st period.

Reactions: Andy99

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Watching even the first half of the game we were definitely the better team. And truthfully, we probably deserved to have a much bigger lead. But then our play dipped and the Stars started tipping the scales. We can't finish and our PP is underwhelming to say the least. Pretty demoralizing after a great 1st period.
Youth speed will drag down 40 year old marios / sids / wayne's after a period or two. You can't compete with youth when you are that old. Not under the sullied system of senility either.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Youth speed will drag down 40 year old marios / sids / wayne's after a period or two. You can't compete with youth when you are that old. Not under the sullied system of senility either.
I 100% agree with your premise but in this particular game their goalie stole it for them. We should have been up 3-0 at a minimum. When they tied it the momentum slowly but surely shifted. We just couldn't get separation on the scoreboard and THAT became our undoing.

6 games in and my enthusiasm after getting EK is gone, because the coaches are dumbasses. Entirely new perspectives from the outside are needed immediately.
Really should consider trading Jake prior to the trade deadline. Unless he disappears we can get some nice assets for him.

Reactions: LOGiK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
People are talking about youth as if 2 of the Stars' most productive players aren't Joe Pavelski and Jamie Benn.

The Stars didn't run the Pens out of the rink, the Pens were pathetic when it comes to converting possession and shots in to goals, as they normally are.
Just say me.
Do you play sports? Were you ever a near 40 year old star, playing at probably half of what 18 year old sid could do? That goes for the rest of them. Affects decisions, physicality, every part of your game... You can't keep up. If you insulate that age, that is the trick.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The problem isn't the system, it's the fact that they think harder to play against equals having no depth and riding a fully defensive bottom 6 is the answer. Yeah, cap league, be better at addressing depth and roles. No need for 2 4th lines. Age shouldn't matter if you address the position well enough. They had plenty of cap to start off. Make better decisions.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The problem isn't the system, it's the fact that they think harder to play against equals having no depth and riding a fully defensive bottom 6 is the answer. Yeah, cap league, be better at addressing depth and roles. No need for 2 4th lines. Age shouldn't matter if you address the position well enough. They had plenty of cap to start off. Make better decisions.

somewhat…there’s more going on than that because the issues are the same issues they’ve had for the last couple seasons…but here’s Wilson on a couple issues from last night’s game along the lines of what you’re saying…

“The fourth line flat out stinks. They have a CF% of 35.87 and an xGF% of 41.59. Expectations were low and they’ve managed to underperform them to this point. Jeff Carter was a known commodity heading into the season. We knew he was cooked and ate up valuable cap space. I’ll believe he’ll be scratched when I see it. Noel Acciari? Why exactly did he get a 2M contract for multiple years? The Penguins have a CF% of 55.32 and an xGF% of 55.43 when these players are not on the ice. It’s time to see what Alex Nylander can do. Put him on the second or third line and bump somebody off the fourth line. Something has to give. The current setup is not working at all.

Drew O’Connor’s preseason is way back in the rear view mirror. He’s a player who was put in a position to give the team more and so far he has not passed the test. He has one assist so far this year and it isn’t close to being good enough. To be fair, if you need O’Connor to produce like a third liner giving him an actual third line center should be a realistic expectation. Problem is the Penguins committed to Lars Eller who is looking more like a fourth line center than being able to produce as a third line center. Their xGF% percentages are solid, but you need offensive production at some point. The team is drowning without it.”

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Same old same old around here I see. Having a couple of aging stars surrounded by unskilled, uninspired marshmallows isn't a key to success? Who woulda thunk it? Not Mike Sullivan, that's for sure.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I'm just happy the penguins got all of that _contention_ stuff out of the way early and allowed us to skip the optimism crap and get straight to the doom and gloom :wg:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad