GDT: GAME ONE, MIDDAY EDITION: St. Louis Blues (0-0-0) at YOUR SEATTLE KRAKEN (0-0-0), 1:30pm PDT, 9:30pm Morocco Time

WHO DO WE LIKE TODAY?

• Your hometown Seattle Kraken

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • The despicable St. Louis Blues

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Jaden Schwartz and Vince Dunn for a big game against the Blues

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Your friendly moderating staff

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Hockey during the workday

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Other (please list)

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Can’t wait!

I’ve heard some folks talking about the lines on podcasts and on news sites. Sounds like:

McCann-Beniers-Eberle
Schwartz-Stephenson-Burakovsky
Tolvanen-Wright-Bjorkstrand
Kartye-Gourde-Tanev or Gourde-Kartye-Tanev

Dunn-Larsson
Oleksiak-Montour
Evans-Borgen
Mahura

Also @Bear of Bad News are you in Morocco?

• Love
Reactions: Bear of Bad News

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'll probably get to see a couple of periods before my little grandson comes home from day care. Not ideal, but some hockey is better than no hockey.

Later: Just remembered I'm not in Seattle lol. It starts at 4:30 PM in Toronto. Might have to catch it on replay.

Last edited:

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
Per Tod Lieweke on KJR this morning, the Kraken will have an honest-to-God captain in time for today's game.

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
WHO WILL THE CAPTAIN BE?

1728404521013.png

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I love you guys already but I had to vote for my despicable St Louis Blues. I have half an hour left to spontaneously drive up there and go to the game but it's not going to happen. (I did vote for Schwartz and Dunn to have a big game against the Blues I love those guys forever.)

• Haha
Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Not sure I’ll be able to catch this one or not, due to the timing. I remember in my younger days taking time off (or skipping classes) to watch all the games on baseball opening day or whatever like it was some holiday. Being an adult is overrated.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
on our side of things. since we are in somewhat direct competition for the last wild card spot already and the puck hasn't even dropped ...

our top line of Holloway Thomas Neighbours is the one we are happiest about. Neighbours is a born captain and is the new core's leader, he drags the team to the front of the net, this is a player whose jersey I will probably get next. Thomas emerged as a true 1C last year but had a ridiculous defensive skew to his deployment compared to other scoring centers, the hope is that Faksa can draw some of his harder defensive minutes and free him up. Holloway we last saw in the Final playing well, and he is motivated.

The next couple lines are grim. Texier is a newbie (Saad is on paternity leave), Buchnevich is not a natural center though they have a good record with him there, and Kyrou is one of my least favorite Blues in 50 years. Kapanen on the third line is an indication we have no depth. Schenn looked washed last year and we are all awaiting that moment, and Joseph is another newcomer from Ottawa. So unenthused about these two lines.

4th line is ok - Toropchenko Faksa Walker but just ok

Leddy Parayko is a contender's second pair and it's our top pair. Broberg Faulk and Suter Kessel is an opportunity for mentoring of Broberg and Kessel who we hope are going to be real pieces going forward.

Binnington - I love him and one day we are going to be friends. He did the one thing. He simply did it. I always will owe him. He is 5 wins from the all time franchise wins record, he knows it, and he wants it, and he starts out strong in regular seasons typically the first month+. Hofer is also a legit potential NHL starter as a backup.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
1.30 is so dumb. Isn't the league trying to get viewers? Heck even 4.30 would work better
It's the warm up game for them with the banner raising in Florida being their Eastern time zone main event.

Being retired, I love it. Hockey every afternoon would be fine with me :)

Reactions: Fuhrious

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
1.30 is so dumb. Isn't the league trying to get viewers? Heck even 4.30 would work better

I really doubt it's the league. I'd put BIG money on it being ESPN. Look what they did to college football. They have a lot more power than the leagues.

Yeah but its a tuesday. There's no NFL/College football today to compete against and NBA hasn't started yet.

For ESPN it is about the margin between hockey viewership and whatever else they would be showing. First NHL game of the year can beat out golf re-runs or whatever else they show on ESPN on Tuesday afternoons these days (I wouldn't know). For the league I'm sure they're pleased to get a triple header on ESPN to start the year. This game is in addition to the prime-time game later, it's not instead of it.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Yeah...3 games today, none of them exactly barn burners as far as rivalries go. Panthers obviously land the "prime time" slot to raise the banner, not entirely sure why the Kraken had to flex to the crappy afternoon slot instead of the incredible display of hockey that is going to be the Utah - Chicago matchup at 10EST?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad