OT: 2024 NFL/NCAA/HS Football Thread

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Totally agree. Surprised they had the stones to pull the trigger. Hackett staying is a joke.

We know why he's still here, unfortunately.

I feel for Saleh because he seems like an awesome guy. But it's clear this year that something has really been lost on his part. The discipline issues are still there, as they always have been, and they've come out far flatter in almost every game this season compared to others. I think that the Quincy Williams comment about getting tired of hearing the same shit is a direct reflection of this. And he's one of the only ones who's been consistent in this first part of the season.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
We know why he's still here, unfortunately.

I feel for Saleh because he seems like an awesome guy. But it's clear this year that something has really been lost on his part. The discipline issues are still there, as they always have been, and they've come out far flatter in almost every game this season compared to others. I think that the Quincy Williams comment about getting tired of hearing the same shit is a direct reflection of this. And he's one of the only ones who's been consistent in this first part of the season.
Yeah, I know. Still ridiculous. And it results in limited returns on this move. Sure, maybe you improve on Saleh’s bad game management and discipline issues, but the biggest issue is still the offense. And we have the same dolt running the show there.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I mean, the on-field product speaks for itself.
I don’t think Saleh is a good HC in terms of leading a room and ultimately that’s excuse they’ll fall back on. “He lost the room.” But I think he’s an elite defensive coordinator, and the Jets defense has been consistently great during his tenure. Saleh’s side of the ball isn’t the problem.

The problem has been the offense, and management gave Rodgers a blank check to do whatever he wanted with the offense. Rodgers picked the coordinator, he picked the receivers, he picks the schemes and concepts. Douglas and Johnson decided to get into bed with this guy knowing full well that he’s a selfish diva, the took their chips and went all-in anyway.

So if you really want to fix the problem and improve the team, who’s the one that should actually be fired? Probably the offensive coordinator.

Saying that they want to give Saleh-Rodgers a chance and then pulling the plug after only 5 full games just doesn’t make sense to me. Wasn’t Saleh-Rodgers the plan all along? That’s certainly how it was sold. The fact that Hackett is still around shows who is calling the shots in this organization.

This division sucks and makes no sense, I hate it so much. None of these teams know what they’re doing.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Sure getting rid of Saleh now will fix the Jets. That’s all they need is a new coach after week 5. Morons. Saleh may not be anything special as a coach but the Jets have significant ongoing structural problems. Vince Lombardi won’t turn the team around as presently constructed.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
The Jets firing Saleh is the same thing as the Devils firing Lindy, it was just simply time. They both did what they were brought in their respective sports and teams to do. Saleh fixed the defense, he got boned on the offense like most defensive coordinators coaches usually do. The only good one currently is Demeco Ryans and he's going to lose his OC at some point and Houston got lucky that the Panthers made the worst pick at 1 in the last 2 decades and probably since Russell. Hackett not being fired is a joke but it's whatever, the penalties and blatant and conistent unpreparedness at the start of games was a Saleh trope not a Hackett trope.

I don’t think Saleh is a good HC in terms of leading a room and ultimately that’s excuse they’ll fall back on. “He lost the room.” But I think he’s an elite defensive coordinator, and the Jets defense has been consistently great during his tenure. Saleh’s side of the ball isn’t the problem.

The problem has been the offense, and management gave Rodgers a blank check to do whatever he wanted with the offense. Rodgers picked the coordinator, he picked the receivers, he picks the schemes and concepts. Douglas and Johnson decided to get into bed with this guy knowing full well that he’s a selfish diva, the took their chips and went all-in anyway.

So if you really want to fix the problem and improve the team, who’s the one that should actually be fired? Probably the offensive coordinator.

Saying that they want to give Saleh-Rodgers a chance and then pulling the plug after only 5 full games just doesn’t make sense to me. Wasn’t Saleh-Rodgers the plan all along? That’s certainly how it was sold. The fact that Hackett is still around shows who is calling the shots in this organization.

This division sucks and makes no sense, I hate it so much. None of these teams know what they’re doing.

He should've been fired last year regardless of the result, they were games they lost that you should've been able to win without Rodgers playing. The first NE at home comes to mind and losing to f***ing Aidan O'Connell led Raiders come to mind. They win those and they're in the playoffs. You can't be a head coach in this league and just completely ignore what was happening on the offensive side of the ball. He wasn't proactive enough in that regard. His first mistake was pairing Zach Wilson with a young coordinator in Mike LaFleur in 2021. They should've gotten a vet OC + vet backup for Wilson as soon as the pick got clearer for them and they hired Saleh back in January 2021

Reactions: AfroThunder396

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
It wouldn't shock me if this (and acquiring Davante Adams) are the last straws that Douglas can pull to try and save his job as well. If they don't recover from this, he'll be out the door too.

It's a cruel world. Saleh seems like an awesome dude, but it's clear he's in over his head as the head coach. In that same vein though, how much can a guy squeeze out of an offense when his best QB has been 40 year old Aaron Rodgers for 6 games? Zach Wilson flamed out. Joe Flacco couldn't succeed here (yet somehow can at least be somewhat productive elsewhere at his age) and then you have Trevor Siemian and Tim Boyle. What a disaster of a group.

I'd argue Flacco doing well elsewhere is a bad stain on the coaching regime in general, from HC to OC. A lot of the defensive head coach hires we've seen with the Jets have the same way of winning games is running the ball 30 times a game like Rex wanted, Bowles wanted and I think Saleh probably preferred as well with the two headed RB room they have but sometimes that meddling causes issues and friction on the offensive side.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I'd argue Flacco doing well elsewhere is a bad stain on the coaching regime in general, from HC to OC. A lot of the defensive head coach hires we've seen with the Jets have the same way of winning games is running the ball 30 times a game like Rex wanted, Bowles wanted and I think Saleh probably preferred as well with the two headed RB room they have but sometimes that meddling causes issues and friction on the offensive side.

It absolutely is. We tried to argue at the time that trotting Flacco out there to begin with was pathetic because he looked like he was cooked. Clearly he wasn't fully cooked yet. :laugh:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Supposedly Saleh was considering firing Hackett before he got offed...so I guess we know one of the reasons why this was expedited lol

Reactions: My3Sons

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Supposedly Saleh was considering firing Hackett before he got offed...so I guess we know one of the reasons why this was expedited lol

I mean, the way Hughes wrote about it, he was planning to demote him and not fire him.

It's weird to say, but I actually respect Woody for having the balls to do this now when there is still so much at stake this season. The biggest flaws in Saleh's tenure were still there, so now he sees a guy who has had HC interviews the past two years in Ulbrich get an audition to be the HC here. Ulbrich won't stand idly by and hope that things correct themselves, he should see this as his chance to cement himself as the next HC. All while the division is still completely up for grabs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad