GDT: Game Four(Giev): COL vs. BOS (7:30PM MT)

New Nickname for Alex? (Thanks to henchman21 for providing!)

• 5G

Votes: 26 42.6%
  • 6eor9e

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • George the VII

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Geor8e

Votes: 9 14.8%

• Total voters

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Some revisionist history going on with Byram. He didn't take that next step after the SCF run or even stay on that same level. That's when he looked like a top pair/four defenseman and after that there was a lot of inconsistency. Toews extended last year and Byram's play had already dropped off prior to that and there was speculation he may have already been looking elsewhere.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Some revisionist history going on with Byram. He didn't take that next step after the SCF run or even stay on that same level. That's when he looked like a top pair/four defenseman and after that there was a lot of inconsistency. Toews extended last year and Byram's play had already dropped off prior to that and there was speculation he may have already been looking elsewhere.
Yeah, and watching the Buffalo game last night he's still making the same mistakes, looks to me like he's the same player (IMO though Dahlin and even Samuelsson had far more pronounced f***ups).

Reactions: Avs_19

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Byram is a guy that has a lot of tools and tools at the level where he could be a good #2D. The big issues with his game are he isn't all that intelligent of a hockey player so he tends to make some pretty egregious mistakes and bad reads. Secondarily, his mindset and style are not realistic with his talent level. He plays a very junior game where he thinks he is the most talented and best player on the ice. He think he can do whatever he wants and plays in that manner. At times, that swag will allow him to make some big flash plays and show somethings that make you think 'what if he puts it all together.' But his talent level isn't to that point. Most nights, he's not even in the top 10 best players on the ice. So he can't get away with those things and it causes issues all over the ice.

I still believe that if a coach can get through to him and can get him to mold into a guy who is focused on defense first and taking less risks, his physical skill set is ideal for the modern NHL. He can skate well, log a lot of minutes, can play physical, can matchup all over the ice, while still having good puck skills and talent.... he could be a high end defensive first guy if his mind and mindset came around. As he sits now, he's a flashy middle pairing defender that you will always want more out of.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Or we could have kept Toews and Byram, gotten rid of midget Girard and another piece. It’s not like Mittlejost has been a game breaker for us
As usual you just keep spewing bullshit that isn't remotely true. Mittelstadt has been fine. Not great, but fine. He hasn't exactly been given the greatest linemates due to the fact that the Avs have no depth at wing whatsoever but since you don't appear to watch the games you probably didn't pick up on that.

Hayton would.have been cheaper
Sure. Hayton. The guy who topped out at 43 points two years ago and potted TEN last season. Yep, I agree, he'd come cheaper.

Reactions: nightonthesun

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Kylington should be our 8th d-man behind De Haan, Malinski and Ludvig. My goodness has he been terrible. Nate Guenin/last year of Frankie Goes to Hollywood Beauchemin levels of bad. I feel like trading Brannstrom could have been a mistake.

Also, his partner Makar just looks sad and lost out there without Toews.

Reactions: nightonthesun

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Unpopular take: I thought Kylington looked worlds better once he was taken off the top pairing. Sammy also looked better when he was put there.

Now, mind you, I don't think he was GOOD, just started skating a lot more, played not-pillow soft, and didn't act like he was afraid of the puck anymore.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
You know we're sucking when we're tied of complaining about Costanza so we spend 3 pages thinking about what if Byram could have played like he did in the SCF for 6 games!

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
As usual you just keep spewing bullshit that isn't remotely true. Mittelstadt has been fine. Not great, but fine. He hasn't exactly been given the greatest linemates due to the fact that the Avs have no depth at wing whatsoever but since you don't appear to watch the games you probably didn't pick up on that.

Sure. Hayton. The guy who topped out at 43 points two years ago and potted TEN last season. Yep, I agree, he'd come cheaper.
Yep you've got to get ahead of things.

Hayton has 6 points in 5 games and is 60% in faceoffs
I do think he is better than Mitts bit I don't think he was on the trade block regardless

AvStock

Mar 15, 2022

You are so angry over an opinion my man.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Or we could have kept Toews and Byram, gotten rid of midget Girard and another piece. It’s not like Mittlejost has been a game breaker for us
What more do we expect from Mittlestadt? He's been exactly what we needed at 2C. He had a rough ending to the year after the trade, but he was learning a totally new system. Then we get to the playoffs and he was one of the best defensive C's in the entire playoffs and he posted 9pts in 11 games. And now this season with less than ideal linemates he's scored 3 goals in 4 games... Dudes been a more than ideal 2C since he's been here.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
What more do we expect from Mittlestadt? He's been exactly what we needed at 2C. He had a rough ending to the year after the trade, but he was learning a totally new system. Then we get to the playoffs and he was one of the best defensive C's in the entire playoffs and he posted 9pts in 11 games. And now this season with less than ideal linemates he's scored 3 goals in 4 games... Dudes been a more than ideal 2C since he's been here.
Yea...I don't get not liking Mitts. He wins the majority of board battles he's involved in, he's our best defensive forward right now, and he's asked to play with less than ideal linemates regularly. Despite that, he's still regularly creating chances.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Yea...I don't get not liking Mitts. He wins the majority of board battles he's involved in, he's our best defensive forward right now, and he's asked to play with less than ideal linemates regularly. Despite that, he's still regularly creating chances.
bUt bO wAs gOiNg tO bE oUr nExT cApTaIn bEcAuSe hE jUsT wAs oKaY?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I never thought Mittelstadt would be our scapegoat I think he's a fine #2C. It's hard to ask more of him when he has to play with two damn rookies or players with near 0 offensive skills.
He's only the scapegoat of like 2 people lol.

He's been more than fine. One of the few bright spots thus far.

Guy needs to learn how to win a god damn faceoff, though.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I don't understand what everyone is up in arms about here. We've still got plenty of time to come back and win this one. Bednar's in the room getting his boys ready to come out ready to battle for the 4th period.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yeah, I might need to take a break from this place. A ton of revisionist history going on and "I told you so" hindsight attitudes lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad