GDT: Game 80 | Pittsburgh Penguins vs Washington Capitals | 7:30PM | Healing Vibes Phor Phil

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Just woke up from my nap lol. Saw Caps have 13 shots. Are we keeping them out wide mostly?

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Grubauer is legit. Out of contract this summer?

Not much space. Trade Holtby or Grubauer?

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Grubauer is leaving up some very juicy rebounds. We have just been unfortunate to not be in position for any of them.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
It's frustrating to watch Phil, but as long as he shows up in the playoffs I don't care.

I'm more frustrated with the way we've allowed teams to do whatever the f*** they want in the neutral and our defensive zone for the past two years. Abysmal play without the puck. Now, with $7.25M/yr Letang!

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Pretty even game in terms of tempo, however as other noted, they totally boxed us out, other than Sid’s breakout nothing in close areas, nothing

Reactions: KIRK

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Its weird how similar the Pens and Lightning are right now. Goaltending..exact same problems with their 5 on 5 play. With the amount of chances let up, etc.

Fans keep mentioning that " switch" or lack of..come playoff time too.

And both teams still have something to play for. Yet the same issues keep happening.

Still think its more about the Pens not wanting to get injured/resting up...knowing how taxing a playoff run is. And trying to win on talent alone.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Its weird how similar the Pens and Lightning are right now. Goaltending..exact same problems with their 5 on 5 play. With the amount of chances let up, etc.

Fans keep mentioning that " switch" or lack of..come playoff time too.

And both teams still have something to play for. Yet the same issues keep happening.

Still think its more about the Pens not wanting to get injured...knowing how taxing a playoff run is. And trying to win on talent alone.

Honestly, this defense isn't going to magically be better. When we're talking about 'switch', what really is meant is this:

1. Murray goes into a zone mentally like the last two playoffs.
2. Sid and Geno do anything and everything they can to elevate . . . themselves and the team.
3. Phil flips a magic switch.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Pretty even game in terms of tempo, however as other noted, they totally boxed us out, other than Sid’s breakout nothing in close areas, nothing

We haven’t used the speed we supposedly have to get by them a lot and break down their D structure...seems little like we’re waiting a lot, maybe slow line changes?

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I just don't think Kessel is built that way. I do not think he cares about an "iron man" streak. I think he's just in a big funk and partially fighting through some minor stuff.

I would say that too, but seeing him take passes, skate with the puck, go after the puck, this guy is hurt/ing.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I just don't think Kessel is built that way. I do not think he cares about an "iron man" streak. I think he's just in a big funk and partially fighting through some minor stuff.

Then having him with Malkin, who's been gravitating in the direction of a funk for about 3 weeks, was doubly stupid.

Reactions: Andy99

Hockey Freak 7

Kris Letang to another team. GOAT CROSBY 4 HART
Apr 1, 2018
It’s great that Penguins clinched playoffs and all. Striving for 3 peat.
Penguins don’t seem Playoffs ready with defense breakdowns , no 5 man unit on the ice , constant hemmed up in their zone, breakaways and turnovers.
Weak D . Sloppy.
No urgency or consistency.
Coaching staff is the problem too.
They have not fix nor tighten up D at all.
It has been like this all season.

Really no swagger only certain players. Where the hunger and fierce emotions to beat teams?!?!

Bad puck management(handle puck like stink grenade ) forwards and defenseman are not supporting one another. Letang is brutal . Hunwick is brutal . Oh Sheary is...
Big Rig is lost with Hunwick.

It’s concerning to know only about 4-5 players will be ready for the playoffs.
I’m worried.

Only positive is Crosby-Guentzel - Rust and Hornqvist in this game.

My opinion and what I have observed

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Honestly, this defense isn't going to magically be better. When we're talking about 'switch', what really is meant is this:

2. Sid and Geno do anything and everything they can to elevate . . . themselves and the team.

Also, forwards start blocking every single shot possible.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Penguins don’t seem Playoffs ready with defense breakdowns , no 5 man unit on the ice , constant hemmed up in their zone, breakaways and turnovers.
Weak D . Sloppy.

Really no swagger only certain players. Where the hunger and fierce emotions to beat teams.
Bad puck management(handle puck like stink grenade ) forwards and defenseman are not supporting one another. Letang is brutal . Hunwick is brutal . Oh Sheary is...

It’s concerning to know only about 4-5 players will be ready the playoffs.
I’m worried.

Sheary has been creating plenty of chances?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

I’d add, pressuring the puck, backchecking by forwards, trying to force more TOs....

Reactions: KIRK

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Weak D . Sloppy.
Coaching staff is the problem too.
They have not fix nor tighten up D at all.

Really no swagger only certain players. Where the hunger and fierce emotions to beat teams?!?!

It’s concerning to know only about 4-5 players will be ready for the playoffs.
I’m worried.

Its all uphill from here

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Weak D . Sloppy.

Really no swagger only certain players. Where the hunger and fierce emotions to beat teams.

It’s concerning to know only about 4-5 players will be ready the playoffs.
I’m worried.

Let's be honest about Oleksiask.

There's the Oleksiak who was partnered with Cole who made us think JR had stolen another castoff.

Then, there's the Oleksiask who has played with other Penguins defenseman and looked like the defenseman that Dallas cast off.

I'm not sure we have a defenseman who, as a partner, would allow Oleksiask to play to his strengths outside of Dumoulin.

BTW, I don't care what the numbers say . . . Maatta isn't worth it, and his speed is an albatross.

EDIT: I know Letang's issues seem to keep the spotlight off Schultz, but is it okay to note what a disappointment Schultz has been given that 5.5M per contract?

Reactions: domaug

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
Now THAT I agree with. Also, he's forced a few turnovers and lost them back when doubled, when the simple play is to put it down the wall.
Yup. Whole team not handling the puck real well.

But other than that and a few letang moments and hunwick letting oshie walk in unpressured it hasn't been a bad showing from the home team. Horny is life

Reactions: KIRK and PENSFAN234
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad