GDT: Game 8: Preds @ Avs | Nov. 1st, 2016 | 7pm MT | Let the Beatings Begin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I've never really understood the Landy/MacK combo that fans want. I think it works horribly to be honest. Landeskog is a very simple player, plays a north/south game and likes to put everything on net. We saw how well he worked late last season with Soderberg and Matthias.

MacKinnon needs to players who can relatively keep pace in speed and be the brains on the line for him. Stastny-esque players. It's why I think Rantanen and Grigorenko work, but Grigorenko needs to get his head out of his *** and play better/harder.

Landy is much, much more than a "simple player." A simple player is Andreas Martinsen. Landeskog has much more hockey IQ and creativity than your average two-way physical winger. He's not just a north-south guy. Conversely, MacKinnon also plays a meaner game than your average top-flight center, and it's not like the two don't mesh well. And Landy has plenty of speed to keep up with MacKinnon, plus he's good at creating space and filling in for MacKinnon's defensive deficiencies.

This is why I want to see Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen and it's just killing me that Bednar keeps avoiding this. The coach on the other side last night put his three best forwards back together, and it sure paid off. Just DO IT already, and let the chips fall where they may. A 2nd line with Duchene at C and Grigs/Colborne or even Sortaberg/Colborne would be just fine.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs aren't getting a lot out of Söderberg and when signed for $4.75M/year for another three seasons after this, they either need to try to find a way for him to work here quickly or consider moving him.

He's clearly just going through the motions as the third line center with no PP time. Probably not how Avs sold him on the team. He's showing low effort on defense. No offense to speak of. Playing soft hockey. If he drops to 30 points, he not only will not be claimed by Vegas but also will be untradeable.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Landy is much, much more than a "simple player." A simple player is Andreas Martinsen. Landeskog has much more hockey IQ and creativity than your average two-way physical winger. He's not just a north-south guy. Conversely, MacKinnon also plays a meaner game than your average top-flight center, and it's not like the two don't mesh well. And Landy has plenty of speed to keep up with MacKinnon, plus he's good at creating space and filling in for MacKinnon's defensive deficiencies.

This is why I want to see Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen and it's just killing me that Bednar keeps avoiding this. The coach on the other side last night put his three best forwards back together, and it sure paid off. Just DO IT already, and let the chips fall where they may. A 2nd line with Duchene at C and Grigs/Colborne or even Sortaberg/Colborne would be just fine.

Simple as in he keeps things simple. He drives wide, he puts the puck on net whenever he can, he goes to the net, plays a good cycle game, and he keeps the fancy stuff at a minimum. That doesn't make him a poor player, I love Landy for all he brings.

Also, this mean game that you speak of from MacKinnon, I haven't seen it. World Cup? Sure, it was evident. In an Avs uniform? Nonexistent.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
We're not bad on faceoffs overall but it gets really bad in the defensive zone. We're dead last in that category.

Duchene should be taking every important faceoff for us. Not only is he the best we've got but he's also one of the best in the NHL now. He can only be out there so much though.

Still some small sample sizes this early in the season but MacKinnon is at 40% in the defensive zone and 31% while shorthanded, Soderberg is 56% and 33%, and Comeau is 23% and 42%. Colborne shouldn't be allowed to take faceoffs period.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
We're not bad on faceoffs overall but it gets really bad in the defensive zone. We're dead last in that category.

Duchene should be taking every important faceoff for us. Not only is he the best we've got but he's also one of the best in the NHL now. He can only be out there so much though.

Still some small sample sizes this early in the season but MacKinnon is at 40% in the defensive zone and 31% while shorthanded, Soderberg is 56% and 33%, and Comeau is 23% and 42%. Colborne shouldn't be allowed to take faceoffs period.

Does Como do anything well besides killing penalties?

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA

I'd really like us to trade something for a bottom 6 center, it would give us more flexibility (like stacking the top 6 with soderberg and Grigs) and not have to have Colborne take draws

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'm not sure the Avs should make a move for a bottom 6 center. There really isn't a decent enough of an asset available to get that player and Compher really is the future there. It might take him until next season, but that is who should fill the role eventually. For now the Avs have 3 solid centers, they just have to find some combos that work.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The Avs have tried before to get a bottom six guy for faceoffs, it has never worked out. There was Brett McLean (who was actually a pretty good player for the Avs, but still outright lousy at the job he was brought in for) and Andre Nikolishin, who was good in that role but hurt for a good deal of that season. I'm not sure what the Avs need to do in that department because they've proven to be very good at draws for stretches and then something like last night happens where they can't win to save their lives. They just need their top centers to do all the things a center does well. They're capable of it, they now need to be reliable at it.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't think Landeskog and MacKinnon have worked well this far. Perhaps put Landeskog with Söderberg and have them do more heavy lifting and see if that gets them into the games more.

Bourque- MacKinnon - Rantanen
Grigorenko - Duchene - Iginla
Landeskog - Söderberg - Comeau
Martinsen - Mitchell - Colborne

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
According to basically everyone who has watched him over the past few years Mikko is much better on the wing. Just let the kid develop in the position he has been best at. Sure, we could chase the dream of him becoming Kopitar and take a chance that stunts his development. But the odds are a lot better for him at wing it appears.

Of course he looks better as a winger, it's the far easier position, but he also did a lot of what he did in the AHL at center. So it's not like he hasn't had a high level of success there already as well.

I'm sorry but this team needs to find that two way top center, and MacK isn't seeming like hes going to be a dominant offensive #1 star center, so we may want to hope like hell Mikko can turn into a Barkov/Kopitar type. He certainly has the intelligence, and tool set.

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I don't really see what aspect specific to playing centre MacKinnon is any good at.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I won't defend much of what Roy did, but Grigorenko doesn't look engaged at all out there, Patrick understood how to work with him.

Ruh roh, incoming Cobra rant in 3.....2.....1.....

:popcorn:

Seriously? lol

That is going to happen with young players, and especially with a guy like Grigorenko. I've never said he was going to be perfect all season, but that I think he can take another step forward this year.

I don't get angry every time someone points out Grigorenko's flaws, never have.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
Seriously? lol

That is going to happen with young players, and especially with a guy like Grigorenko. I've never said he was going to be perfect all season, but that I think he can take another step forward this year.

I don't get angry every time someone points out Grigorenko's flaws, never have.

Sorry, I added a :sarcasm: to my original post, I was just being a pain in the ass.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Sorry, I added a :sarcasm: to my original post, I was just being a pain in the ass.

It's fine, I'm ok with being the person who thinks Grigorenko has a higher ceiling than most people. So I should probably expect some razing about it when he isn't in top form.

I just think if it ever clicks for him, he has enough raw talent to be a solid top six forward, and he may not look as engaged as he should at times, but it's not like hes afraid to go to the net either.

No way I'd root for him if he was a pansy like Redmond.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
It's fine, I'm ok with being the person who thinks Grigorenko has a higher ceiling than most people. So I should probably expect some razing about it when he isn't in top form.

I just think if it ever clicks for him, he has enough raw talent to be a solid top six forward, and he may not look as engaged as he should at times, but it's not like hes afraid to go to the net either.

No way I'd root for him if he was a pansy like Redmond.

I'd actually love for him to pan out. He's a like-able guy with a good skill set. Been rooting for him the whole time, for sure.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
He's a good second/third line tweener every so often. He'll have some monster games eventually, it's just the waiting between them that sucks.

Lol what? Has Blake Comeau ever had anything resembling a monster game in his career? Waste of a signing and waste of a roster spot, and I've been saying this since before the ink was dry. If he's only going to be a liability, park his ass.

Avs aren't getting a lot out of Söderberg and when signed for $4.75M/year for another three seasons after this, they either need to try to find a way for him to work here quickly or consider moving him.

He's clearly just going through the motions as the third line center with no PP time. Probably not how Avs sold him on the team. He's showing low effort on defense. No offense to speak of. Playing soft hockey. If he drops to 30 points, he not only will not be claimed by Vegas but also will be untradeable.

This is very true, hadn't thought of it that way. I like these observations.

These are the healthy lines I would like to see.

Grigorenko - Duchene - MacKinnon
Landeskog - Soderberg - Rantanen
R.Bourque - Colborne - Iginla
McLeod - Mitchell - Comeau/Martinsen/really should be G.Bourque

Zadorov - Johnson
Wiercoch - Barrie
Beauchemin - Gelinas

Pickard
Varlamov

Time to start the transition in goal, Varlamov is starting to look like a very pricey David Aebischer. And for the love of all that is holy, please, seriously just end the MacKinnon at center thing while there's still time to make a productive winger out of him.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Of course he looks better as a winger, it's the far easier position, but he also did a lot of what he did in the AHL at center. So it's not like he hasn't had a high level of success there already as well.

I'm sorry but this team needs to find that two way top center, and MacK isn't seeming like hes going to be a dominant offensive #1 star center, so we may want to hope like hell Mikko can turn into a Barkov/Kopitar type. He certainly has the intelligence, and tool set.

I think that's a waste of time and resources. He shouldn't be playing a checking role, he should be on the top lines creating offense. Bednar could try something very unconventional, he just has to roll the dice here. His big mistake right now is in trying to put the best depth two-way players he has to form a makeshift checking line, except none of the guys he has on that third line are any good right now, and even at their best have some serious defensive flaws. This is what I'd like to see:

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Soderberg - Duchene - Colborne
Comeau - Grigorenko - Iginla
R. Bourque - Mitchell - Martinsen

Put that top line out there and use it as a checking unit as well. The opposition will be so busy trying to defend against it that they won't be, y'know, scoring. Give the softer matchups to the 2nd/3rd lines. I realize Comeau is about thisclose to being a healthy scratch, but IMO he's better right now that Rourque.

I also think Bednar needs to try and put Grigo at center for now to re-spark him, and put Soda at W to try and jump-start his offense. He's actually a pretty good shooter, so I think he'd do reasonably well, and as I've maintained, Duchene does better with wingers who can switch to center with him and vice-versa. Soda can be the sniper, Colborne the "power forward" who scoops up the rebounds.

Right now Bednar is kinda playing it by the book (though I laud him considerably for opting to use the youngsters in big roles, most new coaches would probably still be leaning on the vets too much) in terms of lineup right now, except this team is simply not conventionally built. I'd like to see him try this and see how it works.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Soderberg - Duchene - Colborne
Comeau - Grigorenko - Iginla
R. Bourque - Mitchell - Martinsen

Whyyyyyy

Put that top line out there and use it as a checking unit as well. The opposition will be so busy trying to defend against it that they won't be, y'know, scoring. Give the softer matchups to the 2nd/3rd lines. I realize Comeau is about thisclose to being a healthy scratch, but IMO he's better right now that Rourque.

Whyyyyyyy

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Landy-Soda-MacK ... We have seen this line work in the past.
Duchene-Grigs-Rants ... Have Duchene take draws then play wing.
Comeau-Colborne-Bourque ... Not ideal of Colby, but better than having Mitchell up.
Martisen-Mitchell-Iggy ... Mitchell can puck hog all day, while Iggy catches up and Martinsen dares D to move him out of he goalies sightline.

Barrie is getting accused of ghosting...but he leads the D in scoring (what he is paid for primarily), has not been mentioned too often as far as defensive gaffes, and is mid-pack for our D in most advanced stat categories. He could be better, but then all our D could (exempting Z, cause he is wow for a relative rook).

If you're putting Duchene on the left side at LW, I don't think you've been paying attention.

I don't know if it's 'clearly' the case but I can't help but kind of empathize with Soderberg. He played very well last year and put up over 50 points, gets selected for Sweden at the World Cup and now 5-6 games in and he gets his PP time taken from him by some crappy PTO garbage player who hasn't put up 50 points in 6-7 years and has PROVEN over time that he can't cut it anymore with 3 different organizations? Why? (soon to be 4)

Meanwhile back at the ranch, Iginla keeps getting completely unwarranted top-6 icetime and a ton of PP time, Comeau takes 2,3,4 stupid penalties per game without skipping a beat or having his special teams icetime cut in the slightest.

Bednar needs to make the right moves and reward the GOOD players on this team that are still CAPABLE of playing in a top-6/Power Play role before this thing goes south in a ****ing hurry because it will.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado

Have to disagree on his. He has been exactly as advertised and actually had the best year of his career with us last year.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Have to disagree on his. He has been exactly as advertised and actually had the best year of his career with us last year.

Last year he was great. But so far both him and Beauch look lost in Bednar's system IMO. I'm not sure either of them have the legs to play as aggressively as he has them doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad