GDT: Game 8: Preds @ Avs | Nov. 1st, 2016 | 7pm MT | Let the Beatings Begin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The team is better getting positive contributions from Soda and the third line wasn't getting abused as bad until the current formation.

I think more of the issue on the 3rd line is who is surrounding Soda than Soda himself. Comeau isn't working well at all right now, and Bourque is pretty damn limited. Both should be on the 4th line IMO. Colborne should be at least on the 3rd (I'd argue top 6 for Iggy, but 3rd is a start), and Marty has been better than Comeau and Bourque. Make that the 3rd line and I think it works much better.

Without Soda/MacK/Duchene as the #3C, I think teams eventually will exploit that weakness to the fullest degree. For a couple games here and there it isn't a big deal, but 10-15 at a time, teams will exploit it consistently.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Grigorenko - Duchene - Colborne
Comeau - Soderberg - Iginla
Bourque - Mitchell - Martinsens

Could to well, I think.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Well if today's practice is any indication, no huge changes. Soda still 3rd line.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'll say the unpopular thing... Mikko should be at center. All the skills are there and he loves the puck (and is so damn good with it). Put Duchene on his wing so he can have some insulation when thing go poorly and Duchene can handle some of the defensive duties. Some things will go wrong with him trying to adapt to the position on the fly, but I agree with management wanting him there.

So run:

Landy-MacK-Colborne
Grigo-Rants-Duchene
Marty-Soda-Iggy
Bourque-Mitchell-Comeau

Yeah put Mikko at center, but see if he can be MacK's brain.

Landy - Mikko - MacK
Greg - Duchy - Joe
Marty - Soda - Iggy
R. Borq - Malkin - Blake

It's kind of sad that MacK has continued to be brain dead in the O-zone. Maybe we can get lucky, and recover if Mikko makes it as a center.

I think I'll find it quite amusing if Mikko and Jost end up our top two centers for the future.

Last edited:

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO

Landy - Mikko - MacK
Greg - Duchy - Joe
Marty - Soda - Iggy
R. Borq - Malkin - Blake

It's kind of sad that MacK has continued to be brain dead in the O-zone. Maybe we can get lucky, and recover if Mikko makes it as a center.

I do think Mikko and MacK work well together, and like henchy said, Mikko is SO good with the puck, so I wouldn't mind seeing him and C with MacK on his wing and see if they can keep building some chemistry and Mikko can help MacK start potting some serious goals.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
It is made worse when we are so terrible at faceoffs... I think I saw somewhere that the Avs are winning defensive zone faceoffs at a ~43% rate.

Yup. Agreed with both u and TMV on this point. It drives me nuts when Varly covers the puck with little to no pressure especially since we cant win a draw almost anywhere on the ice let alone in the defensive zone.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I think more of the issue on the 3rd line is who is surrounding Soda than Soda himself. Comeau isn't working well at all right now, and Bourque is pretty damn limited. Both should be on the 4th line IMO. Colborne should be at least on the 3rd (I'd argue top 6 for Iggy, but 3rd is a start), and Marty has been better than Comeau and Bourque. Make that the 3rd line and I think it works much better.

Without Soda/MacK/Duchene as the #3C, I think teams eventually will exploit that weakness to the fullest degree. For a couple games here and there it isn't a big deal, but 10-15 at a time, teams will exploit it consistently.

While I like your thinking, I just really want Lando and Yeti together. Out of all our forwards those are the two I feel should be attached at the hip.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Landy - Mikko - MacK
Greg - Duchy - Joe
Marty - Soda - Iggy
R. Borq - Malkin - Blake

I think I'll find it quite amusing if Mikko and Jost end up our top two centers for the future.

:laugh: Yah that would be interesting. Duchene does look alot better since going back to C I must say. He gets way more touches now that hes back at C.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
My favorite part about people saying the Avs should trade core players this early in the season is that the division really doesn't look as good as many expected. The Avs have been average and are still in 4th with games in hand on everyone.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Really? I think it's Landy and MacK who should be together.

I've never really understood the Landy/MacK combo that fans want. I think it works horribly to be honest. Landeskog is a very simple player, plays a north/south game and likes to put everything on net. We saw how well he worked late last season with Soderberg and Matthias.

MacKinnon needs to players who can relatively keep pace in speed and be the brains on the line for him. Stastny-esque players. It's why I think Rantanen and Grigorenko work, but Grigorenko needs to get his head out of his *** and play better/harder.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
While I like your thinking, I just really want Lando and Yeti together. Out of all our forwards those are the two I feel should be attached at the hip.

Why not see if Mikko and Landy can develop some chemistry with Mikko at center? If that worked it would be a good top end shutdown line like Landy and ROR were.

I've never really understood the Landy/MacK combo that fans want. I think it works horribly to be honest. Landeskog is a very simple player, plays a north/south game and likes to put everything on net. We saw how well he worked late last season with Soderberg and Matthias.

MacKinnon needs to players who can relatively keep pace in speed and be the brains on the line for him. Stastny-esque players. It's why I think Rantanen and Grigorenko work, but Grigorenko needs to get his head out of his *** and play better/harder.

Yeah, I think people just remember how well Landy/Staz/MacK worked, but MacK was at RW, and I think it's pretty clear at this point that Stastny was the chemistry on that line. He bridged the gap between their styles of play.

That's probably also why MacK is so much better at wing, because he does not have to think as much lol.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
I don't understand the hate for Soderberg, he was one of our best and most consistent players last year. The problem is why did Bednar feels the need to stick him on the 4th line and take him off the power play. At least put him on the 3rd line and if it was up to me, he should experiment putting him on the 2nd and switching Mack to RW so he can get his confidence back.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't understand the hate for Soderberg, he was one of our best and most consistent players last year. The problem is why did Bednar feel the need to stick him on the 4th line and take him off the power play. At least put him on the 3rd line and if it was up to me, he should experiment putting him on the 2nd and switching Mack to RW so he can get his confidence back.

First, he's on the 3rd line, not the 4th. 4th line has been Martinsen-Mitchell-Colborne. And they've been a hell of a lot better than the trio of Bork-Sortaberg-Cometothepenaltyboxau.

Second, he was brought aboard to be this team's checking line center. He needs to play that role, so far he's proven he can generate offense but his defensive game, even when playing well last season, leaves a bit to be desired. Mind you, I get that he's got some not-so-good linemates right now, but his play looks downright lazy right now. Not acceptable.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
My favorite part about people saying the Avs should trade core players this early in the season is that the division really doesn't look as good as many expected. The Avs have been average and are still in 4th with games in hand on everyone.

This board has cancer. Has had it since 2014-2015 season. Dunno if it was just cured for 13-14 season, didn't lurk here before that.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Why not see if Mikko and Landy can develop some chemistry with Mikko at center? If that worked it would be a good top end shutdown line like Landy and ROR were.

Yeah, I think people just remember how well Landy/Staz/MacK worked, but MacK was at RW, and I think it's pretty clear at this point that Stastny was the chemistry on that line. He bridged the gap between their styles of play.

That's probably also why MacK is so much better at wing, because he does not have to think as much lol.

According to basically everyone who has watched him over the past few years Mikko is much better on the wing. Just let the kid develop in the position he has been best at. Sure, we could chase the dream of him becoming Kopitar and take a chance that stunts his development. But the odds are a lot better for him at wing it appears.

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
First, he's on the 3rd line, not the 4th. 4th line has been Martinsen-Mitchell-Colborne. And they've been a hell of a lot better than the trio of Bork-Sortaberg-Cometothepenaltyboxau.

Second, he was brought aboard to be this team's checking line center. He needs to play that role, so far he's proven he can generate offense but his defensive game, even when playing well last season, leaves a bit to be desired. Mind you, I get that he's got some not-so-good linemates right now, but his play looks downright lazy right now. Not acceptable.

He's been awful this year. Linemates or not, like you said, unacceptable. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him left unprotected for the expansion draft. And if that happens, he'll be taken. It's not a bad move since it will let the avs keep both Varly and Pickard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad