GDT: Game 8/82 Blues @ Leafs 6PM CST FDSNMW

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I agree with almost all of that, but this page in particular is a pretty good indicator of Kyrou having haters. I mean, he's off to a point per game start, he's forechecking, backchecking, he's got a more active stick, he's where he's supposed to be positionally, and we're still here with backhanded compliments of his play. It reminds me of the tribalist shit here like the Petro arguments. Can't just we say, "great game" and leave it at that? People are more concerned with waiting for a bad game from him so they can do a victory lap about being right.

Fair enough. There's the one troll who does nothing but trash Kyrou, but when you put him on ignore then I think the amount of Kyrou hate goes down dramatically. I'm critical of Kyrou at times but I certainly don't hate him. I just wanna see more consistency and him take his game to the next level. When he's on his game, he's definitely the most fun player on the Blues to watch.

Petro is still a jerk, btw :sarcasm:

Reactions: sfvega and Xerloris

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I'm sorry, but there was almost nothing about this play that I would credit Kyrou's work ethic on.
That’s just a wild take. You can post as many frame by frame breakdowns as you want trying to downplay or discredit Kyrou’s work ethic, but the fact of the matter is that Kyrou was fantastic pretty much that whole game.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
That’s just a wild take. You can post as many frame by frame breakdowns as you want trying to downplay or discredit Kyrou’s work ethic, but the fact of the matter is that Kyrou was fantastic pretty much that whole game.
Excellent argument. Really well thought out, and superb use of critical thinking skills :)

Next time just post the Lebowski meme, that's basically what you did here.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
Excellent argument. Really well thought out, and superb use of critical thinking skills :)

Next time just post the Lebowski meme, that's basically what you did here.
Why use more words when you can get a point across with less? Congrats on your verbosity?

Your post contained a lot of words and frame by frame break down only to come to the completely wrong conclusion. Not much more to say. Go look at any advanced or regular stat from that game - Kyrou shines. Re-watch the film - Kyrou shines. He was hustling all night, maybe his best game as a Blue stepping up huge with Thomas out. Your take on that play was completely out to lunch IMO.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Why use more words when you can get a point across with less? Congrats on your verbosity?

Your post contained a lot of words and frame by frame break down only to come to the completely wrong conclusion. Not much more to say. Go look at any advanced or regular stat from that game - Kyrou shines. Re-watch the film - Kyrou shines. He was hustling all night, maybe his best game as a Blue stepping up huge with Thomas out. Your take on that play was completely out to lunch IMO.
Again, just post the Lebowski meme bro. I literally went frame by frame and broke it down for you. You responded with Yea that's just your opinion man.

I took great pains to compliment Kyrou on his overall play. I have never been a Kyrou "Hater," infact I've defended him over the last 2-3 years vociferously. That play in particular, I don't think he did anything noteworthy. I would rank the importance of players in that sequence in this order:

1. McCabe - was brutal twice and really the only reason that was a goal
2. Buch - made two high IQ plays with hustle thrown in.
3. Matthews - for having poor fundamentals and then standing still and watching instead of digging for the puck once Buch was engaged with McCabe.
4. Texier - for sniping an amazing shot past Woll
5. Kyrou - for doing the job a regular NHLer should do and making a slick play with found money once Buch did the work.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
I took great pains to compliment Kyrou on his overall play.
See, you say this, but you’ve also spent a great deal of time and effort dismissing his play and work ethic. “…there was almost nothing about this play that I would credit Kyrou's work ethic on.” Lol what?

Frankly, it seems like you watched the game live, developed an opinion of Kyrou’s play, and are dealing with confirmation bias. It’s easy to miss details when watching a game live. Fast game, get focused on a part of the action and miss what’s going on in other areas - not a shot at you personally, happens to me and everyone else.

If you have the time, I would seriously suggest re-watching the game. From the opening faceoff, Kyrou came out flying and was very engaged on the forecheck. Given the circumstances with the team losing Thomas, the way Kyrou stepped up was eye opening IMO.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
See, you say this, but you’ve also spent a great deal of time and effort dismissing his play and work ethic. “…there was almost nothing about this play that I would credit Kyrou's work ethic on.” Lol what?

Frankly, it seems like you watched the game live, developed an opinion of Kyrou’s play, and are dealing with confirmation bias. It’s easy to miss details when watching a game live. Fast game, get focused on a part of the action and miss what’s going on in other areas - not a shot at you personally, happens to me and everyone else.

If you have the time, I would seriously suggest re-watching the game. From the opening faceoff, Kyrou came out flying and was very engaged on the forecheck. Given the circumstances with the team losing Thomas, the way Kyrou stepped up was eye opening IMO.
Ok let's go through a couple of things. Yes, I am dismissing him showing an "Incredible" work ethic on this individual play. People were using that sequence as Kyrou busting his tail to make a play happen. I disagree. There is nothing spectacular about his work on this play. He does, as I've said before, what I would expect any competent NHLer to do. Is that our bar for him? I don't think it should be, if you do, then that's fine, that's your opinion. I think he actually shows a bit of floating, again, on this individual play. He turns his back to the play, instead of engaging once Buch does. If you think that's "Excellent work ethic," then brother, you must have an awesome job that I'd love to apply for.

I have rewatched the game since I saw it live. All I can say is that there's a ton of stuff the cameras miss. I have never really bought into the floater narrative for Kyrou, until I watched him live. I was trying to point out that I can somewhat understand people's frustrations in a way that I didn't before, as again, the cameras miss a lot. I still DO NOT think he's a floater, I think if I were to try and explain it, it would be that he extends his shifts in an effort to sniff out extra offense, but that leaves him in positions, at times, where he's mostly out of gas and doesn't really apply pressure while forechecking. This is something most offensive players do. It's a form of cheating, and frankly, it's mostly fine. He's up the ice looking to make something happen, and once it doesn't, he sorta gives a meh effort towards the forecheck before heading to the bench. Again, this is totally fine.

Finally - the reason I'm pushing back on you so hard, is that I took the time and effort to go frame by frame to show what I think is pretty compelling evidence of Kyrou not really being that big a factor overall on that play. You have literally responded with no critical thinking or evidentiary proof to refute my claim. You've simply said, ur wrong, source - trust me bro. At least take the time to show me where you think I'm wrong :)

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Again, just post the Lebowski meme bro. I literally went frame by frame and broke it down for you. You responded with Yea that's just your opinion man.

I took great pains to compliment Kyrou on his overall play. I have never been a Kyrou "Hater," infact I've defended him over the last 2-3 years vociferously. That play in particular, I don't think he did anything noteworthy. I would rank the importance of players in that sequence in this order:

1. McCabe - was brutal twice and really the only reason that was a goal
2. Buch - made two high IQ plays with hustle thrown in.
3. Matthews - for having poor fundamentals and then standing still and watching instead of digging for the puck once Buch was engaged with McCabe.
4. Texier - for sniping an amazing shot past Woll
5. Kyrou - for doing the job a regular NHLer should do and making a slick play with found money once Buch did the work.

Kyrou literally did more work on that entire play than Buch did. Buch did a poke check, much wow much work. Get real dude.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad