Pre-Game Talk: Redemption against the Bruins

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
The Bruins looked very beatable against Dallas in the game I watched last night.

Of course a Bruins fan watching the Leafs last two games can say the exact same thing. After serving up those two stinkers the Leafs need to make like the Hulk and smash these washed up old men. A beating like what the US gave to Iraq is what I'm talking about.

If they lose this game heads had better start rolling.

Preferably the ones at the top. Starting with Shanahan. He had the chance to fix this mess and did not.

A loss tonight will make them a sub .500 team again.

Fans are booing and throwing jersey's on the ice. The fruition from years of pent up frustration watching while the greatest opportunity to win a cup in a lifetime is pissed away. The result of incompetent management, greedy players, and negligent ownership.

A big win tonight won't fix all that but, like a shot of strong whisky, it should help temporarily relieve the pain.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
The fruition from years of pent up frustration watching while the greatest opportunity to win a cup in a lifetime is pissed away.

I'd only argue the greatest opportunity came when Gilmour won the "C". That team had heart to spare and were one game away from the Final.

This team undoubtedly has more pure talent than likely any roster in Leafs history, but they are a long way away from being our best bet to win unless that talent accepts that to win they have to change their approach. So far, after 8+ years there's no indication they are willing to do that.

And while we all expect a big effort against the hated Bruins tonight they really need to show a that effort far more consistently.

Reactions: luiginb

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Keep in mind the team has lost two games in a row. Two. Not 7 or 8. Two. And this is the reaction from fans. The Leafs will win the next two games, and then the love/hate cycle will repeat. Meanwhile, a quick look at the standings reveals that the entire Atlantic division looks pretty mediocre at the moment.
looking at the division, this is the time to capatalize and bank points to take a lead. If we wanna win the division and play an easier matchup from the wildcards, we have to win games likes the last two.

This team just doesn’t have it in them to change its ways.

They’ll be a 100-110 point regular season team, then come game 7 loss we will look at Florida/Bostin/Rampa/1st in Atlantic take on a garbage team and say that should’ve been us.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I'd only argue the greatest opportunity came when Gilmour won the "C". That team had heart to spare and were one game away from the Final.

This team undoubtedly has more pure talent than likely any roster in Leafs history, but they are a long way away from being our best bet to win unless that talent accepts that to win they have to change their approach. So far, after 8+ years there's no indication they are willing to do that.

And while we all expect a big effort against the hated Bruins tonight they really need to show a that effort far more consistently.

The Bruins stink this year.

The only reason they aren't doing even worse is their goaltending. This is the chance for the Leafs to change the narrative. Not just on the season but on the entire rivalry.

This could be a big defining point in both team's histories and future.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
After being eliminated against these Bruins in the playoffs, the Leafs should come into this game with a hate on so red hot that would melt steel, instead they will come in apologetic, subservient and allow the B's do do as they please. Leafs only win if the other team has their B game. When are these guys going to decide they dont want to be the NHL's bitch anymore? Have some pride in that sweater, stop talking about how special it is to be a Leaf and start kicking arse.

Berube hockey hurts, it hurts the other team and it physically painful for his team. You have to pay a price to win, these are not the type of boys that are willing to pay that price.

This commercial is not aging well, why would they ever want a Leaf in a commercial about working hard and earning respect

Bipolar team - rinse wash repeat, what's on Apple +?

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
The Bruins stink this year.

The only reason they aren't doing even worse is their goaltending. This is the chance for the Leafs to change the narrative. Not just on the season but on the entire rivalry.

This could be a big defining point in both team's histories and future.
I think the leafs will squeak out an OT win and then go on a streak. I think Boston will continue to struggle well after this game until Neely panics and fires Monty.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Hopefully Leafs lose 7-1, to force some change. I want to hear Dreger say Leafs asked Marner, Reilly and Tavares to waive NMC and are actively shopping all 3. Next thing to do is bench Matthews like he should have been in the last 2 games. Matthews needs to be benched when his diva i dont give a frigg attitude shows up.
Can you explain how you get to the conclusion that everytime someone has a bad game it's because they don't care?

Matthews was awful indeed. It has nothing to do with a give a shit attitude.

Yankees lost last night and Judge struck out 3 times. He must not care.

Vikings loat to the Rams. Sam Darnold should be fired to the sun because he doesn't care enough

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Need a goalie to step up. CBJ should have been a safe option to bring Woll back but he stank. I wonder if they considered a one game rehab start with the Marlies or if they felt the optics were bad after signing the guy to a pretty fat deal for 36 games in the show. If Stolarz is solid they will have a good shot. At some point Matthews and Marner have to start producing at their normal rate. Hope thats tonight.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Surprisingly big game this early in the year. Will say alot about our team how they show up

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Wow Lil really is done with this team.

Nobody is off to a hot start in this division.
Sure but teams like panthers, boston, tampa have shown they can get/stayy super hot and win a division with tough competition

Leafs have never shown that and would need to play at a .708 pt % to likely win the division (assuming 110 pt wins division the rest of the way).

~.710 pt % for 72 games would be hell of a challenge.

Leafs at 4-6 would be 7th in the division pt % wise.

Reactions: DarkKnight

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Liljegren deal must be coming in the near future. But I’m excited to see Myers in the lineup. I liked his game in pre-season and think he can be a solid #6. Benoit - Myers could be a cheap entertaining third pair.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Cant get 0 pts next 2 games

If we are 4-6 to start the year I cant see us improving to a pace that gets us 1st in dvision/conference
Way too early for this kind of talk.

We could win the next 10 games straight and still miss the playoffs or lose the next 5 games and still win the division.

Given the Atlantic is less top heavy than in the past, we might see a lower point total take the division.

Hell, St. Louis started 7-9-3 before Berube came in and the team still managed 99pts and a Stanley cup despite less actual talent on the roster (especially during the regular season).

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Sure but teams like panthers, boston, tampa have shown they can get/stayy super hot and win a division with tough competition

Leafs have never shown that and would need to play at a .708 pt % to likely win the division (assuming 110 pt wins division the rest of the way).

~.710 pt % for 72 games would be hell of a challenge.

Leafs at 4-6 would be 7th in the division pt % wise.
Just saying we're all jumbled together right now, all you want out of this start don't don't hurt yourself early, we haven't.

Reactions: Cleetus

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Just saying we're all jumbled together right now, all you want out of this start don't don't hurt yourself early, we haven't.
True though the question is how many more poor games/losses cant we stomache before we are likeky out of division tops race?

If we are at ~500 pt% after 15 games then that may be too late

If we can get to a high .500s pt % at 15 game mark (8-6-1 or 9-6 record) then I can see us taking advantage of no teams in atlantic having a strong start and capitalize from games 16-50 to take a serious run at the winning the division

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I feel like we're not getting the full story about Liljegren or there's a few things in particular Berube really doesn't like from him.

How the hell does our GM sign him a year before he hits RFA to a multi-year contract and then he only gets in on 1 game of the first 9? He also only got 3 preseason games.

Seems premature and I don't see why Berube isn't giving him at least a couple more games, especially after back to back monstrosity of defensive games.

Heck, I'm a fan of Benoit but he hasn't been great either this year. Given they've been practicing together I thought maybe Myers - Liljegren would get a game and both Benoit and Timmins sit.

Edit: I guess it's still a possibility Benoit sits for Liljegren? They only announced that Timmins appears to be out and Myers in, but no word on Benoit/Liljegren. Especially weird since Myers wasn't practicing with Benoit yesterday.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
I feel like we're not getting the full story about Liljegren or there's a few things in particular Berube really doesn't like from him.

How the hell does our GM sign him a year before he hits RFA to a multi-year contract and then he only gets in on 1 game of the first 9? He also only got 3 preseason games.

Seems premature and I don't see why Berube isn't giving him at least a couple more games, especially after back to back monstrosity of defensive games.

Heck, I'm a fan of Benoit but he hasn't been great either this year. Given they've been practicing together I thought maybe Myers - Liljegren would get a game and both Benoit and Timmins sit.

Berube is old school, blue collar, meat and potatoes blablabla.

So far team looks like ass when Stolarz isn't playing .950 Sv%

Liljegren has some offensive skill and its pissing Berube off that he has more than 2 defenseman who can pass a puck and not handle it like a grenade. Defending to him is about being 6ft2+ and getting outpossesed and using your body once every 10 minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad