GDT: Game 79: Red Wings at penguins 7:00 pm et 4/11/24 (BSD, ESPN+)

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
This game is an A+ example of why Lalonde needs to be gone.

His bad decisions cost them the game and probably the playoffs.

With the faceoff in the Pens zone he 100% should have called a time out and put Larkin and Raymond right back out.

Instead we play Kane/Compher and immediately lose.

Lyon needed to be pulled after the third weak goal.

Just endless bad decisions.

Oh well, we weren't supposed to be here, nobody had us in the playoffs, if you'd have said we'd be fighting for a spot like this late in the year we'd have taken it, we may not be in a playoff chase next year because our division is so good, etc.

• Love
Reactions: WFIAA and dalem177

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
I said it at the deadline that not adding ANYTHING at the deadline was mind boggling.

Injuries happen, and when you have to play ZAR and Czarnik in a must win game then you haven’t done your job as a Gm

I said it at the deadline that not adding ANYTHING at the deadline was mind boggling.

Injuries happen, and when you have to play ZAR and Czarnik in a must win game then you haven’t done your job as a Gm
They shouldn't have added anyone at the deadline.

They should have sold every player that won't be here next year. There's plenty of those. There was never any legit threat of them winning a playoff run with this defense and goaltending. Wasting picks on a rental also made no sense. Selling was the only option that made sense.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Yikes.

I don't really understand why so many of you guys react to something like this with anger and hate.

And I don't understand why you keep watching. If we win you must have a 2 hour orgasm or something; otherwise this couldn't be worth the pain.

I just feel sad, not angry. I feel sad because I probably won't get to watch a round of playoffs, and sad on behalf of the guys that really gave their all and came up short.

Silver lining: We've found out that some players are really clutch valuable playoff performers; others show promise but need some polishing; others have some quit in them. This little almost-playoff run might be almost as valuable to the team as making the playoffs.
which guys gave their all?

I don't really understand how some people can not be critical of this collapse...the absolutely pathetic thing is that they still could get into the playoffs if they win the next 3, like thats how bad this playoff race has been

all they had to do is play .500 hockey down the stretch and they would be laughing right now, and none of these games would matter..instead, like you said yourself, we are sad that we are going on year 8 without a playoff game

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
Kane has 100% checked out and is already figuring out where he's signing on 7-1. I can't blame him. The team has effectively died around him.

It's pretty clear from Raymond's emergence since Kane got here that Yzerman got what he really wanted out of the deal.

Don't let the door knob hit you in the asshole on the way out, Patrick.

He did as much for our team as he did for the NYR last year. Gliding lazy albatross playing no defense with no contact against the other team's top 6.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Don't let the door knob hit you in the asshole on the way out, Patrick.

He did as much for our team as he did for the NYR last year. Gliding lazy albatross playing no defense with no contact against the other team's top 6.
He did that in Chicago too. He's never been known for physical play or defense. He gave this team spark offensively but contributed to their softness.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Who was the last legit starting goaltender this team had, that could win you games, especially come playoff time? Or in a season ending battle to get there, like these days? :skeptic:
Osgood, 2009.

Let's be real, this team has not had a legit winning #1 goalie for 15 years or a complete stable of NHL defensemen for 13 years. It's hilarious at this point, really. Yzerman is building a decent future but let's be honest about his roster management: If Edvinsson played most of the season instead of Holl/Maatta or Kasper played a few games instead of Czarnik/Reese the Wings are probably solidly in the playoffs.

Reactions: WFIAA

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
They shouldn't have added anyone at the deadline.

They should have sold every player that won't be here next year. There's plenty of those. There was never any legit threat of them winning a playoff run with this defense and goaltending. Wasting picks on a rental also made no sense. Selling was the only option that made sense.
Trading a 3rd of 4th or hell even 2nd round pick to get some actual help <<<<< gaining playoff experience and showing we’re a relevant team again.

We’re already too full with B/C level prospects, show the damn team you care.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023

I don't really understand how some people can not be critical of this collapse...the absolutely pathetic thing is that they still could get into the playoffs if they win the next 3, like thats how bad this playoff race has been

all they had to do is play .500 hockey down the stretch and they would be laughing right now, and none of these games would matter..instead, like you said yourself, we are sad that we are going on year 8 without a playoff game

There is being critical and there is "hey, go kill yourselves" like GMR said.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Trading a 3rd of 4th or hell even 2nd round pick to get some actual help <<<<< gaining playoff experience and showing we’re a relevant team again.

We’re already too full with B/C level prospects, show the damn team you care.
This is our playoff experience. The last few games are basically playoff games...........against mediocre teams like us.

A one week series against the Panthers wasn't going to teach Raymond/Seider much other than how to bend over and apply the lube.

Reactions: DamonDRW

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)

Larkin, Raymond, Debrincat, Seider, Chiarot, I could go on -- just about everyone but Kane (that's just not how he rolls) played this game like it might be their last. Not sure how you didn't see that. They were just out-lucked, out-reffed, and out-skilled, but not outworked.

Reactions: Ezekial

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
3 Yzerman draft picks are on this team after this long. The vets have failed time and time again you need to play the kids

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard or Bust.
May 11, 2023
Osgood, 2009.

Let's be real, this team has not had a legit winning #1 goalie for 15 years or a complete stable of NHL defensemen for 13 years. It's hilarious at this point, really. Yzerman is building a decent future but let's be honest about his roster management: If Edvinsson played most of the season instead of Holl/Maatta or Kasper played a few games instead of Czarnik/Reese the Wings are probably solidly in the playoffs.
Jimmy Howard was a lot better goalie than you have interest in giving him credit for. They f***ed up both him and Mrazek with the oopsy-doo they did with both following Howard's injury. Jimmy was a .920 goalie for three whole seasons with the early 2010s Wings.

Reactions: cvaicunas

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
This is our playoff experience. The last few games are basically playoff games...........against mediocre teams like us.

A one week series against the Panthers wasn't going to teach Raymond/Seider much other than how to bend over and apply the lube.
This is the truth. And they have shown up during the stretch it would be much worse if they looked overmatched

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

This is not the playoffs. Actually playing in the playoffs is playoff experience. I know it’s been a long time since we’ve actually seen it ourselves, but the post season is an entirely other level than this.

Reactions: DamonDRW

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
This is not the playoffs. Actually playing in the playoffs is playoff experience. I know it’s been a long time since we’ve actually seen it ourselves, but the post season is an entirely other level than this.
Yeah, in the actual playoffs you're playing even better teams than Washington/Pittsburgh and are getting forechecked consistently by three good lines.

This group would be lucky to win a single game against a top seed.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
Pens fan coming in peace. Wings outworked the Pens all night. Y'all just suffered from some brutal luck: some soft goals, a non-call on one Pens goal, 2 posts, a missed chance in OT...

Larkin & Raymond were beasts out there.

Reactions: Ulysses31

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
Next year we’ll be whining that we fell into a wildcard spot in the last few games of the season. It’s a step forward but it will sting obviously. Big picture. We’re alright

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
3 Yzerman draft picks are on this team after this long. The vets have failed time and time again you need to play the kids
Honestly, I'd rather see most of the vets unsigned/bought out and then replaced with kids next season even if it guarantees we miss the playoffs.

The fact Kasper has not played a single game in the NHL this season tells me Yzerman has no intent to play him in the NHL next season. I expect that Danielson will leapfrog him and play in the NHL from game one as he is already used to NA rink sizes and plays a more complete "center" game.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad