Post-Game Talk: Game #70: Canucks defeat Luongo and the Panthers 4-3 in the shootout

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Only thing I'd like to point out to anyone trying to apply this to Vancouver is with Buffalo it didn't happen over night. Two years ago they finished with 89 points missed the playoffs and traded Gaustad, last year they were on pace for 82 points Pominville, this year they'll finish with 50-60 points and traded Vanek, Miller, Ott.

It takes several years to dismantle a team that effectively, and what you're starting with is also a big factor. Vancouver could follow suite but they won't have the team prepped in time like Buffalo for the McDavid draft. This season we've fallen so low largely thanks to injuries, next season probably won't be as bad and even with Kesler and maybe Edler traded we'll probably finish around 10th-20th overall in the league.

My point exactly. Vancouver management has no intention of carrying out a tank. They may get lucky this year due to circumstances beyond their control (mostly a ton of injuries and maybe the Luongo trade) and get a pretty good draft pick. Next season it will be back to a playoff contender. This talk of tank by so many Vancouver fans on this site is not happening.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
My point exactly. Vancouver management has no intention of carrying out a tank. They may get lucky this year due to circumstances beyond their control (mostly a ton of injuries and maybe the Luongo trade) and get a pretty good draft pick. Next season it will be back to a playoff contender. This talk of tank by so many Vancouver fans on this site is not happening.

Playoff spot contender right? because theres zero chance this core ever competes for a cup again.

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Except this is a bad team with a bad core. They aren't just going to magically be a playoff team next year.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
It's not top line or bust for me, I just think he has proven that he deserves more ice time than Hansen. The makeshift top line we have going right now is doing great, so I wouldn't want to split them up.

Don't break up the top line Kassian seem to be someone who fit well with Higgins and MAtthias instead of Hansen

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Don't break up the top line Kassian seem to be someone who fit well with Higgins and MAtthias instead of Hansen

I agree with this. This is what I'd like to see for tomorrow's game:

Jensen - H. Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Matthias - Kassian
Booth - Schroeder - Hansen
Sestito - Dalpe - Weber

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Except this is a bad team with a bad core. They aren't just going to magically be a playoff team next year.

The one thing that I'm concerned about is that even when the Sedins were playing out of their mind, those 2 and the rest of the Canucks still had a damn hard time playing against these big western teams like LA and Anaheim. Since they are both in our division now, it will make it even tougher. However, even if we have a solid team in the playoffs, the refs have shown that they will still screw this team over blatantly. (playoffs vs san jose and devorski this regular season)

Last edited:

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Lol - zero chance huh? That is BS.

It's a pretty safe assumption. The only way they do is if they experience a resurgence with an influx of youth and their own games get back to a high level in the process, exactly like what's happening with the Sharks this year.

Copying the Sharks "model", this is what would have to happen:

-Horvat and Jensen enter and stay in the lineup a la Hertl and Nieto.
-Daniel gets back to 30 goal level, a la Marleau.
-Henrik gets back to 60+ assist level, a la Thornton (this one is quite possible).

Assuming Kesler also continues playing like he is and experiences a surge in points due to the rest of the team improving, okay, this core can still be dangerous. Huge if's though.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
It's a pretty safe assumption. The only way they do is if they experience a resurgence with an influx of youth and their own games get back to a high level in the process, exactly like what's happening with the Sharks this year.

Copying the Sharks "model", this is what would have to happen:

-Horvat and Jensen enter and stay in the lineup a la Hertl and Nieto.
-Daniel gets back to 30 goal level, a la Marleau.
-Henrik gets back to 60+ assist level, a la Thornton (this one is quite possible).

Assuming Kesler also continues playing like he is and experiences a surge in points due to the rest of the team improving, okay, this core can still be dangerous. Huge if's though.

there are these other factor that Shark have.....we don't have Courture like player and Burrows would have to return to 25 goal pace which would equal to Burns on the top line.

salo franchise

Mar 15, 2014

Haven't you watched the last several years? It's foolish to say this team will need magic to make the playoffs next year as this is the first time they've missed the playoffs in several years. Some changes need to be made but you shouldn't be so disparaging. This year might prove to be an anomaly. Changing the coach and getting healthy would solve a lot of the issues.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
there are these other factor that Shark have.....we don't have Courture like player and Burrows would have to return to 25 goal pace which would equal to Burns on the top line.

Well, the parallel wouldn't be exact but you get the idea. Like I said, it's doubtful anyways.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Its really simple, when we were a dominant regular season team and WAY younger, faster, healthier, with much more proven goaltending we couldn't get the job done. But now that we're older, playing in a tougher division, have way less depth, more injury problems, questionable goaltending over a full season, and lack skill and a power play we'll magically turn it on next year? come on, quit drinking the kool aid.

I said this was a throw away season before training camp, that must've just been blind negativity huh. This has been a sinking ship for 3 years.

Best case scenario we get some contributions from a rookie or two next year, add some scoring in the summer, and squeak into the playoffs. Competing for a cup… HA!

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Haven't you watched the last several years? It's foolish to say this team will need magic to make the playoffs next year as this is the first time they've missed the playoffs in several years. Some changes need to be made but you shouldn't be so disparaging. This year might prove to be an anomaly. Changing the coach and getting healthy would solve a lot of the issues.

We have watched the last few years, we've watched ONE playoff game win in three seasons. Even if we get there we're going nowhere against the beasts in our division no matter how healthy we are unless gigantic, serious, core altering changes are made over the summer. And with this GM, forget it. Next year is a youth movement throw away year number 2.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
@y2kcanucks and NugetntHopkinsfan I didn't say they would be a cup contender. You misunderstand. I think the Canucks might just get their pick this season if they continue to flounder, though they just might finish too high for it to matter that much.

My point is that next year the organization will start the season with the same core all healthy and an addition or two from the prospect pool and maybe a UFA and management will be pushing the same tale to the masses that they are aiming for the playoffs again.

The fact that you guys may be correct in your assessments doesn't have any bearing on what Aquaman may have planned for next season. I don't believe a tank has begun. Maybe a tweak here and there, but ownership and management will proceed with business as usual until they finally accept what you are saying. That will only come when the team they ice fails to live up to management's expectations. I believe the higher ups don't see it yet. You seem to be leaning that way as well.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon

That's what everyone said last year. Even when healthy this season they still weren't dominant. Plus there are much bigger problems then just Torts.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity

It has been a while since we could possible miss the playoff (there still a chance), and there will always be some poster who don't believe in this core at all. With a few changes, the team can be a playoff team again. It is not that difficult

There will be some pressure on Jensen, Horvat to be a full time member but if they do make it we should be fine

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
@y2kcanucks and NugetntHopkinsfan I didn't say they would be a cup contender. You misunderstand. I think the Canucks might just get their pick this season if they continue to flounder, though they just might finish too high for it to matter that much.

My point is that next year the organization will start the season with the same core all healthy and an addition or two from the prospect pool and maybe a UFA and management will be pushing the same tale to the masses that they are aiming for the playoffs again.

The fact that you guys may be correct in your assessments doesn't have any bearing on what Aquaman may have planned for next season. I don't believe a tank has begun. Maybe a tweak here and there, but ownership and management will proceed with business as usual until they finally accept what you are saying. That will only come when the team they ice fails to live up to management's expectations. I believe the higher ups don't see it yet. You seem to be leaning that way as well.

As much as I don't want too I agree with you. I'm scared to think that we will have the same core next year. We need much bigger changed then a simple retool. I hope Aquaman realizes that.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver

I believe we'll be fed the exact lines we were last preseason about playing youth over experience. Except this time it will actually happen. And I'm fine with that. Let the kids play!

But there are some delusional homers who think if we're healthy we're a contender, it doesn't matter if we're healthy, we're not competing for a cup next season and probably not for at least three seasons and that's if everything goes well. And thats not negativity its realism.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
As much as I don't want too I agree with you. I'm scared to think that we will have the same core next year. We need much bigger changed then a simple retool. I hope Aquaman realizes that.

we don't need big changes...addition by subtraction...dump some vets and replacing them with youth is already huge. We could dump kesler and Edler and replace them with younger player that is proven.

like I said Jensen will be expected to make the team. Lack will hopefully solidfy that starting job. Kassasin also improves and become a bigger factor.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
It has been a while since we could possible miss the playoff (there still a chance), and there will always be some poster who don't believe in this core at all. With a few changes, the team can be a playoff team again. It is not that difficult

There will be some pressure on Jensen, Horvat to be a full time member but if they do make it we should be fine

No there is not a chance, there is ZERO chance we make the playoffs, NONE. It isn't happening. This is a seriously flawed hockey team and two rookies won't fix that. There are holes in every area of our team.

Seriously, pass the punch.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
we don't need big changes...addition by subtraction...dump some vets and replacing them with youth is already huge. We could dump kesler and Edler and replace them with younger player that is proven.

like I said Jensen will be expected to make the team. Lack will hopefully solidfy that starting job. Kassasin also improves and become a bigger factor.

And that's exactly what I'm hoping for. I may have not had a very clear message. What I'm saying is that I hope management doesn't think this year is an anomaly and simply sign a UFA and think its all fixed.

Willting*

Its really simple, when we were a dominant regular season team and WAY younger, faster, healthier, with much more proven goaltending we couldn't get the job done. But now that we're older, playing in a tougher division, have way less depth, more injury problems, questionable goaltending over a full season, and lack skill and a power play we'll magically turn it on next year? come on, quit drinking the kool aid.

I said this was a throw away season before training camp, that must've just been blind negativity huh. This has been a sinking ship for 3 years.

Best case scenario we get some contributions from a rookie or two next year, add some scoring in the summer, and squeak into the playoffs. Competing for a cup… HA!

You should jump off the boat then. SS Colorado is close by.

salo franchise

Mar 15, 2014
That's what everyone said last year. Even when healthy this season they still weren't dominant. Plus there are much bigger problems then just Torts.

I wasn't saying they'd be a cup-favorite. By definition, very few teams can be dominant. I was responding to the silly assertion by Y2Kcanucks that they had next to no hope at the playoffs.

I agree that there are issues with the roster but I still see the team as a middle of the pack team. I think a good step for this team is trying to remove all the drama surrounding them and this will help them get their play back on track. Getting rid of Luongo was a good step, as will be getting rid of anyone else who doesn't want to be here.

Changing the coach to one who's systems suit the team and who doesn't bring unnecessary drama and media attention by doing and saying stupid things would also help.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
No there is not a chance, there is ZERO chance we make the playoffs, NONE. It isn't happening. This is a seriously flawed hockey team and two rookies won't fix that. There are holes in every area of our team.

Seriously, pass the punch.

Don't say we have NO chance at the playoffs next year. Stranger things have happened. What you should be saying is that we have ZERO chance at a cup'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad