GDT: Game 7: Sharks @ Ducks 7:15 NBCSCA

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
Man guys, I really like Will Smith and so badly want to see him succeed, but the kid is just getting worked out there game after game. He just seems totally unprepared for NHL speed & physicality, as that empty netter shows. I think it's time to send him to the A. Anyone else?
He isn’t going down. Grier said so today and to be honest I’m good with it. If you compare his first game to today’s you can already see the huge strides he’s made. He’s a work in progress but he’s looking better each game

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Man guys, I really like Will Smith and so badly want to see him succeed, but the kid is just getting worked out there game after game. He just seems totally unprepared for NHL speed & physicality, as that empty netter shows. I think it's time to send him to the A. Anyone else?
It's not going to happen. Grier said he's staying up. And I think he should. Despite the two penalties, this was his best offensive game. He was 2cm from his first assist, he was a great save from his first goal, he probably generated almost as much offense as Eklund (best player tonight imho).

Smith is going through it right now, but if he can come out of the 10-40 games it takes him to figure out how to play in the league, he's going to be a better player for it.

drunksage

Sphere = underrated?
Jan 13, 2007
30-ish min from Sphere
SNOG announcement

For the first time in Utah Hockey Club history, we have a SNOG not by weastern bias.

SNOG
Ducks 3-1
Carlsson
, Vatrano, Terry
Eklund

Congrats @Timo Time on your first SNOG of the year (and first in many seasons, if the logs serve)!

SNOG 2017-02-28.jpg

#
Date / Opponent
SNOG Winner(s)
Result
1Oct. 10 vs BluesnoneBlues 5-4 OT
2Oct. 12 vs DucksnoneDucks 2-0
3Oct. 15 at Starsweastern biasStars 3-2 SO
4Oct. 17 at Blackhawksweastern biasBlackhawks 4-2
5Oct. 18 at JetsnoneJets 8-3
6Oct. 20 vs AvalanchenoneAvalanche 4-1
7Oct. 22 at DucksTimo TimeDucks 3-1

Rank
2024-25 SNOG standings
# of SNOGs
1.weastern bias2
2.Timo Time1

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Smith needs about 2 months to adjust to the speed. Benching him doesn't make the Sharks more competitive, and certainly doesn't help his development. He's just a beat behind. He's gradually improving, but everything he did in college doesn't work in the NHL yet, because it's too slow. He's not like Celebrini, who was already playing at NHL speed before the season started. Smith has to think faster and move faster, and he'll get there. Fans don't normally get a microscopic view of a player's growing pains, but that's what we're gonna get with Smith until he sorts it out.

Sharksfan66

Nov 4, 2021
It's not going to happen. Grier said he's staying up. And I think he should. Despite the two penalties, this was his best offensive game. He was 2cm from his first assist, he was a great save from his first goal, he probably generated almost as much offense as Eklund (best player tonight imho).

Smith is going through it right now, but if he can come out of the 10-40 games it takes him to figure out how to play in the league, he's going to be a better player for it.
Did you see the play where he thought he could get by the Anaheim player but was not in fact able to do it and it ended the game? I saw at least 2-3 other plays like that throughout the game (though none were the death knell the last one was).

Again, I'm really high on Smith. This doesn't make me doubt his potential future. But he just isn't as NHL ready as I had hoped. It seems crazy to me to not send him down to the A for a bit to dominate. You have to imagine his confidence is shot. Especially watching his buddy that he well outscored last year put up 2 points tonight.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Smith being a big reason they lost this game is good adversity for him to go through now while he’s adjusting. It’s a lesson he’ll need to go through for a while during his development.

He had more opportunities to make plays and got closer than before to scoring. There’s light at the end of that tunnel. Just need to stick it out. I think they should do the same with Gushchin.

Put Benning in for Rutta and run a blue line with Walman-Ceci, Ferraro-Thompson, and Thrun-Benning. When Muk is ready, put him in Thrun’s spot and hope it works.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Smith needs about 2 months to adjust to the speed. Benching him doesn't make the Sharks more competitive, and certainly doesn't help his development. He's just a beat behind. He's gradually improving, but everything he did in college doesn't work in the NHL yet, because it's too slow. He's not like Celebrini, who was already playing at NHL speed before the season started. Smith has to think faster and move faster, and he'll get there. Fans don't normally get a microscopic view of a player's growing pains, but that's what we're gonna get with Smith until he sorts it out.
I thought today he was actually much closer to game speed. His near goal came from seeing the play on time and hustling HARD to catch up to that play and present an option for Goodrow, as just one example. Lots of other good offensive chances generated. Unfortunate that he had a couple turnovers in the third (one for the EN) due to not enough strength, but all in all it was actually a great step forward game for him in my eyes.

Other positives since this season isn't about wins but about development:
  • Eklund looked fantastic.
  • Thompson got better as the game went on - feels like looking into Cagnoni's future
  • Walman isn't going to be a core piece, but he looked very solid, especially on the endless PK
It feels like we'll get our first win soon, but we're certainly only slightly better than last year. It's more watchable but it's also more frustrating versus just completely demoralizing.

Sharksfan66

Nov 4, 2021
He isn’t going down. Grier said so today and to be honest I’m good with it. If you compare his first game to today’s you can already see the huge strides he’s made. He’s a work in progress but he’s looking better each game
I think he's shown flashes of brilliance from game 1 onward. I think that's always been there.

But aren't you a little worried watching him concisely get beat when he tries to make a move? These are moves he should be able to pull off long term, but I don't think leaving him in a league that's too big a jump in terms of the speed/size is a good way to help him adapt.

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
I thought today he was actually much closer to game speed. His near goal came from seeing the play on time and hustling HARD to catch up to that play and present an option for Goodrow, as just one example. Lots of other good offensive chances generated. Unfortunate that he had a couple turnovers in the third (one for the EN) due to not enough strength, but all in all it was actually a great step forward game for him in my eyes.

Other positives since this season isn't about wins but about development:
  • Eklund looked fantastic.
  • Thompson got better as the game went on - feels like looking into Cagnoni's future
  • Walman isn't going to be a core piece, but he looked very solid, especially on the endless PK
It feels like we'll get our first win soon, but we're certainly only slightly better than last year. It's more watchable but it's also more frustrating versus just completely demoralizing.
It cannot be understated how badly not having Celebrini is f***ing us up, also.

I have to say Wennberg has been super disappointing. We are not getting even half his contract value out of him.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
I think he's shown flashes of brilliance from game 1 onward. I think that's always been there.

But aren't you a little worried watching him concisely get beat when he tries to make a move? These are moves he should be able to pull off long term, but I don't think leaving him in a league that's too big a jump in terms of the speed/size is a good way to help him adapt.
I’m not worried at all that a 19 year old making the jump from College to the best league in the world is getting beat by men in his first 10 games. This season, growing pains were expected and that’s what we are getting. He needs to learn from his mistakes while also being encouraged to stick with it even if something fails. He’s actually reminding me quite a bit of Jack Hughes in his rookie campaign

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Yeah he should pull off those moves when he understands the physical demands to doing so at the NHL level and gets his body like how Eklund has gotten his body after a couple years of pro hockey. I would keep him in the AHL but Grier isn’t doing that because he sees more development happening over the course of a season. It’s a fair thing to believe and invest into I think.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
Smith really needs to get that roller hockey, stop skating and use your stick for defense completely out of his game it’s just lazy that’s not a rookie mistake. Hes also got to learn to stop over skating and chasing the puck in the offensive zone, when he wasn’t doing that he was getting puck possession and making things happen

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Did you see the play where he thought he could get by the Anaheim player but was not in fact able to do it and it ended the game?
Yes, I even posted about it being his season in a nutshell (needs to get stronger, be more decisive) -- but he also needed puck support there, and he had a lot of other pretty dangerous plays. He could have had 2-3 points tonight but for posts or great saves.

I saw at least 2-3 other plays like that throughout the game (though none were the death knell the last one was).
At least! He tried a stupid chip-move in the high slot that led to a rush the other way. He screwed up one or two other OZ passes. But he also had some good forechecks, puck support as F2, turnovers, high danger passes, and a near goal. It was as I said, offensively, his best game, and without even one of the penalties, definitely his best game overall.
Again, I'm really high on Smith. This doesn't make me doubt his potential future. But he just isn't as NHL ready as I had hoped. It seems crazy to me to not send him down to the A for a bit to dominate. You have to imagine his confidence is shot. Especially watching his buddy that he well outscored last year put up 2 points tonight.
Cutter didn't look all that great and he's a year older and he has been a man-child for 2 years already. He's cave man hockey. Me shoot puck. Had an awful PP-killing pass to the point when nobody was there, didn't do much at 5v5.

Look, we can debate this for another hour, but he's staying up. Grier said so yesterday. And anyway this is the gauntlet - it's probably the single hardest month of his hockey-playing life, maybe his entire charmed life - and he's going to have to learn from it and if he does, he will grow immensely from it as a person and a player.

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
Really liking Thompson's game, very happy to see the coaches are rewarding him with first line D pairing with Walman and he got PP1 QB in the third period. The analytics also loved his game tonight
As a side note to the color choices on these graphs - could they be just a tad more easier to distinguish from each other or am I just getting old? :laugh:

Reactions: Sandisfan

Sharksfan66

Nov 4, 2021
I’m not worried at all that a 19 year old making the jump from College to the best league in the world is getting beat by men in his first 10 games. This season, growing pains were expected and that’s what we are getting. He needs to learn from his mistakes while also being encouraged to stick with it even if something fails. He’s actually reminding me quite a bit of Jack Hughes in his rookie campaign
I haven't watched much Jack Hughes but I remember watching rookie Patty. And Couture. And Pavelski. The latter 2 seasoned in the A and it showed. Even Patty showed more than this at this point.

I agree with you about it being a huge jump from college to the NHL but that's why I want to send him to the A at this point. There are some players who can make the jump straight away (see Eichel, Hutson, and hopefully, Celebrini) but most can't. And there's no shame in that. It's a pretty normal development curve IMO.

Reactions: TheBigDrunkPanda

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
Meanwhile, I'm here wondering how Sturm is not really contributing anything to this team at all. I'd argue based on interviews, he comes across as someone who would be super negative and down in the room.
Maybe it just means he's negative and down on the ice too nowadays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad