GDT: Game 7: Sharks @ Ducks 7:15 NBCSCA

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Bitching about Blackwood is pretty ridiculous considering for a quarter of the game the ducks have been on the power play
*Shrug*. The shot count is high, but I don't think he's had to make amazing saves; the PK and defense have been solid. Goal #1 was completely on him. Up until goal #2, he was fortunate that his puck-bobbling went unpunished.

Expecting perfection is unfair (though a decent goaltender occasionally needs to have a perfect game), but I'd say that a league-average goaltender would only have let in one goal.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
*Shrug*. The shot count is high, but I don't think he's had to make amazing saves; the PK and defense have been solid. Goal #1 was completely on him. Up until goal #2, he was fortunate that his puck-bobbling went unpunished.

Expecting perfection is unfair (though a decent goaltender occasionally needs to have a perfect game), but I'd say that a league-average goaltender would only have let in one goal.
The first goal against was garbage, his rebound control has been pretty good considering shots are coming through screens, they are dropping where he can at least cover them.

Two week calls against a rookie hardly count as bad. You’re going to take a guy who has played his best offensive game and bench him because of some rookie mistakes?
Those were legit calls only thing weak,about it was smith reaching in again and lunging for the puck and tripping the ducks forwards

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Woof... I really was rooting for Smith today and he looked better, but if that last play isn't just a microcosm of his season so far. Carries the puck into the zone with speed, easily muscled off the puck against the boards, turnover, goal against. Not really his fault, needed support, but he just needs to get a whole lot stronger.

Obviously needs to avoid taking the penalties as well but I thought they were pretty soft calls. Some good flashes for him today.

This was the most frustrating game of the year for me to watch, just could have been 3-1 the other way pretty easily.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
This really is turning into last year all over again. They had some good opportunities at the beginning, but that entire period they were basically held to the outside. I know it's still rebuilding, but this was a frustrating game to watch.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
I more or less agree but I’m living with it since the point is to develop him.
I’ll give Warso credit he’s letting him play through it but he’s gotta show improvement especially in the lazy stick penalties. I can deal with the bad turnovers in the O zone as part of development growing pains

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Could go either way but I'll go with 3-1 Sharks (EN) for our first win of the season. I think it'll be low scoring since both teams struggle at 5v5... ANA actually worse than Sharks, and I'm hoping... hoping... that we (Rutta) stop giving up 5 on 3's.

3-1 Sharks
Smith (keep hoping), Toffoli, Wennberg EN
Carlsson

My other snog would be 3-1 Ducks but NO.
I'm gonna go ahead and take the moral victory on this one. Sigh.

Sharksfan66

Nov 4, 2021
Man guys, I really like Will Smith and so badly want to see him succeed, but the kid is just getting worked out there game after game. He just seems totally unprepared for NHL speed & physicality, as that empty netter shows. I think it's time to send him to the A. Anyone else?

Reactions: Chinaski89

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad