GDT: Game 7: Sharks @ Ducks 7:15 NBCSCA

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I Still don't understand what happened there. Sharks picked him up, Goodrow said no, but still came anyway? It was like a Ryan Leaf situation unti it wasn't.

He wasn't angry with the Sharks or anything. he was mad at the Rangers for circumventing his NTC using waivers. I imagine that it just took one call from Sharks management to tell him to come to San Jose, play well, and build his value and then they could find him a new home that he's amenable to if someone's willing to take him on with his salary.

Reactions: coooldude

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
So it started as a trade attempt then? Who were the Sharks going to give up for him because going through waivers ended up being cheaper.

Nobody. It wasn't an attempted trade. It was the Rangers realizing that they wouldn't get anything of value for him if they could trade him at all because his NTC and his contract made him an unattractive acquisition, particularly for more cap-strapped contender teams. So their solution to get rid of his money was to dump him on waivers and let the Sharks or whoever pick him up, which while technically allowable is considered kind of a dick move to to to a veteran with an NTC who isn't unplayably awful and on their way out of the league.

Reactions: SJSharksfan39

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
How much offense is dried up because the defensemen can only make the simplest plays?

Just in that shift, Eklund makes some great plays. Granlund helps him as the cycle. But Thompson kills one cycle with a bad point shot, and then Ferraro kills the second with an even worse one.

Reactions: Sandisfan

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
He wasn't angry with the Sharks or anything. he was mad at the Rangers for circumventing his NTC using waivers. I imagine that it just took one call from Sharks management to tell him to come to San Jose, play well, and build his value and then they could find him a new home that he's amenable to if someone's willing to take him on with his salary.

So Goodrow if he plays well will be a trade deadline piece to a team? I can't imagine the Sharks getting a lot for him, maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick? (Probably still too high).

wickedwitch

Mar 21, 2010
How much offense is dried up because the defensemen can only make the simplest plays?

Just in that shift, Eklund makes some great plays. Granlund helps him as the cycle. But Thompson kills one cycle with a bad point shot, and then Ferraro kills the second with an even worse one.
This is a huge issue, IMO.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
So Goodrow if he plays well will be a trade deadline piece to a team? I can't imagine the Sharks giving up a lot for him, maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick? (Probably still too high).
I doubt it, honestly. He's got too many years left on his contract and we have no retention spots. We'd get nothing back which seems pointless.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
So Goodrow if he plays well will be a trade deadline piece to a team? I can't imagine the Sharks giving up a lot for him, maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick? (Probably still too high).

I don't know. Probably not this year. He's got 2 more seasons after this one at $3.6m per cap hit. And the sharks don't have any cap retention slots until the off-season when Burns' current deal expires. It's more likely that he becomes attractive next year when the team can eat a good chunk of his salary for the remaining year and a bit and probably get something somewhat attractive back for it.

But there's always the random chance that some dumb, panicky GM does something dumb and panicky and wants Goody at full price for a decent return.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
This period has been so frustrating. This is as quick as I've seen the Sharks look all season (except the first game) and they are getting quality chances. Nothing is going in though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad