Pre-Game Talk: Game 7: last chance for the core

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Don’t know how anyone can say Nylander is afraid of contact when he caused the turnover that led to Spezza’s goal by using his body.

People only see what they want to see, unfortunately. Once opinions on a player is formed for some people they won't change, not matter what the guy does on the ice

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The Habs seem a little too cocky from what I have seen. I hope the Leafs have their best game of the series here and send them packing.

They didn't even look great beyond the first 15 minutes of the 1st last night. I think they've lost their desperateness, which is a negative for them since they need that as motivation.

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
Dubas should be fired for his trade deadline "acquisitions". Foligno and Nash both have played very poorly, and Ben Hutton hasn't even played at all.

What a waste of draft picks for nothing. I wonder what trash player we will pickup next year for a 1st rounder

Reactions: saffronleaf

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
If we lose, I think Keefe should probably be fired. Not sure if Dubie will do it. I like Gallant, but then again I liked Babcock too before he came here so who knows. They will need more than just a coaching change, though.

Quite frankly I would like a decent GM who knows hockey. His primary job is to make sure that there is successful hockey and if time permits then do all the "woke" activities. In their personal life they can do whatever they want but they are getting paid to manage a hockey team and a hockey team should win.

I'd personally prefer Gallant with Boudreau as a PP guy assistant coach (boudreau's teams know how to score not to defend); and hopefully get some solid defensive minded guy for our defensive detail.

I recall having hired Paulrus as an assitant for the Leafs; wtf happened with that? I never see him behind the bench

Reactions: LeafsRus and rumman

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Mellow dramatic.

Remember when Ovechkin couldn't lead his team out of the first round or two? And then he did.

This is no different to that.

Matthews and Marner are both not going anywhere. You just prey that at some point they finally figure it out.

Lets not forget how Tampa obviously dumped kucherov and Stamkos after getting swept by Columbus.

Oh wait, that didn't happen.

The fact of the matter is that almost every damn playoffs the heavy favorites get bumped out of the playoffs by a team that just snuck in.

It happens all the GD time. If you all were not so emotional, you'd remember that.

Dubas this summer has choices to make but I think he put together one hell of a team.

Win or lose, the core isn't going anywhere.

Alex Ovechkin was drafted in 2004 and won his only cup in 2018. So by my calculations if we’re setting the timeline to the Matthews draft in 2016 that puts Toronto’s Stanley Cup win somewhere around 2030 if all goes according to the script. I don’t think that’s palatable.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Andrewcoursol

May 13, 2018
ontario
If it is not the last chance for this core... I will be extremely disappointed.

If they can win a series, maybe they get some mojo and away we go.

Assuming they lose of course... expect major roster changes for next season.
some of those contracts are going to difficult to trade, what team wants playoff Marner?, even injured Tavares is not lighting it up and has been a minus player stats wise the last few playoffs.

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
lol thanks for the confidence but I gotta work tomorrow man. I don't think it matters who makes the GDT if the buds come out flat. I did have a good run though with Games 2, 3, 4 ;)

I might have some time before 11 am tomorrow if someone hasn't already created it. Then I am absolutely busy from 11 am to 3ish pm. I will try but cannot jeopardize my job to make the GDT man lol

P.S. I did make one for Game 6; and we still lost :( may be because it wasn't the official gdt? :naughty:

;)

Literally create a new thread with the GDT title and don't even add anything to it.
Make one that requires zero effort.
We'll add content to it in the comments.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
F-ing Leafs, I promised my wife I would never watch another Leaf game again after that dismal performance last night, now the curiosity is killing me on that decision.
Maybe I'll just PVR it & watch it if I hear they won ffs!
That’s my plan. Some call of fair weather, I call it saving myself from a Dangle-attack

Reactions: Alamo Leafer

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Quite frankly I would like a decent GM who knows hockey. His primary job is to make sure that there is successful hockey and if time permits then do all the "woke" activities. In their personal life they can do whatever they want but they are getting paid to manage a hockey team and a hockey team should win.

I'd personally prefer Gallant with Boudreau as a PP guy assistant coach (boudreau's teams know how to score not to defend); and hopefully get some solid defensive minded guy for our defensive detail.

I recall having hired Paulrus as an assitant for the Leafs; wtf happened with that? I never see him behind the bench
Imagine what kinds of EMOTION patrick roy (who will never coach the leafs would bring), or johnny tortorella. Rick Tocchet would fit also real well, he a real hard nose poker face. One of the hardest faces out there, ever in coaches. Hard as F milord.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
F-ing Leafs, I promised my wife I would never watch another Leaf game again after that dismal performance last night, now the curiosity is killing me on that decision.
Watching on delay is my go-to late in series.

I'll put the game on for puck drop, go to the range, hit some balls, maybe go for a run after, then check the score and catch up. At least I'll know where we stand at that point.

I don't mind losing, but honestly this is a little much to watch them embarassed year-in and year-out each first round.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Dubas should be fired for his trade deadline "acquisitions". Foligno and Nash both have played very poorly, and Ben Hutton hasn't even played at all.

What a waste of draft picks for nothing. I wonder what trash player we will pickup next year for a 1st rounder

Foligno was obviously damaged goods. He hasn't been healthy from day 1.

Reactions: LeafsRus and rumman

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Alex Ovechkin was drafted in 2004 and won his only cup in 2018. So by my calculations if we’re setting the timeline to the Matthews draft in 2016 that puts Toronto’s Stanley Cup win somewhere around 2030 if all goes according to the script. I don’t think that’s palatable.
Also, if we are going to consider Matthews/Tavares/Marner/Nylander/Rielly to be this team's core, then the Caps that became known for choking on the big stage had Ovi/Backstrom/Alex Semin/Mike Green as its core. Meanwhile, the Caps that won the cup ended up with a core of Ovi/Backstrom/Kuznetsov/Oshie

You see what I'm getting at here - everyone says the Caps just ran it back and stuck with it, when that was not at all the case. Getting rid of Alex Semin and letting Mike Green eventually go were huge moves.

Reactions: Korg

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006

Not out of the question we see Hutton tomorrow.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Have a date night start early. Come home open a bottle of wine; let your wife drink the entire bottle. She will go to bed you flip on the tube and log into HF

;)

Reactions: Alamo Leafer

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Also, if we are going to consider Matthews/Tavares/Marner/Nylander/Rielly to be this team's core, then the Caps that became known for choking on the big stage had Ovi/Backstrom/Alex Semin/Mike Green as its core. Meanwhile, the Caps that won the cup ended up with a core of Ovi/Backstrom/Kuznetsov/Oshie

You see what I'm getting at here - everyone says the Caps just ran it back and stuck with it, when that was not at all the case. Getting rid of Alex Semin and letting Mike Green eventually go were huge moves.

Right now Mitch looks like the next Alex Semin................not good.

Andrewcoursol

May 13, 2018
ontario
False equivalency. The Caps consistently won their first round matchup multiple times. And frankly, their cup win was the exception, not the rule. Ovi is the greatest goal scorer ever, but he’s not a winner.

Matthews looks to be very similar, but even more of a loser who loses and never steps up for the big game.
why would a team pay more for Matthews, Marner,and Tavares, none of them can match what Ovi has done, plus Ovi plays harder than the 3 fore mentioned combined, every team needs players for the regular season to make the playoffs, but need playoff type players for the playoffs, this leaf team is not going far in the playoffs in the upcoming seasons when divisons get realigned,

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

Matthews will be long gone from Toronto by 2030. He's not going to resign in Toronto, he's going to Vegas or Cali.

Reactions: LeafsRus

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Imagine what kinds of EMOTION patrick roy (who will never coach the leafs would bring), or johnny tortorella. Rick Tocchet would fit also real well, he a real hard nose poker face. One of the hardest faces out there, ever in coaches. Hard as F milord.
none of the aforementioned coaches would be hired by Dubas, Leafs need better President and GM, then coaching and player personnel can be addressed.......

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Someone told me he's out with a non-hockey related injury, so doubtf.
Didn't realize that... That means Dermott likely moves up with Holl and Sandin back with Bogo.. possible we run 5 depending on how the game is going. Montreal's going with 4 primarily.

Reactions: Gallagbi

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I don't think he likes it here, there's a reason he signed for 5 yrs
most hate this idea, but I agree he'll end up in Vegas/Arizona/or one of the teams in California. As talented as he is, he hasn't shown me anything to suggest he's a winner...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad