Post-Game Talk: GAME #67 (haha, 67): Canucks 3 vs. Maple Leafs 2 (OT)

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
27 minutes for both Edler and Stecher, these guys are going to get injured eventually, and for what reason?

Gaudette only 11:37 minutes, what more does Gaudette have to do to get icetime?

Honestly, there was more at stake in this game than simplistics like that. I was at the game, and it was a playoff atmosphere. When you’re on the national stage, you need to try to win; it sends the wrong message to players if you don’t. I reviewed the ice time and it’s in line with expectations. That is, aside from the power play. I understand the pro tank group will not like that, but I think many will understand that.

Stecher looked really really good tonight. That is, aside from his two misplays on the two on ones. I was very impressed.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Definition of a trap game for Toronto. Their top players looked completely disinterested at times. Matthews and Tavares looked set on hitting up the bars after the 2nd. Yikes on that Matthews contract as it is becoming quite clear that Marner is now the main driver on the team.

Markstrom absolutely fantastic again. How do you possibly slot in Demko in the immediate future? Any conversations about Demko being the future #1 has to be examined.

Edler getting back to form. You initially see his inability to read offensive situations but then admire his ability to remain positionally sound defensively and neutralize the best forwards in the game.

Stecher continues to battle and again, this is a player you admire. Lack of size and talent up but makes it up with his resilient tenacity.

Gaudette doing the right things, gets 2 points and then benched after a few defensive mishaps. Okay there.

Feel good for Leivo to get the goal and you continue to see this player trending up. Virtanen should be forced to earn a spot next year based on how well Leivo has developed.

Pearson is slow and awkward but is pretty good defensively.

Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser - just absolutely gassed. This is the importance of an NHL team having at least 3 decent lines. You also need those hard nosed puck retrievers to at least create turnovers or battle against the boards. Boeser is absolutely useless in the offensive zone unless someone a) retrieves the puck and b) passes it to the shooter. Horvat has been trying to do it all in the offensive zone.

Rousell is also fading big time. Ineffectual and getting nothing accomplished. Again, do not see the need for this marginal talent on this team.

Motte, Eriksson, Granlund, Beagle. Meh.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Great to see Eriksson and Lievo score. Question: is the ice at Rogers center really that bad? Puck was bouncing all over the place it seemed to me...

Reactions: sting101

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Leivo on pace for 21 goals as a Canuck...Leafs are gonna miss a big guy with a heavy shot and good puck battle game come playoffs

Edler had a huge game so did Stecher and Biega who was a beast all night.

Our PP at the back has no idea whats going on and WTF is Newell Brown doing anyway.....late PP and they have 2 weak units instead of loading 1 up?...unreal

Can anyone remember the last time Eriksson and Granlund challenged another player in any way and came away a victor...playing on the perimeter pushing pucks to safe areas...pretty sad.

Tough stretch for EP40 getting huge attention and struggling....the ice really hurt him tonight also.

Boeser and Horvat played unreal. Pearson i like so far....not a pretty skater but has plenty of jamb and is strong in tight battles....needs some time to gel to be fair.

Goldobin has been one of the best forwards since the deadline if not the best. If he can just get smarter when he has no play out high and not force cross ice there might be hope for him yet.

Nice to see Gaudette with a couple apples....i was saying in the game time talk that he needs to get stronger and more endurance on his shifts (which he does) then he goes and beasts this game.....kid reminds me of Kesler in a lot of ways....looking forward to his progression...he's such a competitor i just expect it.

Markstrom is a top 5-10 starter this year....amazing progression

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Love to see those Toronto fans get one shoved down their throat. Especially having them up and all smug and then having the game yanked out from under them. The contrast b/w how the big vet teams like Vegas handled us and the way the Canucks were able to penetrate Toronto's defense was evident. Difficult to make predictions but Leafs don't seem like a team built for the playoffs. Have to say, however, that Marner is a great player.

Good

Stecher - right now might well be awarded the best defense man trophy. Was excellent in this game and seems like he is taking over Edler's role on the PP (have to say PP remained very poor however)

Markstrom - strong per usual - both goalies were good. Second point of the season in this game

Biega - said earlier that teams would be sad they let him go thru waivers. Don't see how he isn't solidly in the top 6. Provides as much offense 5 on 5 as any of our d-men.

Gaudette - matter now of turning the that raw potential into a polished player. Was probably our most dangerous forward.

Not So Good

Pouliot - as always get exposed by speed. Not a good enough skater. Also back to playing everything from deep in his end. Hard for a team to remain a solid unit of 5 when you are always stretching the play so much.

Boeser - nice pass on the winner but otherwise little of factor and way too many turnovers. Forcing things and not letting the play come to him.

Others

Goldobin - vacillated b/w making some nice little touch passes and then vague area passes. Way too nonchalant at times. (especially on the PP) You wonder if he will ever get the intensity and determination to see and make the play.

Edler - raised his game and was good in OT. But there was lot of weak passing and sloppy puck movement in this game.

Sautner - best game to date. Didn't seem as much out of place as earlier.

Schenn - mostly good although he got caught flat footed a couple of times. Making good passes out of his end.

Roussel - one of his quietest games of the year.

Pettersson - defenses are starting to take away some of offense. Smart player who will look to other options to adjust but this will take some time.

Levio - looked like sniper on his goal but pretty average in the run of the play.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Good

Stecher - right now might well be awarded the best defense man trophy. Was excellent in this game and seems like he is taking over Edler's role on the PP (have to say PP remained very poor however)

This can’t be correct. I was told that Benning has failed to get even 1 good defenseman in 5 years.

member 290103

Leivo on pace for 21 goals as a Canuck...Leafs are gonna miss a big guy with a heavy shot and good puck battle game come playoffs

Edler had a huge game so did Stecher and Biega who was a beast all night.

Our PP at the back has no idea whats going on and WTF is Newell Brown doing anyway.....late PP and they have 2 weak units instead of loading 1 up?...unreal

Can anyone remember the last time Eriksson and Granlund challenged another player in any way and came away a victor...playing on the perimeter pushing pucks to safe areas...pretty sad.

Tough stretch for EP40 getting huge attention and struggling....the ice really hurt him tonight also.

Boeser and Horvat played unreal. Pearson i like so far....not a pretty skater but has plenty of jamb and is strong in tight battles....needs some time to gel to be fair.

Goldobin has been one of the best forwards since the deadline if not the best. If he can just get smarter when he has no play out high and not force cross ice there might be hope for him yet.

Nice to see Gaudette with a couple apples....i was saying in the game time talk that he needs to get stronger and more endurance on his shifts (which he does) then he goes and beasts this game.....kid reminds me of Kesler in a lot of ways....looking forward to his progression...he's such a competitor i just expect it.

Markstrom is a top 5-10 starter this year....amazing progression

I thought Edler was largely terrible all night.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Would be pretty cool if Gaudette could really establish himself as a legit NHL 3C....There's definitely been a ton of progress since the beginning of the season.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I thought Edler was largely terrible all night.
He had some issues with pace but he also ate 27minutes was a +2....was a beast on the boards and 1v1. Moved pucks out 6 shots 9 shot attempts 4 hits 5 blocks 3 takeaways had some jump in the 3v3 and scored the game winner. Had to deal with Marner and Kapanen all night and one of the fastest deepest forward crews which is no easy task either. It wasn't always pretty but he got er done IMO

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know Leafs Nation are brimming with optimism about the post-season, but just not sure how this group is going to respond to heavier hockey, where the refs put their whistles in their pockets. They love to free-wheel, but thought they looked vulnerable to the Canucks down-low forecheck.

Gaudette is quietly becoming one of the Canucks real success stories this season. Has made a quantum leap in performance. And after watching Alex Biega for the past couple of weeks, I'm baffled.

How in the world did this guy sit in the pressbox night after night, while Erik Gudbranson lumbered around out there? He has 10 times more mobility and despite his stature, has a far higher battle level. But I guess it's the same reason two goal scorer Jay Beagle gets more ice-time than Gaudette.

Coaches's decisions, but bizarre ones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad