Post-Game Talk: GAME 6 - Hockey Club 2 BRUINS 1 F OT

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
What struck me is Monty's freak out on the goal that was negated by off-sides. He was screaming at Brad even pushing on him on shoulder.

That is a bit over the top.

A lot of players in the Top 9 are slotted a line or two above where they should be.
Really? Marchand turned the puck over at the offensive blueline. That’s not acceptable.

People harped on Poitras for it a few games ago. But it’s fine if the captain does it?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

SALT LAKE CITY — As the Bruins tried to salt away a victory in the valley Saturday night, the Uthans were busy getting salty.

Michael Kesselring scored in overtime to give the Utah Hockey Club a 2-1 come-from-behind victory over the Bruins at Delta Center in the inaugural game between the franchises.

Cole Koepke had given the Bruins a 1-0 lead in the second period, but Boston could never build on that momentum or on its lead.

In the third period and particularly in extra session, UHC’s speed gave the Bruins fits.

Defenseman Vladislav Kolyachonok evened things up with a spectacular goal with five minutes left in regulation.

Nick Schmaltz led a streaking Kolyachonok with a nifty pass and he got behind the defense and lifted a backhander to the top shelf on Jeremy Swayman.

“I saw the replay; he went upstairs, and I just played it like a breakaway and I tip my cap. He had a good shot,” said Swayman, who made 30 saves.

Things got a little testy early in the middle 20, and by little, let’s call it minuscule.

After Boston’s Mark Kastelic stapled Juuso Valimaki to the glass in the Utah end, Robert Bortuzzo took objection and went after Kastelic. However, the Utah defenseman lost his balance and wiped out Kastelic, who fell on top of him.

Instead of fisticuffs, it was ice follies.

Both were sent off for roughing and the Bruins dominated the two minutes of four-on-four, landing several testers on Ingram.

Utah went back on the power play when Zadorov went off for hooking. The Bruins survived, thanks in large part to Johnny Beecher, who despite losing his stick, stepped in front of a Mikhail Sergachev missile. It stung, but Beecher kept killing.

The Bruins broke through when Koepke collected a Marchand shovel pass and sped in on Ingram before wristing one through the goalie’s five hole for his third goal of the year and second in two games.

After the ensuing faceoff, Koepke showed off his speed again, barreling around Kolyachonok, who had no choice but to haul him down and head to the box for interference.

Utah nearly tied shorthanded when Kesselring picked Pastrnak’s pocket and raced toward Swayman. His wrister beat the Boston goalie but clanged off the far post and across the crease but it never went in, keeping it 1-0 after two.

“Well, I thought the entire game [their speed] gave us trouble,” said Bruins coach Jim Montgomery. “I thought they started faster than us. I thought they were more determined than we were. They were more relentless. I didn’t think we managed pucks very well because of their sticks.”

SonnyBoy

Jan 25, 2022
Sinden would either make a "shake 'em up" trade or fire the coach.
Sweeney is very patient so I don't expect anything to happen (at
least not yet)
but, if ever a "shake 'em up" move is called for, it's now IMO, before it
gets way out of hand.

Pastrnak for Rantanen with new contract signed.

Really? Marchand turned the puck over at the offensive blueline. That’s not acceptable.

People harped on Poitras for it a few games ago. But it’s fine if the captain does it?

There is a difference.
1035gp, Stanley cup winner and wearing C against 37gp player who loses all one-on-ones and should be an AHL to get some experience and strength.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
I notice this team doesn’t play hard against teams who can forecheck hard. Still an issue. Lines 1-3 don’t know how to adjust and simplify their game. So frustrating watching them try and finesse their way through a hard forecheck. Need more board battles

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
Pastrnak for Rantanen with new contract signed.

There is a difference.
1035gp, Stanley cup winner and wearing C against 37gp player who loses all one-on-ones and should be an AHL to get some experience and strength.
Avalanche would not make that trade unless the Bruins added. At 1035 gp should no better and Poitras is probably our most complete player after Lindholm, so no he does not belong in the A.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
There is a difference.
Exactly. So why can’t the coach yell at a captain and vet who’s been playing like an idiot and turning the puck over left right & center?
He should know better. He deserves to get ripped into on that play in a 1-0 game. He dodged a bullet with the offside call

I’m sure Marchy understands he screwed up, but you can’t just give him a hug and say it’ll be ok. It’s a bad look to the team if your captain can do that and doesn’t hear it from the coach. If a kid does that, he sits on the bench for the rest of the game. Marchy does it, hears nothing & is out there next shift.
Not a good look.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
The Bruins have scored 13 goals at 5v5 this season....our 4th line has scored 6 of those goals. Koepke and Kastelic are #1 & #2 in 5v5 goals for the Bruins. Frederic has been absolute dog shit to start the season. 2nd most shots allowed when he's on the ice at 5v5, 2nd most goals allowed, 2nd highest expected goals against, 2nd most high danger goals allowed when he's on the ice.....Maybe Frederic should watch Koepke and take some notes.

Side note - Congrats to Koepke for locking up 7th player award after only 6 games.

bruinsfan1968

Make America United Again! Save our Democracy!
May 6, 2019
Exactly. So why can’t the coach yell at a captain and vet who’s been playing like an idiot and turning the puck over left right & center?
He should know better. He deserves to get ripped into on that play in a 1-0 game. He dodged a bullet with the offside call

I’m sure Marchy understands he screwed up, but you can’t just give him a hug and say it’ll be ok. It’s a bad look to the team if your captain can do that and doesn’t hear it from the coach. If a kid does that, he sits on the bench for the rest of the game. Marchy does it, hears nothing & is out there next shift.
Not a good look.
Marchand in the past has called players for being passengers, so he can get called out for making dumb mistakes!

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I'll add keeping their damn sticks on the ice. So many pucks missed and given away because they are all skating with their stick at their side.

They could definitely make up for the lack of talent with tenacity and aggressive play but they all seem to know they are safe and at no risk.

They know they're safe because there is nobody in Providence that is even a remote threat to take their jobs. Add to that many of them have NMC/NTC clauses in their contracts which makes getting rid of them difficult. These are the ingredients for complacency.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
The Bruins have scored 13 goals at 5v5 this season....our 4th line has scored 6 of those goals. Koepke and Kastelic are #1 & #2 in 5v5 goals for the Bruins. Frederic has been absolute dog shit to start the season. 2nd most shots allowed when he's on the ice at 5v5, 2nd most goals allowed, 2nd highest expected goals against, 2nd most high danger goals allowed when he's on the ice.....Maybe Frederic should watch Koepke and take some notes.

Side note - Congrats to Koepke for locking up 7th player award after only 6 games.
Frederick's play deserves a benching, no question. He gives another effort like he has
against Nashville, I would sit him and insert a signed Johnson.

The entire 4th line has been light years better than Geekie, Frederic, Brazeau and better than Coyle. That can't continue to happen or heads will roll.

Reactions: nORRis8

Ned Bouhalassa

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Montreal

It freaked me out a bit. I would have waited until the end of the game and talked to Brad alone. It looked desperate to yell at him like that, given Brad’s work ethic since he’s been a Bruin.
The more I think about it, the angrier I get.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
I like these new goal simulations. Very handy. Case in point, a still from Utah's goal in regulation (the puck is the black dot at center ice heading towards #52):

View attachment 919004

What is Carlo doing here? Lindholm already has the left of the ice covered, the other Lindy and Zacha are also converging on the puck carrier on that side. Why then is Brandon's initial movement to the left, bringing the two D together and opening up acres of space on the right against a rush coming with some speed? Zero need for it and it makes no sense. Blown coverage and flat-footedness and the puck's in their net.

I've been a pretty strong supporter of Carlo over the years. He was mostly excellent last season. So far this season though he's just not right. No idea what's wrong but the lights aren't all on in his head. He's an important player and his struggles are having a pretty sizeable impact. Has to find a way to improve.
Not defending the mistake, need better communication with D partner, but what I saw was on the Utah breakout Hayton stretched deep, actually deep inside the B's zone and then came back between Carlo and Lindholm. It seemed to surprise Carlo and he immediately locked onto him, briefly taking him out of position. Not sure if it was a set play, but if so it worked.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Remember those days all too well...Sinden didn't eff around, always driven by emotion. 2-3 more games like this and Monty could be toast.

They need some tweaks....dump a Geekie for a pick and sign Johnson, shake up the lines and especially PP ( no more 88 on the first unit, 73 off the 1st unit, put in 6).

Harry would have been in the room after this game breathing scotch-fueled fire.

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
Would love to see Gold free up some Cap space, which would allow Johnson on the team and flexibility to sub in Lysell for Brazzos for a spell.

Create some competion.

Also, since way smarter folks than me see Potsy as having it, give him consistent linemates and give him a real opportunity to grow into 2nd line duty. Yes growing pains. So what. Slots Coyle where he belongs on 3rd line and increases likihood Coyle gets on scoresheet.

Cap inflexibility is a real issue.

Reactions: BMC

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
If Bruins had a Powerplay they would've 2 pt. Play and simple
So far this season the Bruins have lost 5 pts on a terrible PP. For the last 4 effing years.
THANK YOU Chris Kelly
+ 21% in 2021-2022 -: middle pack
+ 22% 2022-2023 and + 40% in PO.
+ 22% 2023-2024

This year is the downgrade 16%.

If I'm correct and maybe I have mistaken my research, those numbers for this year exception stats ain't that bad.

11.4% in 2010-2011......

I personally don't like that!

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021

Not a good look.
I did saw Pierre Pagé do it to Mats Sundin. Did not finish well for Pagé and the Nords.

Marchand is not the Bruins problem, and mistakes happen.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

I was glad to see it. It was time for Monty to unload.

Marchand's been playing this way all season. Same with Pasta. They started trending this way last season. Wonder why the team has no puck management, no teamwork? Their two best players are undisciplined, seemingly unconcerned with how it may affect the rest of the team. Unfortunately, Marchy & Pasta are leading by example.

Brickley mentioned talking to Beecher about his early production. The kid gave a great appraisal. One goal bounced off his knee, another into an empty net. None of his 3 assists came on passes. That seems to sum up the Bruins at this point. Goals are coming despite a lack of ability to make plays. Last night their only goal was a terrible softie. Their luck will run out if they do not improve both effort and execution, decision making and teamwork.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
It freaked me out a bit. I would have waited until the end of the game and talked to Brad alone. It looked desperate to yell at him like that, given Brad’s work ethic since he’s been a Bruin.
The more I think about it, the angrier I get.
Body language.

Monty not even affirmative in the little push. Marchand does not even look at him. This after only 6 games.....

What I've seen there between coach and captain, Ain't a good look.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad