Post-Game Talk: GAME 6 - 6-0-0 - BRUINS 3 Chicago 0

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Just a thought I had during the game last night, does it seem like the league is spoon feeding PPs to the Hawks to anyone else? Looks like they really wanted to get Bedard out on the PP on a few of those calls.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Do you mean the previous season where he played 2 playoff games? Maybe you consider 8 games a large enough sample to decide if a guy is good or not and enough to override his 90 solid regular season games, but I don't, especially when it is clear the caliber of goalie he is capable of being.

There's not even a guarantee he is the starter over Swayman this year come playoff time, but either way he's a hell of an insurance policy.

His sample size is so small because he’s been so abysmal in the games he played that he gets benched and/or ends playoff series early.

His small sample size is a product of his poor performances.

A $5m insurance policy on the bench is a negative asset over $5m that could be spent on an everyday player in the lineup.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBruins

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
You do have to go thru the RS to make the PO and given the uncertainty of this year
you can't blame them for sticking with the remaining strength of the team...its tending.

You realize you can always lose a trade? If you lose a Ullmark\Swayman deal you probably have put yourself in a DNQ position.

Yes, but considering this team leads the NHL in points over the last decade and hasn’t won a cup might signal it’s time to switch up the make up of this team.

They are the only team in the top 5 of points over the last decade to not win a cup.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Yes, but considering this team leads the NHL in points over the last decade and hasn’t won a cup might signal it’s time to switch up the make up of this team.

They are the only team in the top 5 of points over the last decade to not win a cup.

Most of that doesn't lay at the feet of Ullmark\Swayman but there have been some unfortunate things like Covid that played a part. Pretty sure Hedman wasn't going to be available for the 20 PO. It is what it is.

Reactions: BMC and NDiesel

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Anyone know if anyone aside from Bedard played last night? EPSN was going hard for the kid.

Even the interview between benches Marchand's asked about Bedard.

Seriously felt like 40% of the game call was about Bedard, 15% about the Hawks rebuilding, 25% random chit chat, then the rest they maybe called the game.

Ferarro was right about one thing though, holy the B's Powerplay is embarrassing to watch

Glad Lauko's ok. That was scary & guy can't seem to catch a break
I cracked up when during the Frozen Frenzy gimmick ESPN cut over to show Eberle score the GWG for the Kraken and said that Eberle hails from Regina. I knew immediately there would be a Bedard reference. Sure enough, like clockwork, they had to point out that Bedard played for Regina, then reeled off some of his stats there. Had to make a Bedard connection even though the story was about the Kraken-Wings game. Yes, Bedard needs attention and is a great talent, but the fawning is over the top ridiculous.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
What do you consider high end #1C? Top 10 in NHL? How long until he reaches that?

There are lots of #1C that he isn't likely going to slot ahead of over the next 3 years.

McDavid, McKinnon, Hughes, Point, Matthews, Bedard, Aho, Barkov, Stutzle, Larkin, & Eichel for starters. Then you have players such as Fantilli, Carlson (Anaheim) about his age.

Then you have a few other center icemen like Suzuki, Thompson, Couzens, and Hertl you have to think will be as good or better.

Long way to go to start talking like this about him.
For me he looks like he has the potential to be a point a game C. Now that may never happen but he sure looks good.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
A $5m insurance policy on the bench is a negative asset over $5m that could be spent on an everyday player in the lineup.
So I'm assuming in real life you cancel your insurance policy and invest the money instead right? After all a policy that isn't immediately helping you is a negative over what that money can do for you now.

The strength of this team is goaltending and defense. It makes a lot more sense to insure that your team can keep their strength than to marginally increase their forwards - which is also assuming that they will use that $5m on someone who is a positive to the team, stays healthy and performs well in the playoffs, which is not guaranteed.

There is a trade to be made with our goalies, but that's a trade for this offseason, IMO.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Man all this emphasis on "yeah they're 6-0 but look at who they're playing" by media. Negative Nancys.

You still have to win those "gimme" games against lesser teams!!!

Also, 7 goals allowed in 6 games is also proof that this team is a defensive horse.
Yep. Parity in the NHL is such that winning 6 games in a row, no matter who you are playing, is very difficult. Vegas and Col are undefeated as well and haven't exactly faced a murderer's row schedule. Still impressive that there are 3 undefeated teams. Given what the Bs lost in the offseason it is damn impressive that the team has started off 6-0. Having two top-tier goalies is a big deal, and as you point out the team is a defensive horse. The PK 6 games in is almost batting 1.000 -- ridiculous.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
agreed, look at a team like the Pens as one who`ll be next up when it comes to trying to replace Gino and Sid in the not so far distant future. There simply isn`t a succession plan for replacing future HOF candidates.
Sure there is. Tank. Chicago did before and they just did it again. They will get another high pic this year too.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Zacha does not look good on the PP so far, that said it must be quite a change going from right handed Bergy in the bumper all those years to Zacha. A few games ago Marchy gave the puck to the bumper in a perfect spot for a one timer....had he been right handed. Hopefully it's just a bit of a learning curve.

I just think a left handed shot in the bumper Is too easy to defend when Marchand is running the show. Which means the other team can cheat towards Pasta.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I wonder what the Oil would offer us now for JS or LU?
Could be a great time to fleece them.
Personally I don't see what they have, besides picks, that would be worth it. They aren't trading Draisaitl and I'm not convinced RNH isn't a product of who he plays with. Maybe something around McLeod, but he too is a question mark.

If they want to overpay I'm all for it, but I think the better option is to wait until the offseason to trade either.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I just think a left handed shot in the bumper Is too easy to defend when Marchand is running the show. Which means the other team can cheat towards Pasta.ue
I watched all the games this year and our PP is too predictable.
We continue to make poor decisions once we get into the offensive zone / are not moving the puck fast enough and not making the easy pass ( too many cross ice passes from the wall that are getting picked off).
We need to change it up.
We were 11th in the league last year, currently sit at 21st.
Missing Bergy as a RH shot on the PP is not helping.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad