Post-Game Talk: Game #51: Canucks 2, Oilers 1 - Disturbing win by a disturbing team (Lain, Kassian)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wetcoaster

Best post-game fake tweet?

Craig MacTavish ‏@FakeOilersGM
You may think that Zack Kassian got the best of us, but rest assured that there's a very angry letter from Daryl Katz on the way to him.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Tyler Dellow is ranting about Canucks fans being raised on "assault hockey" because he's insulted that Canucks Army poked fun at Edmonton's "Studio Gangsters" last night.

Apparently poking fun at the Oilers for not being very aggressive in inviting Kassian to fight is a particular feature of the pro-neck-breaker brigade in Vancouver ;)

(for what it's worth, I don't really see why the Oilers would really need to pick a fight with Kassian. He was suspended harshly for what he did, and beyond that hasn't done much but beak people during games. Seems like a whole lot of hot air to me. Then again, some people think Kassian should be in court right now, so...)

Wetcoaster

Tyler Dellow is ranting about Canucks fans being raised on "assault hockey" because he's insulted that Canucks Army poked fun at Edmonton's "Studio Gangsters" last night.

Apparently poking fun at the Oilers for not being very aggressive in inviting Kassian to fight is a particular feature of the pro-neck-breaker brigade in Vancouver ;)
He is delusional.

Does he not recall the past editions of the Canucks who turned the other cheek and made teams pay on the PP?

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East

(for what it's worth, I don't really see why the Oilers would really need to pick a fight with Kassian. He was suspended harshly for what he did, and beyond that hasn't done much but beak people during games. Seems like a whole lot of hot air to me. Then again, some people think Kassian should be in court right now, so...)
Gazdic had his chances. Didnt seem all that urgent.

Wetcoaster

Why would Kassian fight Gazdic in a close game where he was one of the best players on the ice and take himself out of the game for a 5 minute a night plug?

Even Eakins got that as he noted in post post game presser.

Wetcoaster

Best quote of the night from Burrows?

Alex Burrows on interim coach Mike Sullivan: "I think Sully is a little bit more rational...than Torts."

Proto

Jan 30, 2010

Nor does it need to be, honestly. Kassian got a pretty stiff punishment for his high stick on Gagner.

I'm more amazed at this notion that Canucks fans are raised on "assault" hockey because of the Bertuzzi/Moore incident. It seems like unsupported trolling more than anything, but he genuinely believes it. I don't follow him on Twitter, but I read an exchange between him and Bruce Arthur a few months ago wherein he contended that the riots are a result of Canucks management, as if there's something intrinsic to Gillis & Co that bleeds out into greater Vancouver. It's really weird.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Continued: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=78504763

kasslove.gif

Too far.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013

It's kind of like us and Duncan Keith, isn't it...

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Why would Kassian fight Gazdic in a close game where he was one of the best players on the ice and take himself out of the game for a 5 minute a night plug?

Even Eakins got that as he noted in post post game presser.

I know that and Kass played it well. Even gave a few pokes such as when he casually went to the crease stopped and stood there after Gazdic tried to run him.

Wetcoaster

Spector points out that being tough is not about fighting and he uses Henrik Sedin as an example of tough player. He must have been taking notes when Tortorella talks about the Sedins.

As he points out there was little in the way of physicality or toughness in the Oilers game against the Canucks.

Canucks capitalize on the Oilers’ soft play

It was about toughness Tuesday night at Rexall Place. Toughness that sat out of the Vancouver Canucks lineup for the first time in 679 games, and toughness that just does not exist in Edmonton’s game anymore.
So the Canucks were free to operate as they always do at Rexall, controlling the play for the first half of the game, despite the loss of their head coach John Tortorella to suspension and captain Henrik Sedin to injury. They are a vastly superior team — as the records make obvious — but as much as this was a movie we’ve seen countless times before, there was a new wrinkle here for all but one of the Canucks.

Only Daniel Sedin had ever played an NHL game without his brother Henrik. Not another player in this Canucks lineup had, before Tuesday night, when Henrik missed his first game since March of 2003.
You want toughness?

“A lot of times, in North America, the perception of what tough is fighting. How big and strong you are,†Bieksa said. “But taking punishment, enduring it. Being durable. Playing through pain and injuries, that’s the definition of tough.

“These guys (the Sedins) don’t shy away from the tough areas. They’re not perimeter players. They’ve made a living playing the cycle, playing in the other team’s end down low. Usually the biggest, baddest defencemen on the other team are taking runs at them They absorb a lot.â€​

Wetcoaster

How do you know they were premeditated?

Deliberate for sure but I wouldn't consider it a 1st degree assault
The NHL thought it was premeditated and retaliation for an earlier check. I agree.

First degree assault???? Apparently you do not grasp the concept of voluntary assumption of risk. The criminal law seldom intrudes upon the arena.

See R. v. McSorley, 2000 BCPC 116
http://canlii.ca/en/bc/bcpc/doc/2000/2000bcpc116/2000bcpc116.html

Also:

Hockey is a fast, vigorous, competitive game involving much body contact. Were the kind of body contact that routinely occurs in a hockey game to occur outside the playing area or on the street, it would, in most cases, constitute an assault to which the sanctions of the criminal law would apply. Patently, when one engages in a hockey game, one accepts that some assaults, which would otherwise be criminal, will occur and consents to such assaults.
~ R. v. Watson, (1975) 26 C.C.C. (2d) 150 at 156

Last edited by a moderator:

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
It's kind of like us and Duncan Keith, isn't it...

Yes, it is a little. Though I don't really want anyone to jump Duncan Keith or anything -- as I've noted, the Canucks lay a hit on him any time they can. Keith's play was a lot more intentional (and, thus, worse) than Kassian's though.

I think most people's issue with Keith is that somehow he doesn't have a reputation as the dirtbag player that he is.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
He is delusional.

Does he not recall the past editions of the Canucks who turned the other cheek and made teams pay on the PP?

He is an intellectually dishonest individual. Alberta in general was raised on and is passionate about having 'assault hockey.'

It's a Canadian desire, too. Toronto wants nothing more than a blue collar team....and I think 'ra ra tough' is what Canucks fans want too, even though I'm not crazy about it.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Didn't ever expect to say something like this, but I wish Wetcoaster had rebutted Dellows properly when he was going on his Kassian legal rant.

What's Dellows, like a 25 year old lawyer?

Topp Spin

STIHL 286
Dec 4, 2010
Alberta
I was at the game and thought Vancouver played well for the first half. The Oilers began to take over half way through the 2nd and ended up outplaying us. Their PP looked great, moved the puck around real well and continually got quality chances. Luongo was fantastic and stole the win.

Lots of Canucks fans at the game and I don't know how it looked/sounded on TV but there were audible 'Go Canucks Go' chants, and lots and lots of 'Luuuu.'

Outside99*

I didn't think Canucks played well overall. No finish. Lu was outstanding. Garrison looked really good, Edler did not. When your top Center man has to play 26 minutes against Oilers, you know the cupboards are bare. Disappointed in Higgins' and Hansen's, they should thrive in a game like this when the roster is so depleted.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I didn't think Canucks played well overall. No finish. Lu was outstanding. Garrison looked really good, Edler did not. When your top Center man has to play 26 minutes against Oilers, you know the cupboards are bare. Disappointed in Higgins' and Hansen's, they should thrive in a game like this when the roster is so depleted.

The cupboards might be bare but they're missing their top center, a potential Top 6 center who was one of the top ES players on the team and a middle 6 center prospect.

If you took those same pieces from the Kings, Ducks or Blackhawks, the result would be very similar.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Andrew Ference is the Oilers captain and a guy that can fight. He should have been the guy to go at Kassian, not some fourth line plug. The fact he didn't is pretty telling about where their team is at.

Wetcoaster

Didn't ever expect to say something like this, but I wish Wetcoaster had rebutted Dellows properly when he was going on his Kassian legal rant.

What's Dellows, like a 25 year old lawyer?
What legal rant? Do you have a link so i can have a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad