GDT: Game 47: Columbus vs. Washington | 1/19 7PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Preds are 1-4-1 with Johansen. That is a very interesting stat.

The Jackets have beaten a very travel weary Toronto and mediocre Colorado team since the trade. They lost twice to a tired and bad Carolina team. They have been drubbed by 3 goals each time against the two decent teams they've played (NYI and WASH). Get used to this. It's tough to compete against the top teams without a #1C.

And if you asked people who watched him play, they'd say that he's been outstanding.

7 points in 6 games. Wrap your brain around that stat.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
The Jackets have beaten a very travel weary Toronto and mediocre Colorado team since the trade. They lost twice to a tired and bad Carolina team. They have been drubbed by 3 goals each time against the two decent teams they've played (NYI and WASH). Get used to this. It's tough to compete against the top teams without a #1C.

And if you asked people who watched him play, they'd say that he's been outstanding.

well go cheer and sing songs on the Nashville board instead of bringing this one down then

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

It's tough to compete against the top teams with your #3 and #4 goaltender. Even with your #1 coming back after not playing for a month. You can spin this either way.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Do you have to bend everything in the same direction?

The Jackets beat the Caps, what, 2 weeks ago? And that Colorado team they beat is in a playoff spot in the Central, that's not nothing. I agree the Carolina losses were an embarrassment. Totally outplayed.

"It's tough to compete against the top teams without a #1C."

Tell me about it. We haven't had one all year.

And I'll take folks word for it that Johansen has been a #1C for Nashville. Good for them. But the relative importance of a #1C to a #1D has been overstated, IMO. Their record could be evidence of that, though it's too early to tell.

vertigo1061

Jan 10, 2016
Do you have to bend everything in the same direction?

The Jackets beat the Caps, what, 2 weeks ago? And that Colorado team they beat is in a playoff spot in the Central, that's not nothing. I agree the Carolina losses were an embarrassment. Totally outplayed.

"It's tough to compete against the top teams without a #1C."

Tell me about it. We haven't had one all year.

And I'll take folks word for it that Johansen has been a #1C for Nashville. Good for them. But the relative importance of a #1C to a #1D has been overstated, IMO. Their record could be evidence of that, though it's too early to tell.

I watched both Nashville-Chicago games and also the Nashville-Winnipeg game since the trade. In the games against Chicago where they have Center depth he really was a non-factor imho. He scored a nice goal against Winnipeg, but I didn't see anything in the three games I watched that made me miss having him. Getting bullied by Hossa and then shooting his mouth off against Winnipeg were big reasons not to miss him, as well. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling the honeymoon with him in Nashville will wear off in a couple weeks and if they don't make the playoffs they are going to regret making that trade.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
it's not Todd Richards fault. It's not John Tortorella's fault and I'm sick of hearing who he's ruining the team.

I didn't say any of these things you're refuting here. I have pretty much laid off the Torts talk since the push-up... thingy. But a poster asked a simple question, "Is this team any better?" The answer is pretty clear to me. It's not. I don't like that that's the answer, but it's an accurate one.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
People are going to look at anyway to spin this trade either incredibly positively or negatively in the direction of the Jackets. Personally, I'm on Cyclones Rock's side, I don't understand how people are pegging Nashville's record with Joey on him when he's been really playing well and producing. I've watched almost all their games, he's really stood out for an offensively starved team. Jones is playing well, so we should feel good too, but bashing Joey for the purpose of making us look better in this deal is not accurate.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
the two games I've seen all he did was float just like here...oh well...its done, i've moved on now...

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Frankly, I don't think any of the CBJ fans here give a darn about what Joey is doing now in Nashville. We now have Jones, a potential Number One Defensive pairing that we have never had in our history, and we are moving forward.

The reason Joey comes up on this board is the continuing grousing of one or two Joey defenders who keep rehashing what is now done and over.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
People are going to look at anyway to spin this trade either incredibly positively or negatively in the direction of the Jackets. Personally, I'm on Cyclones Rock's side, I don't understand how people are pegging Nashville's record with Joey on him when he's been really playing well and producing. I've watched almost all their games, he's really stood out for an offensively starved team. Jones is playing well, so we should feel good too, but bashing Joey for the purpose of making us look better in this deal is not accurate.

Because we are being fed a narrative of this team can't win without a 1C, yet the team we traded a "1C" to can't seem to win either.

IMO, the Joey bashing is more of a subtle "****" to the people dragging this out.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Because we are being fed a narrative of this team can't win without a 1C, yet the team we traded a "1C" to can't seem to win either.

IMO, the Joey bashing is more of a subtle "****" to the people dragging this out.

To be fair there is always an adjustment period. Its almost a proven that you can't win a Stanley cup in the NHL without a proven #1 centerman.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Frankly, I don't think any of the CBJ fans here give a darn about what Joey is doing now in Nashville. We now have Jones, a potential Number One Defensive pairing that we have never had in our history, and we are moving forward.

The reason Joey comes up on this board is the continuing grousing of one or two Joey defenders who keep rehashing what is now done and over.

This was totally predictable and has happened every other time a player of significance has been traded away. I suspect it is not exclusive to the CBJ forum, either.

I will say that there will come a time when the nightly stat updates will need to stop.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
To be fair there is always an adjustment period. Its almost a proven that you can't win a Stanley cup in the NHL without a proven #1 centerman.

I think the Jackets would be more likely to eek out a Bergeron-Krejci out of Wennberg-Dubinsky-Jenner/Foligno than get a (insert worst Stanley Cup D from the last five years) out of JJ-Savard and Murray.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
The way I look at it, who was Johansen making a better player by his play and attitude?

We're a few games with Jones and Murrays play has skyrocketed. To early to tell if it's directly related to Jones or that if it'll continue. But that's a tradeoff I'll take. Yes thee opposing teams can key in on our offensive players like Saad, Atkinson, Foligno and Hartnell, but it also opens up space for the defense to make plays. Which then makes the opposing defense respect the blue line, which opens space back up for our fowards.

Our defensive production(defenseman scoring) has been a huge problem since our playoff run.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
The way I look at it, who was Johansen making a better player by his play and attitude?

Nick Foligno comes to mind. RJ umberger was also a 20 goal scorer on his wing in the past few years here, and has really dropped off since.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Nick Foligno comes to mind. RJ umberger was also a 20 goal scorer on his wing in the past few years here, and has really dropped off since.

Last year yeah, this year the both struggled early and it absolutely killed this team.

And while Joey definitely helped Umby, I think Umby is the reason Umby dropped off. He can't even play decent defensive hockey anymore.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Umberger was on Joey's wing in the lockout year and the year after, two pretty bad seasons for Umby.

The stats from last year show pretty conclusively that Foligno was carrying Joey, not the other way around. Foligno would score regardless of who his center was, while Joey's production without Foligno was mediocre.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus

No doubt.

I still think the front office felt we could get a 1/2D and draft high enough to get someone with more offensive potential that Joey. This team wasn't sniffing a cup as it was.

vertigo1061

Jan 10, 2016
The #1 Center argument is a good one to have, but I think the bigger issue when it came to Joey was is he really a #1 center in this league? Would you feel comfortable having him out on the ice against Toews, Crosby, Getzlaf, Tavares, Malkin, Stamkos, Kopitar, Seguin, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Giroux, Bergeron, Backstrom, Pavelski, Thornton, Koivu, Carter etc etc etc

For me...no. I think I saw enough of his game to make the decision that for me he was a very solid #2 center in this league and if you put great players around him he could play some top line minutes. But he was never going to be that elite center that you build around. Clearly just my opinion.

So moving forward, I am very happy we acquired a guy who so far has looked like a legit top pairing guy who is so young and can contribute to this team for a long time.

Will Joey score some goals and make some great plays? Of course. Tons of talent there. However, he's not a guy I want on the ice defending a 1 goal lead (or to score a clutch goal tbh) to win a playoff series in game 7. Jones is looking like he is.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
The #1 Center argument is a good one to have, but I think the bigger issue when it came to Joey was is he really a #1 center in this league? Would you feel comfortable having him out on the ice against Toews, Crosby, Getzlaf, Tavares, Malkin, Stamkos, Kopitar, Seguin, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Giroux, Bergeron, Backstrom, Pavelski, Thornton, Koivu, Carter etc etc etc

For me...no. I think I saw enough of his game to make the decision that for me he was a very solid #2 center in this league and if you put great players around him he could play some top line minutes. But he was never going to be that elite center that you build around. Clearly just my opinion.

So moving forward, I am very happy we acquired a guy who so far has looked like a legit top pairing guy who is so young and can contribute to this team for a long time.

Will Joey score some goals and make some great plays? Of course. Tons of talent there. However, he's not a guy I want on the ice defending a 1 goal lead (or to score a clutch goal tbh) to win a playoff series in game 7. Jones is looking like he is.

His first two seasons in the NHL he was the guy taking those matchups, so yes. I remember when he played Jumbo Joe for the first time the coach had to make adjustments to get him away from Joey because he was that effective at shutting him down.

Outside of this year, he actually compares quite well to Toews. Toews has slightly better numbers. But he really is a #1. The problem lies in his head I think. Everyone can see theres clearly a 6th gear. For some reason he likes to cruise around in 4th.

Hes 70-80pt player in his prime. He COULD be a 80-90 pt center though.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Outside of this year, he actually compares quite well to Toews. Toews has slightly better numbers. But he really is a #1. The problem lies in his head I think. Everyone can see theres clearly a 6th gear. For some reason he likes to cruise around in 4th.

Other than Toews has posted better numbers (year by year) and is a leader on a perennial Stanley Cup team...then yeah, totally comparable.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Other than Toews has posted better numbers (year by year) and is a leader on a perennial Stanley Cup team...then yeah, totally comparable.

One player had a team built correctly around him, and he also had some help with some scrub named Kane.

Jackets have never had the goal scorer of Kanes abilities, a defenseman of Keiths abilities or any kind of consistent goaltending.

And when it comes to scoring they are pretty even, Jonathan has only had 1 season where hes scored more than Joey.

The only place where Toews is unquestionably better is his F/O abilities and his intangibles. If Joey put in the effort he could be on the same level as Toews.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
His first two seasons in the NHL he was the guy taking those matchups, so yes. I remember when he played Jumbo Joe for the first time the coach had to make adjustments to get him away from Joey because he was that effective at shutting him down.

Ah yes, when Joey actually played defence. He was a good defensive forward, and then he switched to being a good offensive forward. Never the twain shall meet.

To be both, you have to skate, a lot. That's the trouble with the two-way game, it requires effort.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad