GDT: Game 46: Wild @ Coyotes - 6:00pm (AZ) - BSAZ+, 910 AM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
It seemed like very disorganized and sloppy play by the Coyotes to me. Also, I saw lots of laziness in Kessels play ( have another donut phil) . I think the Coyotes have enough talent... they just have horse pucky coaching.

Reactions: Surfshop and lanky

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
What do you mean? Not that I disagree but just wondering your interpretation of it.

Housley encourages them to hold a defensive shape and just generally clog up the slot in a box formation. They end up covering ice, not opposing players or the passing lanes. It encourages players to be 'dumb' and wait for the other team to do something because it's passive by nature. It suppresses the instincts of good players because they're not supposed to wander outside of the defensive shape.

This would be great in lower leagues where defensive ability generally outstrips offensive skill and execution. But not in the NHL.

A team that is comfortable passing it across the slot like the Wild can absolutely kills the Coyotes. That's supposed to be a low percentage pass, but teams are finding it easy and converting, largely because guys are just glued to their designated spots (the two D especially). You'll also see times where there are 4 Coyotes roughly around an opposing forward but nobody is actually covering him, leading to a one timer/shot off a pass from below the goal line.

Good teams use a more active 'wedge' approach that closes down the ice around the puck carrier and limits their options. It will occasionally cough up a golden chance but that's preferable to simply waiting and allowing the other team to do whatever they want. You would normally never want the opposing team to feel comfortable in your zone but the Coyotes seem super eager to allow that.

Teams just tilt the ice relentlessly 5v5 because it's by design. The Coyotes coach the players to allow it, and to wait for a turnover, rather than actively taking the game to the other team. Only when they get down do they 'green light' what is otherwise normal play for other teams, usually leading to some sort of comeback. It's often not enough.

Last edited:

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Housley encourages them to hold a defensive shape and just generally clog up the slot in a box formation. They end up covering ice, not opposing players or the passing lanes. It encourages players to be 'dumb' and wait for the other team to do something because it's passive by nature. It suppresses the instincts of good players because they're not supposed to wander outside of the defensive shape.

This would be great in lower leagues where defensive ability generally outstrips offensive skill and execution. But not in the NHL.
I don't have a background in any of these tactics, so I'm just positing here to see your thoughts. Wouldn't the counter to this being a lower-league strategy be that the Coyotes are unskilled and therefore they'd get beaten in 1-on-1 coverage leading to more chances against from all over the ice. This may cede particular ice if the opposing team is capable of making those types of passes, but could it be that it makes the chances generated more predictable and perhaps in some way this is preferred for the goalies who are playing with the expectation of having to make that save rather than something unpredictable because of breakdown elsewhere?

I guess what I'm getting at is that this might not be the best defense for the Coyotes because of their skill-gap, and that if they did try that, they'd really struggle with it, giving up more higher danger chances than they do now. To add to that, without being able to sustain time in the offensive zone, they are going to have to play more defense, and playing zone defense requires less energy, so this could really be chosen because of inability to score and provide relief to the defense.

Anyway, I could be way off base on any of my assumptions, but thought I'd prod you for more as myself and others seem to like the tactically discussion. I know I'll be checking out this guy's playlists on team tactics later.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I don't have a background in any of these tactics, so I'm just positing here to see your thoughts. Wouldn't the counter to this being a lower-league strategy be that the Coyotes are unskilled and therefore they'd get beaten in 1-on-1 coverage leading to more chances against from all over the ice. This may cede particular ice if the opposing team is capable of making those types of passes, but could it be that it makes the chances generated more predictable and perhaps in some way this is preferred for the goalies who are playing with the expectation of having to make that save rather than something unpredictable because of breakdown elsewhere?

The Coyotes may not have a lot of raw shooting talent or dangle ability but those things are very low on the offensive totem pole. Most teams work all game to generate a handful of good, clean looks that even 4th liners are expected to put away if they get a good enough chance.

The vast majority of defense is not 1 on 1 skill, size, or strength. It's gap control (the Avs are amazing at this). The Coyotes do not have a lot of strength up front but they do have speed, and players that are more than capable of reading the play. When you ask guys to just stand around in a box and maybe block a shot, you are wasting a lot of their strengths. Anyone can do that job. Players that don't belong in this league can do that job because the focus is so narrow.

Imagine if you banned Michael Grabner from ever jumping a passing lane. He'd never score goals. You'd never want to do that, but I find myself shaking my head at the inactive coverage sometimes. This choice also greatly limits their counter-attack potential and hinders breakouts. If it feels like the Coyotes absolutely never have anything going unless the other team turns it over in their own zone or at their own blueline, you are correct.

Think of it in terms of how 'fast' a team rotates and attempts to close gaps. The more you are in motion, the more reward the other way, but also the degree of risk in your own end. The problem here is that the Coyotes are not even reaping the full benefits of the box, due to the other team 'solving' the box and poor execution of the box (bad body position and stick control of the opposition).

Yes, in theory, a passive box is like playing the percentages like a goalie would. The problem is that at the NHL level, against a team with any sort of confidence or flow going, it gets blown apart. The skill rises to the level necessary to 'solve' collapsing, passive box defensive schemes. This style was very en vogue 5 or so years ago, but the top end teams left it behind. They found that the right balance usually means pressing all the time.

This questionable play carries over to the PK:
e0yqzUq.jpg

Now, it's not always possible to press on the PK because you're tired, but notice the position of the two forwards here.

Are they in position to contest the shot? No.
Are they in the best position to block the shot? No.
Are they close enough to the net front to help in time if there's a rebound? No.
Are they even close enough to the wings (especially the RW) to contest? Not really

The D are outnumbered too. Neither of them have body position, or are in position to really control the forward in front of Kuemper. Demers is at least covering the half wall option, but Goligoski straight up leaves his post, even as the shot is coming in.

It's 100% passive and relies on Kuemper making a clean save.

They aren't executing the neutral zone concepts smartly, either. Witness:

Craig blamed this on Dvorak (yes, his change is slow), but more importantly... what the hell is 33 doing here? It's a 3v2 at best in the middle of a change and at no point is Garland going to get possession, so why is Goose holding the red line? He doesn't even particularly go hard either. By the time Garland realizes this it's too late. 2v1, Chychrun doesn't get a piece, it's in.

I doubt the system calls for Goligoski to make that 'read'. But if it does, your system is trash and you should feel bad.

Here's the Fiala goal at the moment the pass is released:
tEH1fIH.jpg

Look at this blow the box apart. Goligoski and Crouse are actually beat by their guy 90 (Johansson). They don't have good position.

But the pass doesn't go there. It goes across. Someone want to tell me what Dvorak is covering on this play at the moment? He's just standing in his spot, rigidly. Fischer's guy is so far out of frame he has nothing to do on this play. Bush actually has good position here but the Wild player ends up fighting enough to help screen on the shot. If this is a set play by the Wild to draw the strongside forward inward to open up a seam, it works well.

The coaching they are receiving is suspect in terms of implementation and philosophical choice. The execution is also extremely suspect, likely due to the former. This is not a well coached team.

Last edited:

SCT

May 6, 2015
Fischer’s stick is in the wrong lane in that goal. Needs to be protecting the middle of the ice.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
The Coyotes may not have a lot of raw shooting talent or dangle ability but those things are very low on the offensive totem pole. Most teams work all game to generate a handful of good, clean looks that even 4th liners are expected to put away if they get a good enough chance.

The vast majority of defense is not 1 on 1 skill, size, or strength. It's gap control (the Avs are amazing at this). The Coyotes do not have a lot of strength up front but they do have speed, and players that are more than capable of reading the play. When you ask guys to just stand around in a box and maybe block a shot, you are wasting a lot of their strengths. Anyone can do that job. Players that don't belong in this league can do that job because the focus is so narrow.

Imagine if you banned Michael Grabner from ever jumping a passing lane. He'd never score goals. You'd never want to do that, but I find myself shaking my head at the inactive coverage sometimes. This choice also greatly limits their counter-attack potential and hinders breakouts. If it feels like the Coyotes absolutely never have anything going unless the other team turns it over in their own zone or at their own blueline, you are correct.

Think of it in terms of how 'fast' a team rotates and attempts to close gaps. The more you are in motion, the more reward the other way, but also the degree of risk in your own end. The problem here is that the Coyotes are not even reaping the full benefits of the box, due to the other team 'solving' the box and poor execution of the box (bad body position and stick control of the opposition).

Yes, in theory, a passive box is like playing the percentages like a goalie would. The problem is that at the NHL level, against a team with any sort of confidence or flow going, it gets blown apart. The skill rises to the level necessary to 'solve' collapsing, passive box defensive schemes. This style was very en vogue 5 or so years ago, but the top end teams left it behind. They found that the right balance usually means pressing all the time.

e0yqzUq.jpg

Now, it's not always possible to press on the PK because you're tired, but notice the position of the two forwards here.

Are they close enough to the net front to help in time if there's a rebound? No.
Are they even close enough to the wings (especially the RW) to contest? Not really

The D are outnumbered too. Neither of them have body position, or are in position to really control the forward in front of Kuemper. Demers is at least covering the half wall option, but Goligoski straight up leaves his post, even as the shot is coming in.

Craig blamed this on Dvorak (yes, his change is slow), but more importantly... what the hell is 33 doing here? It's a 3v2 at best in the middle of a change and at no point is Garland going to get possession, so why is Goose holding the red line? He doesn't even particularly go hard either. By the time Garland realizes this it's too late. 2v1, Chychrun doesn't get a piece, it's in.

I doubt the system calls for Goligoski to make that 'read'. But if it does, your system is trash and you should feel bad.

tEH1fIH.jpg

Look at this blow the box apart. Goligoski and Crouse are actually beat by their guy 90 (Johansson). They don't have good position.

But the pass doesn't go there. It goes across. Someone want to tell me what Dvorak is covering on this play at the moment? He's just standing in his spot, rigidly. Fischer's guy is so far out of frame he has nothing to do on this play. Bush actually has good position here but the Wild player ends up fighting enough to help screen on the shot. If this is a set play by the Wild to draw the strongside forward inward to open up a seam, it works well.

The coaching they are receiving is suspect in terms of implementation and philosophical choice. The execution is also extremely suspect, likely due to the former. This is not a well coached team.

I want to see Nick Schmaltz playing center on this team for a different coaching staff for a little while before we trade him. That’s just me.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Only 87 replies on the thread. Have we reached peak apathy? Nah.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't find the Coyotes fun to watch right now. It feels more like a school assignment - "Be sure and watch this until the end, because there will be a quiz afterward."

I find myself watching the games and hoping they don't cut to Tocchet, because his look of always being two steps behind what's going on on the ice infuriates me. Maybe he just has "Resting Confused Face," I dunno, but he always looks like a guy who's too proud to wear hearing aids but is still trying to hear what people are saying.

The players rarely seem happy to be skating, much less playing. For Dvorak, that's just because he's essentially a robot, but most of the rest all look tired, no matter how much rest they got between games. For the Leighton game, it was almost as if they realized at the end of the first period, "Oh yeah, we have to win tonight." Like it was an annoyance that they'd have to find extra motivation. And yeah, this is all how it looks to me rather than being what's really going on, but at the same time the appearance is making it difficult to stay invested.

I miss Doan. I always felt like (at least until his final few years when he was saddled with horrible teams and all his friends kept getting traded) Doan went out onto the ice grateful that he got to play the game, and his team responded in kind. When OEL goes out there, it's like seeing a co-worker at a cubicle farm saying, "Mondays, amirite?"

That's what it's like for me. Maybe I'm the only one.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
So pumped for a completely different roster/coaching staff next year. Watching the same team for 4-5 years has been exhausting.
This is a RT's coached team. A poorly coached team. I know we need more talent, but this team is so underachieving it's sad to watch. RT doesn't make in game adjustments, he seems to stick with whatever game plan he starts with and that's it. This team is so inconsistent, anywhere from world beaters one night to AHL type play the next. Love to see what a new coach could do.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I want to see Nick Schmaltz playing center on this team for a different coaching staff for a little while before we trade him. That’s just me.
I really don't think Schmaltz is a everyday C, but because of our crappy C depth we are forcing him to play C. But I would be more than happy to try him at C with a different coaching staff.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't know about anyone else, but I don't find the Coyotes fun to watch right now. It feels more like a school assignment - "Be sure and watch this until the end, because there will be a quiz afterward."

I find myself watching the games and hoping they don't cut to Tocchet, because his look of always being two steps behind what's going on on the ice infuriates me. Maybe he just has "Resting Confused Face," I dunno, but he always looks like a guy who's too proud to wear hearing aids but is still trying to hear what people are saying.

The players rarely seem happy to be skating, much less playing. For Dvorak, that's just because he's essentially a robot, but most of the rest all look tired, no matter how much rest they got between games. For the Leighton game, it was almost as if they realized at the end of the first period, "Oh yeah, we have to win tonight." Like it was an annoyance that they'd have to find extra motivation. And yeah, this is all how it looks to me rather than being what's really going on, but at the same time the appearance is making it difficult to stay invested.

I miss Doan. I always felt like (at least until his final few years when he was saddled with horrible teams and all his friends kept getting traded) Doan went out onto the ice grateful that he got to play the game, and his team responded in kind. When OEL goes out there, it's like seeing a co-worker at a cubicle farm saying, "Mondays, amirite?"

For christ sake don't blame OEL. It's a team sport, and I suspect most respect each other, doubtful the same is true for the coaching staff. Doan is Doan, we will not see another C like him on the Yotes.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack

I miss Doan. When OEL goes out there, it's like seeing a co-worker at a cubicle farm saying, "Mondays, amirite?"

I could not agree more. That’s why I’ve lately been going straight up drooling mental patient about bringing in violent, passionate players, despite any glaring red flags. It’s just a response to the general apathy I’ve witnessed from this team the last four years. Really, since they quit on Tippett two years before that. It’s been six years of sleepwalking.

I agree, too, that it’s most apparent with OEL. He’s like watching the film Pleasantville on rewind. He went from this vibrant, technicolor, brilliant player to this black-and-white, muted, repressed, emotionless automaton.

I was honestly worried a year or two ago that he might be suffering from depression and/or some substance problems. I’m no longer worried about that based on some things I’ve seen and heard. So that’s good. But I am left wondering “What the f***?!?”.

Was it Tippett getting fired? Was it Doan being unceremoniously dumped? Was it the death of his mother? Was the hiring of Tocchet? Was it the new big mega contract? Was it not getting the captaincy? Or was it later getting the captaincy?

Or is it just the near decade of disappointing seasons from losing teams that just can’t figure anything out and never seem to make any real, sustainable progress just piling up on his head and weighing him down?

I guess it’s multiple or even all of those things. But this is a shell of a player. Lucky for us, he was once such a special player, that even his dried out husk is still a very solid top four defenseman. But it’s been a real shame to lose what he once was. And we don’t even get to properly mourn our loss because he’s still hanging around in this un-dead, zombie-state.

So typically Coyotes. We should just say f*** it and change the name to the Arizona Murphy’s Laws.

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020

e0yqzUq.jpg

tEH1fIH.jpg

Excellent. Thanks. Fire Tocchet!!

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

cobra427

May 6, 2012
This is a RT's coached team. A poorly coached team. I know we need more talent, but this team is so underachieving it's sad to watch. RT doesn't make in game adjustments, he seems to stick with whatever game plan he starts with and that's it. This team is so inconsistent, anywhere from world beaters one night to AHL type play the next. Love to see what a new coach could do.
Under achieving and inconsistent team, the mark of RT. More talent isn't the main problem.

Reactions: Jakey53 and 0point1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad