GDT: Game 44: Avs @ Rangers | 17:30 MT | 01/07/2020 | Mob Edition

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
No, what's incredibly dumb is winning a face-off and dumping it in when you already have control, and asking your best player to go and get it when he's got an absurd amount of time and space on the right side of the ice.

What you described isn't even remotely similar to this face-off play. MacKinnon had the puck stolen because he was surrounded by 4 players.
I seem to think that dumping the puck was the good move here. Yes they won the faceoff but what you're explaining with Mack getting surrounded by 4 players is the reason why you want to dump the puck. Our PP had already such a hard time entering in the zone when they started their rush on their own end with speed so now that they're near the center line it's harder to get your speed to carry all the way in the zone. Let's also not forget a 6v5 is harder for a zone entry than it is in a 5v4 PP.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Or.... Just have the basic understanding that the season is 82 games long, not 5.

It's really not that hard. The team is still 2nd in the West. The sky is not falling.
The sky on our special teams fell long a go. If this isn't corrected soon, we'll be eyeing that wildcard before long.

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
Teams unraveling. Until hes traded, Jost should be firing up dabs for the boys at the end of the bench. Gru might be beside him holding the torch if he doesn't start stopping pucks.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Except, the way they look, 'tis at least a dark and stormy night for them.

Right, like I said earlier this is HF boards where people literally forget what the team looked like a week ago when they were stomping the Blues. Or when they convincingly beat the Devils. Or when they played a hard fought, 1-0 loss that they deserved to win literally 24 hours ago.

They had a bad game on the 2nd night of a B2B where our goalie had a less than stellar performance.

Yeah, sky is falling :rolleyes:

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Or.... Just have the basic understanding that the season is 82 games long, not 5.

It's really not that hard. The team is still 2nd in the West. The sky is not falling.
It’s not the results, it’s the process. Not playing hard. Same mistakes being repeated over and over. Lack of stucture. If you like what you are seeing, good for you.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I have no problem if anybody wants to blame Grubauer, but you better blame every single player on the powerplay (including MacKinnon) before blaming Grubs.

Other than maybe JTC, no one is blame free tonight.

We don't really have the calming presence on this team, that guy that can slow the game back down when the Avs get scrambly. MacK is an amazing talent, but right now he's a hype man, he's that guy that can turn the game around at a moments notice. However, he and his mentality aren't really conducive to slowing things down and the getting the team to take that deep breath. We really, really need a top tier shutdown guy, forward or defensemen I don't care.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
All I can say is effort level was pure trash tonight. Easily the worst effort of the season. I can tolerate losses, but when effort is garbage I can't tolerate that. No excuses for that one.

Landy and Rantanen are trash right now, even the announcers made note of it tonight. We are ****ed if those two can't find semblance of tolerable play. I'm getting really sick and tired of writing the same thing about these two after every game. Get better or get **** out of here

Grubauer should be stapled to the bench for a long while, just inexcusable goals againat tonight.

EJ, Cole terrible.

Makar worst game I've seen him play by a mile.

Compher nice game. MacK was fine tough to be noticeable when you have two anchors holding you back. Bura was decent. Outside that not much.

Got to give props to Kadri for that beatdown, that guy deserved his face getting rearranged. Nice to see someone stick up for a teammate for a change. We don't do that often. We need to do it more often.

All I can say is this team needs an attitude adjustment. They are lazy sacks of **** right now, and it starts from your leaders when they look like they don't give a **** like Landy has all ****ing season, it's contagious and flows throughout the team.

That’s one thing that bothers me...their teammate takes a headshot and it got a total of one player fired up. I feel like Bednar maybe has this team playing too passive and even keel. I just wish this team had more of a fire in their coach. Say what you will about Roy as a coach but he at least knew how to work with a team and get them playing.

kl35ha

Oct 19, 2017
Well I hope Z is ok but he seem to have lost all of his physicality play. Without it his just isn’t effective, seriously hope he isn’t broken because of being afraid to get bench and what not...

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Maybe the Avs should go back to being injured again, they played much better then

kl35ha

Oct 19, 2017
Rant was good on the third line put his butt back there. PP was so much better when Landy and were on different unit.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
That’s one thing that bothers me...their teammate takes a headshot and it got a total of one player fired up. I feel like Bednar maybe has this teams playing too passive and even keel. I just wish this team had more of a fire in their coach. Say what you will about Roy as a coach but he at least knew how to work with a team and get them playing.
Right how does that not fire you up? Cheap shot then you see your teammate beat that guy to a pulp, and we actually get worse from there. Unexplainable.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I seem to think that dumping the puck was the good move here. Yes they won the faceoff but what you're explaining with Mack getting surrounded by 4 players is the reason why you want to dump the puck. Our PP had already such a hard time entering in the zone when they started their rush on their own end with speed so now that they're near the center line it's harder to get your speed to carry all the way in the zone. Let's also not forget a 6v5 is harder for a zone entry than it is in a 5v4 PP.
Again, I disagree. This is right after the Avs win the face-off. Landeskog pushes the puck right back to Makar, all Rantanen has to do is tie up Panarin and Makar can swing the puck wide to MacKinnon, who is now looking at a 1-on-1 zone entry instead of a 1-on-4 zone entry when he lost the puck later on.

I can see the merits towards dumping a puck in when you're struggling to enter, but there was so clearly a play to be made here that didn't involve a 50/50 chance at puck retrieval from a dump in. Even if MacKinnon doesn't lose his footing, Skjei is getting to that puck first 100% unless he completely whiffs it.

Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 8.30.18 PM.png

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
I mean... Need net front presence, someone with size and speed to push dmen back who isn't named MacKinnon, and a calming vet....

Kreider just sounds like a perfect fit.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
That’s one thing that bothers me...their teammate takes a headshot and it got a total of one player fired up. I feel like Bednar maybe has this teams playing too passive and even keel. I just wish this team had more of a fire in their coach. Say what you will about Roy as a coach but he at least knew how to work with a team and get them playing.
Roy was the architect of so many come from behind wins in his short stint. He knew how to motivate but thats about it. I wish Jared could inspire the same way Roy did. Jared is the better coach but I wish he could get these young guys going. Yes tonight was a back to back but this aint no old team. They should have been able to roll through the Rangers one of the worse defensive teams who was starting a rookie goalie.

Reactions: forsbergavs32

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
This team clearly has no confidence in Grubauer not unlike last season around this time. He cant make a save when one is needed, cant track the puck and just got out played by a rookie who looked shaky and STILL played better than Grubauer.

The only players who thought were good tonight were Girard and Compher. Bura had a few apples but I wouldnt say he was good. Passable.

Rantanen and Landeskog were downright brutal. Terrible decisions all over the ice with or without the puck. Rantanen has been consistent at being inconsistent. He will have a good game and then go 5 games not doing much of anything. Thought he was absolutely brutal on the PP tonight as he is most nights.

Makar had a bad game but you know what thats going to happen to a 21 yr old rookie dman. This is why it sucks that there is no damn buffer ahead of Makar. Makar has to be the guy in his first season. Seems unfair.

Its time to move on from Erik Johnson. It truly is. The Avs need to come to terms with the fact that he can no longer be a top 4 in this league. He doesnt have the legs anymore to do it. He can be a very good bottom pairing guy for this team but his days of being a minute munching dman are over. Figure it out. Trade him or trade for a top 4 so EJ can play soft minutes.

Really wish Panarin would have picked us. Guy is so good in tight spaces.

Our special teams once again failed us. Thats both the PK and the PP. More so the PP tonight since they went 0 for and generated next to nothing. The problem on the PP is simple. Passing. They cant pass the puck with or without pressure from the PK. EVERY single team plays an aggressive style when we are on the PP. Maybe because they know that it forces the Avs into making bad passes. I dont know what it is but its been bad from day one. People were saying in game 5 that it was too early to call out the PP but here we are half way through the season and the PP has looked as bad as it did from opening night.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Well I hope Z is ok but he seem to have lost all of his physicality play. Without it his just isn’t effective, seriously hope he isn’t broken because of being afraid to get bench and what not...

I think that's definitely part of it. Bednar has ruined Z.

Z makes one bad decision he is benched but Cole can make 5 a game and nothing.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Every team goes through rough patches and the season is super long, losing the last two isn't anything to worthy about. However, we have to realise that this team before the St. Louis Blues game still lost 5 out of the last 6...so we're at like 2 wins in our last 8 if I didn't miss any games, that's a tanking record if you didn't tell me we were already in a playoff position.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Again, I disagree. This is right after the Avs win the face-off. Landeskog pushes the puck right back to Makar, all Rantanen has to do is tie up Panarin and Makar can swing the puck wide to MacKinnon, who is now looking at a 1-on-1 zone entry instead of a 1-on-4 zone entry when he lost the puck later on.

I can see the merits towards dumping a puck in when you're struggling to enter, but there was so clearly a play to be made here that didn't involve a 50/50 chance at puck retrieval from a dump in. Even if MacKinnon doesn't lose his footing, Skjei is getting to that puck first 100% unless he completely whiffs it.

View attachment 304497
Maybe the play was to get it to Mackinnon but Makar made a panic dump lol. I had my hands in the air when Makar did that. Like you called a timeout to make that play? And then to boot Mackinnon slips and falls at the blue line and the Ranger d gets the puck out

Reactions: dahrougem2

kl35ha

Oct 19, 2017
Maybe the Avs should go back to being injured again, they played much better then

They play a much more simple game then. Since Landy and Rant came back it like they just try to play an all skills game which lead to dumb decisions and massive turn over in the o zone

Reactions: the_fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad