GDT: Game 44: Avs @ Rangers | 17:30 MT | 01/07/2020 | Mob Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
That was a sloppy game but the Avs played well enough to win. Seems like people are already beating this drum, but Grubauer has been shaky.

He's down to a .909 SV% on the season, and he's lost 6-of-8 starts (2-5-1). He's now 12-10-3 on the season, despite starting 5-0-1.

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
I blame bednar for putting Landy and Rant together with Mack. Those two ruining everything with dumb decisions and turning the puck over.

That's what I was wondering... only seeing a few mins, were Landy and Rants anchors for MacK?

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
Few questions now after the last 10ish games..
Should we fire our defense coach?
Can we win it all with our goal tending?
I wonder how much Macks vibes affect the team when hes so furious

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Anyways...

I'm sure HF will do its usual the sky is falling act after that game. Gruby was trash. The team was pretty clearly gassed. 2nd night of a difficult B2B after a very hard fought game last night, its understandable.

They still probably could have squeezed out 2 points if Grubauer would have made even just a couple key saves.

Disagree completely.

You have Nathan MacKinnon on the ice lined up on the far side, you win that draw you have to get him that puck to enter the zone with control. You don't dump the puck in.

That's incredibly dumb. You dont try and force the puck in on a 6 on 5. It never works. You have to dump the puck, get it in deep and be hounds after the Dmen.

We literally saw 20 seconds later exactly what happens when you try and force the puck in on a 6 on 5 instead of just dumping it. Mack lost the puck and it was in the back of our net 5 seconds later.

Hell even the play that led to the offsides in the first place came because the dummies tried to carry the puck in instead of just dumping it and chasing hard after it and the Rangers just collapsed on them in the neutral zone and forced the offsides.

It is so, so easy to defend when teams try to carry the puck in on a 6 on 5. Bednar recognized that and drew up the right play. Mack just fell and didn't get into the zone in time to stop the zone exit. But it was absolutely the right play design.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
That was a sloppy game but the Avs played well enough to win. Seems like people are already beating this drum, but Grubauer has been shaky.

He's down to a .909 SV% on the season, and he's lost 6-of-8 starts (2-5-1). He's now 12-10-3 on the season, despite starting 5-0-1.
Disagree. I don't think they played well at all. Thought that after the 2-0 goal by MacKinnon, the Rangers were the better team the rest of the way.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I have no problem if anybody wants to blame Grubauer, but you better blame every single player on the powerplay (including MacKinnon) before blaming Grubs.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Anyways...

I'm sure HF will do its usual the sky is falling act after that game. Gruby was trash. The team was pretty clearly gassed. 2nd night of a difficult B2B after a very hard fought game last night, its understandable.

They still probably could have squeezed out 2 points if Grubauer would have made even just a couple key saves.

That's incredibly dumb. You dont try and force the puck in on a 6 on 5. It never works. You have to dump the puck, get it in deep and be hounds after the Dmen.

We literally saw 20 seconds later exactly what happens when you try and force the puck in on a 6 on 5 instead of just dumping it. Mack lost the puck and it was in the back of our net 5 seconds later.

Hell even the play that led to the offsides in the first place came because the dummies tried to carry the puck in instead of just dumping it and chasing hard after it and the Rangers just collapsed on them in the neutral zone and forced the offsides.

It is so, so easy to defend when teams try to carry the puck in on a 6 on 5. Bednar recognized that and drew up the right play. Mack just fell and didn't get into the zone in time to stop the zone exit. But it was absolutely the right play design.
No, what's incredibly dumb is winning a face-off and dumping it in when you already have control, and asking your best player to go and get it when he's got an absurd amount of time and space on the right side of the ice.

What you described isn't even remotely similar to this face-off play. MacKinnon had the puck stolen because he was surrounded by 4 players.

kl35ha

Oct 19, 2017
I’d move TJC up to top six and pp1 unit. He’s finding his game atm. Put Landy back on 2nd pp unit cause he just sucks.

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014

Been sayin' it since last year... coaching not up to par. It just ain't clicking imnsho...

kl35ha

Oct 19, 2017

I’d fire our special teams coaches first and start from there

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
This team clearly has no confidence in Grubauer not unlike last season around this time. He cant make a save when one is needed, cant track the puck and just got out played by a rookie who looked shaky and STILL played better than Grubauer.

The only players who thought were good tonight were Girard and Compher. Bura had a few apples but I wouldnt say he was good. Passable.

Rantanen and Landeskog were downright brutal. Terrible decisions all over the ice with or without the puck. Rantanen has been consistent at being inconsistent. He will have a good game and then go 5 games not doing much of anything. Thought he was absolutely brutal on the PP tonight as he is most nights.

Makar had a bad game but you know what thats going to happen to a 21 yr old rookie dman. This is why it sucks that there is no damn buffer ahead of Makar. Makar has to be the guy in his first season. Seems unfair.

Its time to move on from Erik Johnson. It truly is. The Avs need to come to terms with the fact that he can no longer be a top 4 in this league. He doesnt have the legs anymore to do it. He can be a very good bottom pairing guy for this team but his days of being a minute munching dman are over. Figure it out. Trade him or trade for a top 4 so EJ can play soft minutes.

Really wish Panarin would have picked us. Guy is so good in tight spaces.

Our special teams once again failed us. Thats both the PK and the PP. More so the PP tonight since they went 0 for and generated next to nothing. The problem on the PP is simple. Passing. They cant pass the puck with or without pressure from the PK. EVERY single team plays an aggressive style when we are on the PP. Maybe because they know that it forces the Avs into making bad passes. I dont know what it is but its been bad from day one. People were saying in game 5 that it was too early to call out the PP but here we are half way through the season and the PP has looked as bad as it did from opening night.

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
Or.... Just have the basic understanding that the season is 82 games long, not 5.

It's really not that hard. The team is still 2nd in the West. The sky is not falling.

Except, the way they look, 'tis at least a dark and stormy night for them.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
All I can say is effort level was pure trash tonight. Easily the worst effort of the season. I can tolerate losses, but when effort is garbage I can't tolerate that. No excuses for that one.

Landy and Rantanen are trash right now, even the announcers made note of it tonight. We are f***ed if those two can't find semblance of tolerable play. I'm getting really sick and tired of writing the same thing about these two after every game. Get better or get f*** out of here

Grubauer should be stapled to the bench for a long while, just inexcusable goals againat tonight.

EJ, Cole terrible.

Makar worst game I've seen him play by a mile.

Compher nice game. MacK was fine tough to be noticeable when you have two anchors holding you back. Bura was decent. Outside that not much.

Got to give props to Kadri for that beatdown, that guy deserved his face getting rearranged. Nice to see someone stick up for a teammate for a change. We don't do that often. We need to do it more often.

All I can say is this team needs an attitude adjustment. They are lazy sacks of shit right now, and it starts from your leaders when they look like they don't give a shit like Landy has all f***ing season, it's contagious and flows throughout the team.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Girard, Compher, and Bura were great.

And Nuke was Nuke. Dude just doesn't have bad games either. The rest weren't good. Some of them were visibly just gassed though. Especially the Defense.

I actually thought Jost had a decent game overall as well. Mind you decent by his standards is below average for most guys on the team but hey... Its the little wins that matter.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
we have 3 wins in the last 10? I think we been sucking since early December.
tenor.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad