New arenas

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
With Sudbury and Brantford planning new arenas is their other cities planning ones or renovation.
Owen Sound should start seeing some renovations happen over the next decade with the renewed lease made with the city and the Attack.

The new lease was signed April 29th of this year and now gives the team and the city a decade to continue forward to with additional upgrades to the J.D. MacArthur Arena inside the Harry Lumley Bayshore Community Centre. What that would include hasn't been announced but I would think the replacement of the boards and glass would be part of any renovation project that may materialize in that time frame.

Reactions: three dog night

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Ottawa will have a new one soon. They are about to enter Phase II of the Lansdowne Project. The North Side Stands of the football stadium will be torn down. Those stands form the foundation of the arena roof. The new arena will be constructed beyond the East end zone of the stadium. The new North Side Stands will be erected more steep. Then they will erect the mixed use Commercial/Residential Condo Buildings.

The first stage of that new phase will be to build the arena. Expected completion in during the 2027-28 season.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Ottawa will have a new one soon. They are about to enter Phase II of the Lansdowne Project. The North Side Stands of the football stadium will be torn down. Those stands form the foundation of the arena roof. The new arena will be constructed beyond the East end zone of the stadium. The new North Side Stands will be erected more steep. Then they will erect the mixed use Commercial/Residential Condo Buildings.

The first stage of that new phase will be to build the arena. Expected completion in during the 2027-28 season.
Curious have they announced seating capacity for the new arena yet?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Curious have they announced seating capacity for the new arena yet?

5500 but I am not sure how they land on that number. I know there are significant private box capacity but they usually double the tickets to seats for boxes. Plus I don’t know what they are doing for standing room etc. But, I think 5500 is a perfect number. It is big enough to make decent revenue and small enough to create scarcity which “should” allow them to move away from the huge push on group sales and discounts. It may allow them to change their target market enough to cultivate a true fanbase compared to what it is now, mostly casual fans that don’t really follow the league at all.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
But, I think 5500 is a perfect number.
I totally agree the perfect size OHL rink. Ottawa also will always have an 18-20K arena for the Sens and concert dates etc. In London its a bit different as we needed more then just an arena. However in hindsight another 2500 seats for the Knights wouldn't have hurt either?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I totally agree the perfect size OHL rink. Ottawa also will always have an 18-20K arena for the Sens and concert dates etc. In London its a bit different as we needed more then just an arena. However in hindsight another 2500 seats for the Knights wouldn't have hurt either?

I’m not sure if the extra 2500 seats would help. The one thing that is good is scarcity. When tickets aren’t always available, it really pushes season tickets as well as advance sales. When you have so many seats that you can virtually walk up to the gate every game and buy a ticket, it doesn’t create that sense of urgency. I’m not sure what that sweet spot number is for London but I think 12,500 is getting into that zone where scarcity starts to wane and availability creeps in.

Reactions: sbpointer

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
PETERBORO should have built new instead of upgrades....no?
A little simpler said then done. The new building idea sounds great but who has 500 million plus to build a new facility.

Look at the Bayshore Community Centre in Owen Sound it's over 40 years old and just signed a new 10 year lease that was valued at half a million dollars. In which continued improvements will happen over those years. The PMC might have more age being close to a 70 year old facility, but the real question would be would the city of Peterborough and the taxpayers of the liftlock city want to pay the next decade plus on a building that would likely cost 500-700 million likely by the time it's completed. Cause it wouldn't just be the building it would mean that the city of Peterborough would either have to demolish the old facility and build on it's footprint or find land in the the city to build a new facility.

Lots of OHL cities either don't want to spend the money on new facilities or don't have a council that would want to front that type of investment right off the top. Even when the city of Brantford was approached by Andlauer and the Bulldogs the investment price tag was close to 8 million and that cost was split between the city and Andlauer.

So no I can't see the city of Peterborough or the Petes building a new facility anytime soon, plus there really isn't anything wrong with upgrading current facilities. North Bay upgraded the Memorial Centre in 2014 and its a fine facility. Just because fans would want a new facility doesn't necessarily mean that more people would be interested in paying for it.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
A little simpler said then done. The new building idea sounds great but who has 500 million plus to build a new facility.

Look at the Bayshore Community Centre in Owen Sound it's over 40 years old and just signed a new 10 year lease that was valued at half a million dollars. In which continued improvements will happen over those years. The PMC might have more age being close to a 70 year old facility, but the real question would be would the city of Peterborough and the taxpayers of the liftlock city want to pay the next decade plus on a building that would likely cost 500-700 million likely by the time it's completed. Cause it wouldn't just be the building it would mean that the city of Peterborough would either have to demolish the old facility and build on it's footprint or find land in the the city to build a new facility.

Lots of OHL cities either don't want to spend the money on new facilities or don't have a council that would want to front that type of investment right off the top. Even when the city of Brantford was approached by Andlauer and the Bulldogs the investment price tag was close to 8 million and that cost was split between the city and Andlauer.

So no I can't see the city of Peterborough or the Petes building a new facility anytime soon, plus there really isn't anything wrong with upgrading current facilities. North Bay upgraded the Memorial Centre in 2014 and its a fine facility. Just because fans would want a new facility doesn't necessarily mean that more people would be interested in paying for it.
i feel like you could have said the same thing with about 90 percent less words lol

bigsportsfan

Sep 28, 2012

While I agree that there is nothing wrong with fixing up an older arena, your price of $500 million is outrageous. Construction prices took a big jump after COVID but prices will not continue to increase at that rate. Brantford is looking at building a 5000 seat arena for around $120 - $140 million and I believe Peterborough's estimate is around the same.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
While I agree that there is nothing wrong with fixing up an older arena, your price of $500 million is outrageous. Construction prices took a big jump after COVID but prices will not continue to increase at that rate. Brantford is looking at building a 5000 seat arena for around $120 - $140 million and I believe Peterborough's estimate is around the same.
I can believe that. Though the St. Cathrines arena built in a town with a tight labour market would cost >$200M.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
This is the debate we have in the Petes thread. I personally love the PMC. I think it's done an incredible job of preserving the history of the arena while bringing it closer to modern standards (no it's not on par with a new build but there are also so many things in the building that would be lost in a new build).

The flip side is whether there are things like the air conditioning, power plant, roof, etc... that at some point can't be repaired any further. I don't know enough about the infrastructure of the building to say one or another.

There has also been the question of players not reporting because the gym/locker room/whatever aren't up to speed with new builds but somehow those things aren't an issue any more since the team started winning and developing NHL players with regularity again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad