GDT: Game 41: Columbus at Phoenix | 1/2 9PM EST

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Kamel thinks Mac will start the next game after this SO.... even if Bob is ready....

If I were coach and Bob was ready he would start next game, Bob is the starter.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Horton on NHL Tonight...smiling...and happy to be on the ice with his teammates

Nate always smiles.... I had the pleasure to meet the guy at a game in Buffalo early this season... (he was injured but at the game hotel)...

A great guy, all Blue Jacket heart and soul!!!! Wanted to sign every thing my family had for free....

I'm not sure what his future in Columbus will be but imo if we can't make it with Nathan Horton we ain't going to make it with anyone... truth

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Yes! I thought there was snow on my dish so I went out to check, the pre-game was all messed up and the sound was choppy off and on all night.

The feed was giving me problems all throughout the first period, and during first intermission the channel went out for a minute, but after that it was fine for the rest of the night.

Anyways, nice to see Horton score his first goal, but also nice to see our special teams bounce back, hopefully that's the start of a positive trend.

Last edited:

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Nice road win! Cmac was solid, Horton was better than I expected in his first game in 6 months. His passes were smart, he went to the hard areas of the net, which we've never really had that presence. He instantly made the PP better. When he gets his lungs and "great thighs" in game condition, he's going to be really fun to watch! It's so nice to see a guy come in and make such a huge effort to be a team guy.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
WOW that's the goal that's gonna get the defenders out?!? In what way did RJ Umberger have a good game tonight? And the reason he has as many goals as Atkinson is because of golden opportunities he gets on the ice because of quality linemates and his overall time on ice. Where should Umberger be ranked in average forward TOI on this team? Where is he ranked?? Why doesn't he get bumped down to the 4th line with no PP time after poor outings(with an 's')??

You got to be kidding.

also: McShutout!!! And hello, Nathan, my what nice thighs you have

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Cam needs to step up. I love the kid and I really hope he finds his game, but undersized 20 goal scorers get sent down to the AHL on alot of teams. At times he is a top 6 forward based on scoring alone (particularly when Calvert is on the ice), but when he is cold, its understandable why he'd get bumped to the 4th....and its not going to get any roomier with Calvert and then Gaborik coming back. At some point the potential needs to become reality. I have no doubt he is capable of 30 goals a season if he can find a way to get his shot off 1-2 times more a game.

Horton's effect on the team was huge, and partially passive imo. What he did on the ice was great, big goal, rather routine though. But what I think really helped was just his presence on the bench along with Bob. I think some heads were hanging low after losing the last 2 well played games, and the cavalry arrived just in time.

McBackup was good, but give me Bob asap. I want the guy who won the Vezina last season back on the ice, for better or worse in the short term. Bob has shown some early struggles in the past, I'd just as soon play through those now rather than down the road.

JJ's offense has been down this season, but it doesn't seem to be from a lack of effort. I see him pinching a bit less though, but thats not always bad. Defensively I think he's been better than last season.

Last edited:

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Cam needs to step up. I love the kid and I really hope he finds his game, but undersized 20 goal scorers get sent down to the AHL on alot of teams. At times he is a top 6 forward based on scoring alone (particularly when Calvert is on the ice), but when he is cold, its understandable why he'd get bumped to the 4th....and its not going to get any roomier with Calvert and then Gaborik coming back. At some point the potential needs to become reality. I have no doubt he is capable of 30 goals a season if he can find a way to get his shot off 1-2 times more a game.

I remember RJ when he played with Nash.... pretty good. I'm not saying Cam doesn't need to pick it up but he has as many goals as RJ and a much better +/-...

Atkinson makes any line he plays on better...

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I remember RJ when he played with Nash.... pretty good. I'm not saying Cam doesn't need to pick it up but he has as many goals as RJ and a much better +/-...

Atkinson makes any line he plays on better...

I could probably support either side of that argument, but thats irrelevant as the coaching staff stated their opinion tonight at game time. RJ was the 3rd star and scored a big goal imo. I thought the tone of the game changed after that goal. I don't see them moving him down in favor of Cam. Cam has more offensive upside than RJ, but he's streaky, and in a funk. If he finds his scoring touch, and Calvert and Gaborik come back, then things get very interesting for this team.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
I could probably support either side of that argument, but thats irrelevant as the coaching staff stated their opinion tonight at game time. RJ was the 3rd star and scored a big goal imo. I thought the tone of the game changed after that goal. I don't see them moving him down in favor of Cam. Cam has more offensive upside than RJ, but he's streaky, and in a funk. If he finds his scoring touch, and Calvert and Gaborik come back, then things get very interesting for this team.

I can live with most of that comment too... Between you and me I'm getting a tad concerned about Calvert's health of late... we need Calvert on the ice not off it..

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
With Horton in the lineup I really like having Umberger in the top 6. It's a really big, fast, hard working, gritty top 6 that can pot goals and shutdown teams defensively. Add Calvert and Gaborik back into the lineup and there's no reason our top 9 shouldn't be pretty high octane.

Dubinsky Ansimov Horton
Foligno Johansen Gaborik
Calvert Jenner Atkinson
Comeau Dmac Troop?

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Horton on NHL Tonight...smiling...and happy to be on the ice with his teammates
They said he was smiling during warm up, after his first shift, after his first goal and after the game.
It seemed like the players were just as happy as he was with his debut. When he scored, apparently, the entire bench jumped up in excitement. Yes, when you score, players do jump up/get up but from the sounds of it according to Rimer, it seemed like the players were super pumped because it was Horton. Then after the game, when they were congratulating each other, Bob had a huge smile and gaved Horton a big hug. Then Horton proceeded to give Cmac a big hug. They seemed energized. Hopefully everyone wasn't pumped because it was his first game in many months. I'm hoping Horton's presence is getting everyone fired up. Hopefully if they're pumped up, they get into a nice role and go on a winning/point streak and be the team getting chased for a playoff spot, not the team chasing another team to get in.

Last edited:

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
:laugh: I feel bad for Rick... great player with marginal heart... I don't think he'll make the HOF.

Perhaps not, but he's probably going to have big scoring numbers and now plays in NY. What if the Rangers win a couple of Cups? New York media would blow a fuse, in that case. Most players don't have HoF careers, but it's not yet out of the question for Rick.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
With Horton in the lineup I really like having Umberger in the top 6. It's a really big, fast, hard working, gritty top 6 that can pot goals and shutdown teams defensively. Add Calvert and Gaborik back into the lineup and there's no reason our top 9 shouldn't be pretty high octane.

Dubinsky Ansimov Horton
Foligno Johansen Gaborik
Calvert Jenner Atkinson
Comeau Dmac Troop?

???

Wow, that changed fast! From top six to off the team?

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Big win for the CBJ.

I know I have been hard on McBackup, but gratz to him for a strong game against his former team. I have no problem with him getting the next start only because you can never rest a groin for to long. Let that baby be 100% healed for sure.

Great to see Horton get the winning goal. I think his attitude will only help this young team.

I really am not worried about Cam yet. He is still a young guy learning his way.

Umby is Umby. The guy gets goals by cleaning up in front of the net. That is what he needs to do. He won't be flashy no matter how much we want him to be. Play hard, get to the net, and clean up rebounds. That is his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad