Low Effort GDT Game 4 | Why has God forsaken us! - Sens vs Devils - 7PM EST on TSN

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I don't think it's a coincidence that one game they score 8 and the next they almost get shut out. I don't think the team is shooting from consistent areas of the ice. When you watch Florida play, they do the same thing to every team. They win battles on the boards and work the puck into the slot where they shoot with traffic in front. Simple, reliable, and consistent.

Ottawa's doing some things better than last year, I think they're looking more sound defensively, and I think the dmen are doing a good job at pinching and keeping the puck in the offensive zone, but they're still scoring goals the same way as they were last season, which are these off the rush plays or floaters from the perimeter. They need to do a much better job at working pucks into consistent scoring areas, and learn that offensive possession is sometimes a marathon, not a sprint.

I'm not expecting them to learn that right away after 4 games into the season, especially when DJ made no attempts to turn them into that type of team but they need to get there eventually. Right now there's a focus on structured disciplined defense, and I think it's paying off at 5v5, but they've got a long way to go on their offensive game.
Absolutely. This team isn’t a juggernaut. But this was losing “the right way” that people speak of. Played solid. Hit some posts. Other team scored a lucky one. Cest la vie.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Did you watch the Rangers against the Panthers in the playoffs last year?

Of course they manhandled us for portions of the game. They’re the Cup champs with a good chance to repeat. They manhandled the Bruins two nights before, too.

In terms of our play this year, outside of the Montreal game, it’s been fine. Not amazing, but not oh my god panic either.

expecting your goalie to channel his inner hasek is not reliable. and if that's what you have to do you aren't a good team anyway and it won't be long before you break that goalie.

the panthers game was an NHL team vs AHL team.

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
expecting your goalie to channel his inner hasek is not reliable. and if that's what you have to do you aren't a good team anyway and it won't be long before you break that goalie.

I don’t think you watched the game, if that’s what you think.

Reactions: swiftwin

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
I'm responding to people on a message board? That's the whole point of this back and forth?

You can't be this bad at reading comprehension? No wonder why you idolized that dork.
Why are you telling people on a message board that "we shouldn't use it as an excuse" as if we have any agency in how the players play?

I'm making an observation that we played well but didn't get the bounces. That's an observation, not an excuse. An excuse implies that I have any agency in this, which I do not.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Emotional past lol coming from the guy who will still come out and faithfully fellate Pierre any time he's mentioned.

All I'm saying is that with the core group of guys that we've had, even under a new coach, the whole "bad bounces, we'll get em next time!" sophomoric attitude is really getting old. This team needs to nut the f*** up and make their own luck if we want to sniff the post season.

It's shocking to me that people aren't concerned already considering our last 4-5 season starts.

The only way this team will ever exorcise their demons is to come out of the gate strong. Playing "ok" hockey isn't going to cut it.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

No it wasn’t. If it was then we simple would have gotten blown out.

We played fine. We played a defensive game in periods 2 and 3 because the panthers are better than us. No doubt.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
It's shocking to me that people aren't concerned already considering our last 4-5 season starts.

The only way this team will ever exorcise their demons is to come out of the gate strong. Playing "ok" hockey isn't going to cut it.
We came out of the gate strong last season, 3-1-0.

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
i did, was crazy. 2nd half of the game was like Florida was on a continuous powerplay.

Lol, okay then. Florida had zone time sure, but for the most part, we’re kept to the outside. And when we needed him, Ullmark stepped up, as he should since he’ll be paid like a top 5 goalie.

You’re clearly seeing only what you want to see. But that’s fine.

The only “bad” game we’ve played so far was against Montreal.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
But Brady has done it before, he did it last game against LA, he was crashing the net like a mad man and bullying dmen in the corners. Then tonight against NJ he's hovering around waiting for the play to develop around him.

I almost wonder if it'd be better to take him off Timmy's line. Stützle might be a bit too chaotic for a guy like Tkachuk who should really stick to a simple game.

Perron and Cousins I'm not too concerned, they were brought in to be supporting players. Perron needs to be a bit better, but Cousins is on a league min, I'm not expecting much from him.
The point I'm trying to make is that we can't and shouldn't always rely on Brady to do the grunt work. It leads to him getting into fights and getting sent off for 5 minutes.

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024

0-4 or 1-3 would be bad starts. 2-2 is par for the course for a team aiming for a wildcard. Not great but fine. We’ll be in the mix with the Islanders, Pens and Capitals. We won’t be in the mix with the Panthers, Leafs or Rangers. As expected.

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
They hit a billion posts.

Forsberg was good enough. I will give him his props. One goal was a double deflection. He did what he had to do.

I didn't think it was a bad game all things considered. The score made it seem more lopsided than it was.
Agreed,

I have to wonder if our four posts were post an in instead of posts and out, how many people complaining about how we played would be talking about how dominant we were,

I thought we played well, got a bit sloppy late in the game trying to open it up for a goal though, but that's to be expected with no time left and down by a field goal.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Lol, okay then. Florida had zone time sure, but for the most part, we’re kept to the outside. And when we needed him, Ullmark stepped up, as he should since he’ll be paid like a top 5 goalie.

You’re clearly seeing only what you want to see. But that’s fine.

The only “bad” game we’ve played so far was against Montreal.

our standards have become so low. 7 years of losing i guess.

i mean makes sense cuz the high standard for this team is to basically be in the playoff race in game 20 lol.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
It's not even worth arguing with you when you do this bad faith shit. You're not even trying anymore.
I'm pointing out that our record after the first 4 games doesn't mean shit. I'm more interested in how the team is playing, which so far in 3 of the 4 games has been pretty good.

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
our standards have become so low.

i mean makes sense cuz the high standard for this team is to basically be in the playoff race in game 20 lol.

Our standards, or should I say expectations, are 94-96 points. And that’s the type of team we’ve played like so far.

There’s no reason to think we won’t be in the wildcard mix based on our play so far.

But if you were expecting that much better? That’s really on you.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
You know, I really like Brady, but sometimes he just confuses me. He can physically dominate just about any player in the league, but often he just... doesn't. Too often he just floats around on the perimeter, trying to react to Timmy or G like he's some sniper. Like go to the net guy. He should be abusing dmen and getting in the goalie's face every shift. Run guys through the board. That guy should run through the slot like a bull every single shift, but he'll do this hanging back thing like he's going to pick a corner from the top of the faceoff circle or he's going to make a Karlsson type pass and find G for a tap in.
Hahahaha I wonder this too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad