GDT: Game 38: Columbus at St. Louis | 4/5 8:00 PM EDT | The most critical edition of them

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
Really hoping Wiz is seeing his final games as a Blue Jacket, I can't stand to watch him on the ice, he's always a liability.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It's time...
tank.gif_thumb.jpg

People have been posting pictures of tanks all season. Give it up, because this team isn't going to.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY

Can't say I didn't anticipate it. Also, nice to be pissed at losing a game at this juncture I guess, rather than ambilvalent. Still, it's cold comfort.

Yeah, this was not a moral victory, they did try but in the end we couldn't score when we needed it.. Well, not legally I guess..

It stings, but the playoffs are still possible.. the Blues and Wings can't win every game.

I bet Hashmarks is laughing her ass off right now....

EpicDegree

Aug 31, 2007
cbuscheapseats.blogspot.com
Ugh... A loss like this one is really irritating. But if we can get back to winning it won't be a big deal.

I see Wiz has become the whipping boy. I thought Prout looked much worse, and the second goal was on Aucoin. The stupid Hitch hockey is annoying to watch.

I can't be 100% sure, but I thought Wiz turned the puck over in the neutral zone that started the odd man rush in the first place. So to me, it is on both of them.

Regardless, Wiz was not good tonight.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
"The Not Quite Ready for Prime Time Players"

I totally believed they'd get the tying goal, though, which is a change from most seasons.

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
People have been posting pictures of tanks all season. Give it up, because this team isn't going to.
I started that tradition, and I'll finish it. That was probably the nail in the coffin. If by some miracle we happen to make the playoffs, we get swept in Bob is less than a demi-god.

Tank.

So much Wiz hate when the goal was also on Aucoin.
Aucoin needs to do more mentoring and less playing. What a liability.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It's beatable. But you've gotta relentlessly attack. The guys are waiting for a moment instead of making one. Need to find that desperation.

I agree, and watching teams struggle against the trap always makes me think that way. When we're down a goal against a trap team, we need to skate 3 or 4 abreast in to the zone with speed. Instead what happens is that 1 or 2 guys dump and chase and the other team will just outnumber us. We lost most of those battles in the third because we didn't have numbers on the puck. I blame conservative (defence-minded) coaching.

Why not use the timeout? Or pull Bob sooner?

I totally agree about pulling the goalie sooner. With Duby out there to win draws, you might as well go 6 on 4 from the start.

Coaches are typically far too conservative. Some coaches will even have the players ice the puck if they are down a goal and killing a penalty in the final two minutes, and thus won't even try to score.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
From a standings perspective, this is a crusher.

-2 points for the regulation loss
-1 point for 8th place going from 40 to 41

If Detroit wins, it's -1 more.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
We did not work hard enough. No consistent fore check and we were beat on the boards.

I think you're right.. we didn't work hard though to match the opponent, we did work hard though... Timely penalties for the Blues and the depression from having a goal called off didn't help...

In the end I think the Blues out played us, they had an excellent game plan and it worked... Allen was playing on rookie testosterone..

I don't care for Hitchcok but he does know how to play the odds and is still a very good head coach for the short haul...

Richards got an education tonight..

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think you're right.. we didn't work hard though... Timely penalties for the Blues and the depression from having a goal called off didn't help...

In the end I think the Blues out played us, they had an excellent game plan and it worked... Allen was playing on rookie testosterone..

I don't care for Hitchcok but he does know how to play the odds and is still a very good head coach for the short haul...

Richards got an education tonight..

We outplayed the Blues for the first 40 minutes, and they trapped us for the final 20. The Blues don't deserve credit.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
From a standings perspective, this is a crusher.

-2 points for the regulation loss
-1 point for 8th place going from 40 to 41

If Detroit wins, it's -1 more.

As I said in pregame, our season depended on this game. You know, unless we go 10-1-0 the rest of the way

major major

Feb 18, 2013
As I said in pregame, our season depended on this game. You know, unless we go 10-1-0 the rest of the way

Put a ":sarcasm:" next to your post if you mean to be funny, that is unless you seriously believe it will take 59 points to make the playoffs.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Yes, its on us. I'm just refusing to credit the Blues here. They were outplayed. The only thing they did well is trap.

I thought the first two periods were close to even, the third was better played by the Blues...

I hate saying this but the Blues earned that win...

btw.... the Wings are tied if that helps... ;)

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Put a ":sarcasm:" next to your post if you mean to be funny, that is unless you seriously believe it will take 59 points to make the playoffs.

It was more sarcasm that we have to go 10-1-0, but we have to string together some serious wins, and i don't think we will be able to do it.

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg
I thought the first two periods were close to even, the third was better played by the Blues...

I hate saying this but the Blues earned that win...

btw.... the Wings are tied if that helps... ;)

We outshot them by almost ten shots, including 8-3 in the third. If anything, they adjusted in the third by trapping us, and we didn't adapt to that. They have a total of 10 shots against us in the third (all of our games combined). You can't fall behind a team like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad